Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I can also see Greenwich park from my balcony (where they are having equestrian events) and I'm looking forward to watching that camera zip across the river. Whatever happens it should be interesting at least.

Nah, that's not for a camera, in a true London Tyburn style, I reckon that's a scaffold for the head bloke from G4S. That'll get a crowd...

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
So the uniforms for the US will be Made in America for 2014 (and rightly so, IMO), but Jay Leno made a good point during his monologue last night. He said something to the effect of "the Chinese, making cheap clothes for Americans, and there's a problem with that? That's what we do everyday!". It was pretty funny because he really hit it on the head.

Whatever happened to surfing as an Olympic event? :confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
So, five days to go... and at unplanned short notice, I'm leaving London for a week or so to visit an aging relative, so won't be around for some of what's going on outside the paid events.

As the Olympic torch parade is now slowly making its way around the various suburbs and towns of outer London, here's something that happened this morning, that in a million years, you'd never be able to persuade me to do:

Olympic-torch-on-London-E-008.jpg

Amelia-Hempleman-Adams-on-010.jpg

Full video here

And today, the sun has finally come out. :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Chris Hoy has been chosen to head out Team GB in the Opening Ceremony. A great choice out of a field of possible worthies IMO :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Chris Hoy has been chosen to head out Team GB in the Opening Ceremony. A great choice out of a field of possible worthies IMO :)
I'd say so.

I see also there's been a bit of a debate as to who we'll select to light the flame at the opening ceremony. I can only assume that if there's a debate going on that means Sir Steve Redgrave is unavailable?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'd say so.

I see also there's been a bit of a debate as to who we'll select to light the flame at the opening ceremony. I can only assume that if there's a debate going on that means Sir Steve Redgrave is unavailable?
Even our list of ex-Olympians is nothing to sneeze at if they're going with that idea. Not Paula Radcliffe though please, we know what she does in public and it's not appropriate :D

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I would have voted for Jessica Ennis to fly the flag, she is an incredible athlete and the pin up girl of these olympics.
Can't wait for friday night, I shall be in Stratford soaking up the atmosphere.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Can't wait for friday night, I shall be in Stratford soaking up the atmosphere.

That sounds cool. I’m quite jealous.

Two of my friends have been involved in the run-up to the event. One ran with the torch yesterday, raising awareness of her small charity; the other is one of the dancers in the opening ceremony itself.

By all accounts from last night’s, the opening ceremony sounds quite special and will be a must-see. There’s a piece in today’s Independent about the BBC meeting with the organisers to discuss Huw Edward’s commentary.

Edwards, who is anchoring the BBC's coverage, asked Boyle to drop his hostility to plans to provide viewers with a running commentary on the production.

Boyle has stressed the critical importance of the musical soundtrack to his £27m opening extravaganza, which will be released as a digital download "Isles of Wonder" almost immediately after the ceremony.

But Edwards and the BBC's head of Olympic coverage, Roger Mosey, met with the Slumdog Millionaire director last week to explain the need to layer pieces of commentary over the music to give "context" to less obvious elements of the spectacular, which is inspired by Shakespeare's The Tempest.

In short, they’d like him to shut up. :D

Good news for UK viewers is that the BBC will be:

offering a "no commentary" option for viewers with cable or satellite television.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
It's a pity they can't put the same amount of effort into getting the regional news working on their 2 standard HD channels.
I'd settle for ANY regional news on BBC1HD, rather than that stupid piece of text they throw up for the moment. What's wrong with rotating it, so that you get Wales one day, North-East England the next, etc.?

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
London
the real outrage is that logo.
+1

on another note, i work very close to Stratford so i have seen the Olympic Park being built up over the months. Some work collegaues went to the rehersal of the opener last night, from what i heard its going to be amazing. Apperently it starts of slow and boring but once in full flow its impressive.

I am looking forward to seeing the cycling, swimming and a few other events.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Even our list of ex-Olympians is nothing to sneeze at if they're going with that idea. Not Paula Radcliffe though please, we know what she does in public and it's not appropriate :D

It isn't that it's inappropriate, it's just that she may inadvertently extinguish the flame that's had an arduous journey in a transit van for so long ;)

----------

So the uniforms for the US will be Made in America for 2014 (and rightly so, IMO), but Jay Leno made a good point during his monologue last night. He said something to the effect of "the Chinese, making cheap clothes for Americans, and there's a problem with that? That's what we do everyday!". It was pretty funny because he really hit it on the head.

Whatever happened to surfing as an Olympic event? :confused:

Took a few minutes to click "2014", but it's for the winter olympics, I'd bet a load of gear will be by Burton.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Can someone explain to me why the "opening ceremony" is Friday ?

I mean there is competition going on right now. Doesn't make much sense to me.
I believe it's because they wouldn't be able to condense some of the events into the fortnight or so the Olympics last – so said events start their initial rounds before the official opening.

It's not all bad though – it's given us a chance to get the first Olympic cock up deployed even before the Games officially start. Well, I say us – I'm blaming the Scots for this one. ;)

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I believe it's because they wouldn't be able to condense some of the events into the fortnight or so the Olympics last*– so said events start their initial rounds before the official opening.

It's not all bad though – it's given us a chance to get the first Olympic cock up deployed even before the Games officially start. Well, I say us – I'm blaming the Scots for this one. ;)

Perhaps it could be an Olympic "jock" up. Sadtrombone.com

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

Haha. I hadn't heard of that one.

One thing that does keep grating me is the way journalists were talking about Spain as the current World and Euro champions. The grumpy old man in me says that this doesn't matter. This is a totally different competition and almost has nothing to do with how Spain have done in other competitions.

Case in point for today match!

Well played Japan!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I heard a rumor... Is it true that the Olympics are about to start? :rolleyes:

With all the hype it's hard to miss the countdown. And in fact the soccer matches have already started, but I won't start camping out on the sofa until the opening ceremonies.

NBC may lose money on their broadcast rights deal. Their success in the U.S. may hinge on whether they can run enough ads for their own shows to get people to watch them, and profit from the boost in viewers after the Olympics end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.