Look no further: A Complete iPhone 5 Rumor round-up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Reach9, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Stop all the threads asking about what to expect for the iPhone 5.
    Nowhereelse.fr has put together a complete iPhone 5 rumor roundup. Its based on percentage of likeliness of the rumor being true. You can check it out here:

http://youtu.be/6iS_gc3c42s

Few things i disagree with though:

1) 40% chance of a curved design? I think it's much lower than that.
    2) 70% chance of NFC? I'm not quite sure of that either.
    3) 30% chance of a better battery? I think we'll be needing more to sustain the bigger screen and internals
    4) 60% chance of 64GB storage? I highly doubt it, it should be much less
    5) 50% chance of LTE/4G? More like 10%
    6) The only thing they missed was that the silent/ring switch might be on the other side, and that the iPhone 5 might be bigger than the iPhone 4.

It's a great round-up though, and the mock-up looks very similar to the ones MR posted as well, I think we can expect the iPhone 5 to be similar as well.

What do you guys think?

2. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i saw the video and i think is the best one for the iPhone 5.Thanks for posting it

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

As no one really knows what the iPhone 5 will include, I'm not sure how you can say for sure that some of these percentages should be lower or higher.

4. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Because i believe that the likelihood of those features coming to fruition is different than the video's take.

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Likelihood, not fact.

6. Reach9, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
    Welcome to MacRumors.

7. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I joined 2 months ago. :) You should've welcomed me then. :)

8. Muro macrumors 6502

If the casing of this device is made from all glass...I say bring it out now, beautiful. Although the 4 comes out quite chunky in comparison with the 5, I still find it a unique and great phone in the iPhone range and if Apple will go back to a curved and more tappered back design, the uniqueness of the 4 will only become bigger for that matter they can also make me happy by slimming down the 4 and giving it a bigger screen. But whatever they do/did I really hope they didn't changed the material from glass to aluminium or something...in design perspective the glass material is what gave the iPhone 4 it's premium status in comparison to the cheaper looking and feeling devices from the competitors. Despite the fact it easily scratches and it's vulnerability...any other cheaper material will be like a step back in iPhone history. Multitouch is what made me like the iPhone but the feel of the 4 design is what made me love the damn thing. My apologise for not mentioning anything about the content, on this stage I only care for on how this, already mystical, device will look like. In other words:

Interrested in design : 100%
    Interrested in content : 50%

A bit shallow, I know :)

9. aohus macrumors 68000

NFC? lol no chance

no home button? no chance at all. imagine explaining to everyone how to use the iPhone again.

10. jonrando macrumors 6502a

What would there be to explain? Apple is pretty good at telling users how to use something.

11. Muro macrumors 6502

12. Le Buzz macrumors member

If the back is glossy I am going to be very upset.

13. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

14. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

Interesting video, I'd like to see some of these changes implemented. Especially the larger screen.

15. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Good video, but your opinions seem more logical as well.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

17. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Very nice rendering there. Looks spot on... Except for that rocker switch again... Just not sure Apple would go back to that. May have to though, with a curved back.

18. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I don't wanna be a jerk, but I think the numbers they came up with are probably more researched that what any of us know.

My guess is that the percentages they came up with are pretty much accurate.

The 4G/LTE i agree should be lower than 50% but the dreamer in me is just wishing that to be true haha.

SSD tech is reducing in price like CRAZY so a 64GB version should be expected if you ask me.

On the other hand, 30% for the battery is right because Lithium technology just hasn't advanced that much. The battery already takes 55% of the space, can't make it too much bigger.

19. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Most of those percentages are either way off or a complete waste of time (CDMA - 100%? DUH)

"Look no further"? ughh...

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ya, the arbitrary percentages killed my enjoyment of this.

arn

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Cool video, The percentages are a bit moot, it's either going to happen or not, no point it assessing the bits in between. Good find overall. :)

He made it pretty clear that the percentages he changed were of his own opinion.

22. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed completely, i was thinking of "very unlikely, unlikely, likely, very likely" metric would be best suited.

Only thing i'm wondering is, what will the back be made of? Will Apple go back to plastic, or will it be liquid metal, or rounded glass?
    Because the render looks like a very defined iPhone 3G/S

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm inclined to think Apple is going to stay away from plastic, they seem to want to use higher grade materials regardless of the fragility of device. Here's hoping for aluminium/liquid metal. Actually, anything but glass would great.

24. jaytv111 macrumors regular

Is Liquid metal the stuff that bounces? Gosh I hope the iPhone doesn't bounce away from you like a Lacrosse ball, that'd be a great way to lose it in public :D

25. Muro macrumors 6502

Haha...I know it sounds awkward but try it for once, when holding the iPhone, doesn't matter in which position, your indexfinger is always positioned at the back and from there it is really simple to press it. But I made this not from a practical view but more from the perspective to come up with more creative ideas on smartphonedesign. As the majority of the smartphones have a lack of creativity imo, just look what Samsng does, ripping off Apple.