Looking for a new watch...Advice/Ideas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Greg_C, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Greg_C macrumors member

It seems like there are plenty of members here who know a thing or two about watches, so I figured I'd ask for some input before I make a purchase. I'm looking to buy my first "nice" watch, something that's a definite upgrade from my current Fossil. I definitely want a metal band and black or silver face with a chronograph. The absolute maximum I'll spend is $500, but I'd prefer to find a watch to my liking closer to $350...I don't spend money on myself often, so I do want to get something nice, I guess it's a bit of a reward for a 4.0 GPA during my first semester of college. I don't know too much about watches, but I've been doing some reading/research recently...Some brands I've considered are Citizen, Seiko, Tissot, and Victorinox/Swiss Army. My current favorite is the Victorinox Chrono Classic. I haven't been able to find much information or many reviews of Victorinox watches, so I would be interested in what anyone has to say about the brand and their watches. Finally, if anyone has links to reputable online watch retailers that would be great. I'd like to buy my watch at a store, but it seems like some makes/models are much easier to find online, and I would only want to buy through certified, well-known online stores. Thanks in advance!

2. 7254278 macrumors 68020

This is just personal opinion but I believe Seiko and Citizen are usually considered as watches that are very nice but generally cheap, not very classy and look like rolex knock offs(I kind of like em but that seems to be the general consensus about them). I do however love Tissot, great price and very class and swiss army ones look very snassy as well.

3. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I really like Skagen watches. They are really good quality, look amazing (very slim designs), and are very affordable (~$100-150). I have these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have received compliments on both.

http://www.skagen.com/home.fx

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies. Some of the Skagen watches look really nice, I might consider looking at those as well. Unfortunately the Hamilton watches that I liked were out of my price range, as are all the offerings from Mont Blanc. I'm open to more suggestions/recommendations, and any information on Victorinox/Swiss Army or online watch retailers would be great. Thanks again!

7. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Movado watches are sexy.

I know a guy friend of mine bought one online on the cheap. He even took it to the Movado store at the mall for a new battery and the worker was surprised he got it at a discount.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

i just added this little bad boy to my collection this weekend

[​IMG]

the one on the right breitling bentley GMT. I cant stop staring at it. :D

in your price range i reccomend you look at skagen like someone else mentioned, I also saw some nice burberry watches this weekend and a few kenneth cole watches were nice for a lot cheaper.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's the "general consensus" on a watch, and where did you find it?

Citizen makes some nice watches. If you're worried about a watch's brand image, a Citizen watch would carry more value than a Skagen, because as much as people like Skagen, the watch business is a largely traditional business, where traditional brands will carry more value in the eyes of people who see your watch.

Nobody is going to laugh at you if you buy a Citizen. No way.

Tissot has been a part of Swatch for around 25 years. If you think Citizen and Seiko have an image of cheapness, then how do you think of Swatch? ;)

What type of "upgrade" are you looking for? Do you not like the appearance of your watch, or is it the brand name that isn't up to par?

I own a Tissot PRS-200, and I like my watch a lot. It's the only "nice" watch I own. I have one with a leather band because I think metal bands on metal watches make the watch look generic. Because of the brown leather strap, my watch visually jumps off my arm.

It's great, but like all watches, it tells time accurately. Every watch from $50 to $5000 will tell you the time accurately. The biggest difference between watches are rarely related to function. The difference in price is usually due to the brand name, or whether the watch was entirely mass produced. Cheap watches can look nice (e.g.: Skagen), and expensive watches can look cheap and ugly (e.g.: lots).

I think you should just find all the watches that you think look good. From there, choose the watch you like from the most respectable brand.

10. c073186 macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that because Citizen is a larger and more well-known brand that it will have a better image, or...? Just wondering.

11. 7254278 macrumors 68020

I was completely unaware that tissot was a part of swatch:eek: But as far as swatches go I love them, they are very unpretentious and they make tons of models for different occasions and they always look nice.

What I meant about Citizen and Seiko is just a personal opinion, lots of them look like rolex knock offs to me for some reason and I see a lot of high school kids wearing them, from far they look like very fancy and expensive watches and then you get closer and its just like meh, its just a big bulky Seiko that looks like a rolex. Purely personal opinion though.

Personally I dont own a ver expensive watch, I have a cheap Hamilton but as soon as I can afford it (if ever) I am DYING, to get me a Panerai Radomir GMT, too bad they are about 10k out of my budget.

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I think Citizens are very nice watches. They're extremely affordable and their Eco Drives are high quality stuff. They might look like some of the lower-end Rolexes but so do a lot of generic-looking metal-band watches. You're paying for the name, remember?

Personally in order to stay affordable, I'd go for a Citizen or Seiko, like previously mentioned. Very well-made watches, for a fraction of the price of high-end watches that don't have much else besides a fancier design and a high-class name, especially Rolexes. They tend to look pretty generic to me. Breitlings are another story.

Some of my favourite Citizens:
    http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D...1_17?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1230085529&sr=8-17

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1230085529&sr=8-20

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm kind of a Movado guy myself. Many different styles, quality movements either automatic or quartz:

Attached Files:

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like the one I circled a lot. What's the name so I can find/buy it?

Attached Files:

15. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

I just recieved the Citizen SkyHawk Black Eagle....Amazing watch...words can't describe it, neither do pictures. You gotta see it in real life

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That is a Raymond Weil tank watch. Weil also makes a very nice watch. Very nice pick. One of my few non-Movado's.

Attached Files:

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

/me goes shopping.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

At that price range, I like Nixon. I plan on getting one myself to spare my Rolex and Breitling the abuses of daily wear and tear.

Here's a link to Nixon.

19. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for all the replies, I really appreciate everyone's input. I like a couple of the Citizen models, and Eco Drive sounds great, but I think the dials might be too large. Some of the Nixon watches look pretty nice, but it seems that I've gotten stuck on getting a Swiss watch :D Looks like I'll be reaching the upper limits of my price range then, but I plan on keeping the watch for quite a long time and not buying another one for several years, so I think it's worth it.

By "upgrade" I just mean buying a watch from a more upscale brand. Fossil does make some great looking watches, and I do really like the one I have now. But the band is loosening from one side of the case, and I'd like to get myself something I'll enjoy wearing and appreciate having for quite awhile.

Right now my favorites are the Victorinox Chrono Classic and Tissot PRS200:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any input on these two or suggestions for a watch or brand I might be missing out on? Thanks again!

20. wronski macrumors 6502

21. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Nice thing about Fossil is that they have 11-year warranties.

And decorative tins that are also collector's items.

Why not buy another Fossil?

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not all Citizens are as large as the ones posted here.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D...10-53E/dp/B000ZPQRWA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have that one, and I love it. It's incredibly thin and light weight, plus it's an Eco-Drive. It has a very clean and empty face, which I'm a big fan of (but you may not be, after looking at the ones you posted).

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Kenneth Cole & Skagen are my faves for design and looks. The Skagens are just classic, refined-looking watches. Kenneth Cole can make a statement without being too over the top.

24. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well like I said, I own the PRS-200. The face of my watch is a dark-ish blue. It's a bit shiny, which makes it look nice. I wear it with a dark brown watchband, which looks lovely. I don't think it could pull off a black band, not with the blue face.

The black one above is also nice, as would a steel face. Would look good with a metallic or black leather band.

I have no complaints about my PRS-200, but like I said, all watches can tell you the time. Get the watch that's the best combination of "pretty" and "brand-name respectability". After all, you probably won't buy too many watches.

Just checked out Movado's website. Brilliant, beautiful watches. I LOVE THIS ONE!!!