Losing my Faith

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggibson913, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Maybe its just me but I am starting to lose my faith in the superiority of Apple product. Time was when u bought a Mac you got the best and latest hardware. Now things that I desire are only in PC. Lack of blu-ray which I think the only bag of hurt is the inclusion of blu-ray would make it less likely that folks would buy iTunes content. Also I have been annoyed at lack of and HDMI port so I can just plug it into my TV and watch whatever. What happened to itjust works mantra? Plus I can build a PC with better hardware 1 gig video card, i3, i5 ,i7 processor. What gives? Pay attention to consumer needs. Maybe its just me anyone else feel the same? Gripe here.

2. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I think everybody is done griping, dude.

Go ahead and build the PC, though. If it makes sense to you personally, you should do it. If you can't bring yourself to build it - ask yourself what's keeping you running an Apple?

3. TennisandMusic

Yeah it's a fairly common sentiment, but I wouldn't expect much sympathy here. People will mock you for what you're saying. However this board really doesn't reflect reality. If you check out other general tech sites, you would see most people laugh at what Apple offers to the public.

I'm a fan of Apple in general, and use PC's in conjunction with my macs, but lately I've been souring on the Mac experience as a whole. Clunky, buggy software, a slow OS with many, many crashes (programs, not OS necessarily, but a lot of those programs are Apple's own), etc. By contrast, Windows 7 has just been flying for me. Incredibly fast, zippy performance, and it allows me to be very productive. I seem to be more productive on Windows for whatever reason. It could be how everything seems geared towards that goal, while OSX is geared towards being pretty.

Apple seems to be good at getting ideas out there, but not really executing. At this point I hate my iPhone. It is a pain in the rear to use, apps crash ALL the time, and it's just choppy and slow to use. I have the 3G version. The next version will have to be amazing for me to stick with it and AT&T. It is not a good experience. I would look at an Android or Windows 7 phone on a better carrier later this year. On top of that, look at their software offerings. The iLife suite. Is anything happening with it? iMovie is TERRIBLE. iPhoto is ok, but very slow as well, and doesn't give you many options. Garageband is decent, maybe the best app in the suite. Not sure anything else is even worth looking at, but it's not a strong package. iWork is ok, could be better, but you can produce nice documents with it. I've done an internationally read newsletter in Pages, and it turned out pretty decent. Pro apps are largely behind these days, even with new updates. Don't even get people started on their computers.

So in the end, they seem to have good ideas, but it's all half-assed when it comes to execution. And they don't fix it. Or improve it. Because they don't need too. And the Apple zealots will not only defend it, but say it's the greatest blessings mankind has ever seen.

So no, don't feel bad or unsure of the fact that you are seeing the major holes in Apple's lineup. It's a natural consequence of their actions, and unless they turn things around I think this sort of thing will keep increasing.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Many people feel the same, my answer is that if there is another machine that suits your needs more then go for it. If BluRay > OS X then buy a PC. To me OS X > BluRay ... soooo /shrug. :cool:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nothing new in your complaints

The Blu-Ray issue has been discussed and beaten to death here
    The specs issue has as well

It comes down to your own personal choices and decisions

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So build it...:rolleyes:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If Apple, OS X, etc. are no longer meeting your needs then you should definitely go back to PCs.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Your user name has been forwarded to Cupertino. You will be excommunicated by the end of the week. Namaste.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Losing your faith?

It's a computer, not a religion. Buy the one that best suits your needs. Don't worry about faith.

Wow.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1
    While I've been a mac user since the Mac SE days, I down bow down to the alter of apple. Heck all of the arguments that the OP stated have in one form or another been around since apple produced Macs.

I buy a computer to get my work done, with the applications available and the stability of OSX with the lack of viruses its a no-brainer. Its a tool though not something I worship.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. No one is stopping you from building a PC. If I could choose now, I would buy a MacBook Pro to use when on go and then build a PC/Hackintosh and use it at home. I love Macs but I have nothing against PCs

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

For the vast majority of people who use computers, OSX is not very limited. Feature/media rich and easy to use.

MR users are a geekier bunch with higher expectations of hardware/software performance. Apple doesn't cater to us, it caters to the masses. Further, Apple doesn't want every customer - not by a long shot. It wants customers who fit into its business model. You want a mid-range tower? Apple doesn't want you as a customer, and that is okay with Cupertino. The end game is to build what Apple thinks will sell a lot, and be really really easy to use. The more integrated, and sometimes the fewer options, the better.

13. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Yep, everybody feels that way - I guess that explains the sales figures from last quarter.. XD

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I think at present things do look bad if you compare the existing Apple lineup to the latest releases of PC rivals, but Apple are due for a refresh soon, which will no doubt still look slightly pale in comparison.

The thing that will draw many of us to the new Apple products anyway will be the knowledge that most of us don't need 4 cores to get our work done, and we'd rather have the OS and build quality to compensate. I'm frustrated right now and many other guys are because we've really waited it out for this update, but it will come and the specs will look less dismal comparatively.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's just a platform for home computing. Nothing existential going on here. Simply a tool, nothing more. Buy and use the tools that suit you the best. Try not to get your ego all wrapped up in your choice.

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

i might buy my first Mac this year. currently have two iphones and a mac mini someone gave me. only reason i want to buy is that OS X is a usable UNIX and i want my 2 year old to learn computers starting with UNIX. and if i buy a laptop, i trust Apple's support more than Dell/HP

otherwise i don't see the point of paying all this money for a nice monitor or even an 8 hour battery. years ago i bought one of the first 16ms response time LCD for $750 when cheaper LCD's were half the price. will never do it again.

and with SJ's current rants about flash it's almost like he wants to destroy the company again with his walled garden strategy of scaring away development. Windows 7 runs just fine even on 5 year old hardware with 2GB RAM. Flash works just fine on Windows 7. Flash never crashes on me with Firefox. don't know about safari since i never use it. not even on my Mac

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Making the world's biggest candy bar doesn't make it the worlds best. Apple's philosophy has never been to just take every available technology and jam it in a box.

BD-R support would be nice, but I have no desire to watch BD movies on my computer w/ it's comparitively tiny screen and pissy speakers. Just a guess, but I'm thinking most people that have a BD player probably have a decent TV set up too.

HDMI out - go buy a mini display port dongle. Works great. You can buy the video only model for $14 or so or the model w/ audio for $35. Available at Monoprice. There are times when I want to watch a show on Hulu. I just pop in the adapter to my MBP and watch away.

Proc speed - the iMac has i5 and i7 options. The MBPs are coming soon as well as updated MPs, but the current MPs are nehelem so not sure what you are complaining about.

Video - Apple could do a much better job here. Much better. Its one of the few things that irritates me about Apple, especially now that they use the PCI standard. What good is a standard if Apple wires it so you can't use "standard" PC model cards. I can't imagine Apple makes a whole lot of money on video cards so it would be nice if they'd just open this up so the concept of "Mac Version" video cards would go away.

Bottom line For me though is Macs have been about productively and forgetting I'm using a complex machine we call a computer. I don't really like computers, just what they do. It's why I recoil thinking about Windows -- though I do, out of necessity -- have XP and 7 installed on various Macs.

And Apple's hardware material is top notch to. Using any PC after using a Mac just gives me the creeps.

18. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

OK maybe not Faith

Ok the faith comment is a little much. Getting ready to upgrade older MBP and doing a comparison. It has served me well in the 4 years I have had it, I am just saying that using Windows 7 it seems MS has maybe gotten their stuff together and value may be found elsewhere and having a tough time making a decision.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each individual has to make those choices on value for themselves
    I never try to convince anyone to buy a Mac or an iPhone
    It is the right choice for me, and I am the only one I make decisions for

20. glasscity macrumors member

One thing you have to realize is that we seem to be in the "just good enough" era of computing. Most people have realized that they don't actually need top of the line computing, they don't need a computer that can theoretically run at like 8.0ghz or whatever, they don't need a 1 gig video card or 8 gigs of ram or a 2 terabyte harddrive.

That's one of the reasons netbooks have become so popular, they're just good enough to do what people want to do. That and they're cheap, obviously.

But, I just purchased this macbook, and 2.26ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig HD, and it's good enough for what I need it to do, and for a long time to come. It's not the best thing out there, but it's damn good.

I think, also, people buy apple laptops and desktops for more than just top of the line hardware.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I understand what you're saying, but over the years, there have been MANY moments where Apple has fallen behind in speed.

In fact, I just checked the Lenovo and Sony websites to check out their laptops. :rolleyes:

However, until I see what Apple provides in terms of updated products, I'm not going to start running around frantically. If the laptops suck, then I'll have to consider other options. ;) Until then, I'll enjoy OS X.

22. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

There is not a single user here who is using a mac for the hardware side of it (except for quad core imac owners), the quad core imac is the only apple computer that is worth its value. Apple is smart. They dont have to worry about hardware because they know 90% of mac users will not go back to PCs for the sheer reason of not wanting to give up OSX. I came so close to hitting my last laptop against the wall, I shudder to think about ever owning a PC again.

23. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I hear you. Personally, I have the i7 iMac, so I feel like I get top technology for a very affordable price - this is value, though pretty exceptional for Apple.

What worries me more about Apple is that they seem to be transitioning to becoming a consumer electronics company selling iPods and iPhones, and iPads and it's marketing driven, not necessarily tech driven. If that really happens full on, they'll die in the long run - because the loyalty of the top creatives who use their products and evangelize the brand is crucial here. I think Apple is being very short-sighted.

Here's my evidence: they seem to be neglecting their pro software, in particular FCS which really has not had a decent upgrade in a loooong time (the last from FCS2 to FCS3 was a joke). And they just cut 40 jobs from the FCS development team - top programmers and really good quality engineers. Tells you quite a bit. Because sadly, the pro apps don't bring as much revenue as the various consumer products, so they short-sightedly are cutting back on investing in the pro apps, which will come back to bite them... but by then it will be too late.

I'm not an Apple fanatic - if they die, so be it. My only reason for worry is that we need competition. As Steve Jobs himself said some 20 years ago: the reason for Apple to exist is so that there is an alternative to Windows, because it would be a sad and depressing world if only Windows existed.

And unfortunately, he forgot the key here. Let's face it, it's Apple Inc. now, not Apple Computers. And so both OS X and pro apps and computers are being neglected, except for what really sells - laptops. The iMac gives me hope that not all is lost, and I'm waiting to see what 10.7 brings, after the disappointment that was 10.6. We shall see.

24. BrokenE macrumors regular

I am fairly new to Apple products, bought a Macbook 2 years ago and recently bought an iMac i5.

Most people now a days just want a product that looks cool and that does what it supposed to easily, every time. From that perspective, I think Apple is still king. A little speed difference and a few features features are not going to be a concern for most people.

Apple's "got-to-have-it" products like the iPhone and iPod along with years of crappy unreliable MS software started making people migrate to Mac, then there was Vista. That was the turning point, the flood gates really started to flow to the Mac side. Now W7 maybe better, but i think Apple will have to really screw up before things reverse. Not saying its not possible though.

I still have a bad taste from MS products and what seemed to be sheer arrogance with respect to the crappy products they put out, year after year, just expecting everyone to swallow.

Hey, remember when Word Perfect was the processor of choice? I'm hoping the same will happen to MS. It's evolution man. It sucks watching it happen because it takes years, but it does happen.

25. jgassens macrumors newbie

Well, he COULD buy a PC

but that would defeat the point. You don't affect change by giving up and going elsewhere. Persistence in demands will ultimately affect change, if only because it gives the impression that customers are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with Apple products.

The end result of that is far worse than people voting with their wallets - it's the perception that Apple Inc is no longer filling the needs of their customers and it goes from being a media darling to being the focus of a company that got too big for its customers.

The narrative writes itself. So, I say, as long as you buy Apple products, you should be very vociferous in your demands and in your dissatisfaction. You're obviously not alone in your concerns!