Lost in Space reboot launches April 13

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Been waiting literally 50 years for this.

I loved the original, particularly the earliest episodes which were thrilling. (Who can forget that giant cyclops?) Even as a kid I was disappointed when it turned into a camp fantasy show, so this has been a long time coming.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Haha, somehow I read “Apollo 13 reboot,” this one at least makes some sense.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That looks pretty good, thanks for posting this @Thomas Veil.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I happened to catch this the other day while I was looking at something different. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and the only show my parents let me stay up for. I wanted to be Penny and marry Will.

I can't wait!

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

There was a Pilot made in 2004 but the networks never went forward with a series:

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Can’t wait for this. Hopefully it will be better than the movie, which is a very bar set very very low.

8. Thomas Veil, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018

Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, the 1998 movie at least kept the Dr. Smith-robot-sabotage motive, unlike “The Robinsons” in which as I recall the reason for them getting lost was a horde of invading aliens.

While the original series never really said which country hired Smith, it was the Cold War, so you can bet it was Russia. Some things never change. :D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    Possibly a lot of other people as well. The day I saw this, the teaser was only 3 days old and already had 1.1 million views. (Of course, a couple hundred thousand of those were mine. :p )

I suspect there’s a big number of LIS fans waiting for this. Don’t forget, the theatrical movie, though it wasn’t great, was the film that finally knocked “Titanic” off its pedestal.

(Changed the thread title slightly to use a more appropriate term. :D )

9. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Veeeeery low bar lol.

I too am looking forward to this! I got a big ole smile when I heard the voice at the end! :D

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I watched LIS growing up, kind of started me on my love for SciFi. A few months ago I rewatched it, S1 straight through, then jumped around a bit - wow, that first season had some legitimately creepy moments.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Somebody on another website said they heard a nod to the third season John Williams theme song, so I went back and listened and omigod, they're correct. It's really subtle, but listen for the keyboard theme when the new logo appears. How did I not catch that before?

LIS was also my introduction to the "sense of wonder". As a kid I was interested in the real-life space program, so the whole concept really clicked with me as an extension of that. (Little did I know that someday the idea of having to leave Earth wouldn't be so science-fictional at all.)

For me -- and this may be my nine year old self talking -- one of the most thrilling moments I ever saw on TV was in "Island in the Sky" when the out-of-control Jupiter 2 headed into that canyon. Looking at it now, the angles seen through the J2 viewport look terribly fake, but the exterior shots, of the ship gliding toward a crash landing, still strike me as pretty damn scary...especially with that roaring sound effect and Williams' pulsating score accompanying them.

12. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yes! It was really effective when combined with the sound F/X, score, etc., and of course John Williams is a fantastic composer. Interestingly, Bernard Herrmann's score from [the original] Day the Earth Stood Still was used for quite a bit of "spooky" incidental music - if you scan through this, you'll definitely pick up on several parts used for LIS:

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My first thought was, why?

They’re saying it’s because Jonathan Harris made such an indelible impression they wanted to take it in a different direction. As if no one else could play the role. (Frankly, I thought Gary Oldman was the best part of the ‘98 movie.)

I’m willing to give it a chance, though. I hope the new Smith will surprise me.

Ever see the original unaired pilot? It’s all Bernard Hermann. Gives the show a totally different vibe. Not worse or better, just different.

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I have seen it, so different without Dr. Smith (and the robot!), but I don't think I paid attention to the music as much as I did just now (with you pointing it out).

Neat.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, the full trailer is out.

For the life of me, this trailer does nothing to clarify for me whether or not I'm going to like the series.

I can tell you, the robot I don't think I'll care for. The concept of sending a robot along with the mission to check out the environment made perfect sense. They just, I don't know, find this one?

And frankly, Will looks like he'll be in it too much for my taste. He became too big a part of the show during the series' original run. I'm hoping we don't see the weekly adventures of Will Robinson, boy genius again.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

EW has posted the opening credits. Personally, I think the visuals at the beginning look like somebody’s first Adobe After Effects school project, but the music at :45 incorporates the old LIS theme and sounds great.

18. Huntn, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Good visuals.

19. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

20. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I like it! It has a good action-adventure vibe without the constraints of a more "formal" universe (like Trek).

I think the intro is really beautiful, I love the history of space exploration projected as like a flat film onto the J2 surface - then the classic theme kicks in, yes!

21. Huntn, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Parker Posey, that’s not a spoiler. :p
    I have no opinion, other than a guess that if she turns out to be an evil character she won’t resemble the flamboyant gay character Jonathan Harris portrayed. I saw a quote for (I think) the new show describing The villainous Dr. Smith, but this is TV, you never know. :)

CB51D776-A50B-4613-AA73-EFEAF440377E.png
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2018 ---
    I started out in the 60s watching 50s sci-fi movies, like Forbidden Planet (which won an Oscar), War of the Worlds (incredible), The Thing From Another World (wonderful), The Day the Earth Stood Still, and many other B movies, like Angery Red Planet, Invaders from Mars, The Blob, I was hooked long ago. Ironically I disliked the most incredible space movie to date 2001, which I have since come to recognize it’s brilliance. The sequel, 2010 is also excellent. For TV, it’s hard to beat the original Star Trek. For some reason, maybe portrayed sexuality, my Mom did not want me watching it, but I prevailed. :)

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A wonderful movie which actually shares some DNA with Lost in Space. Robert Kinoshita designed Robby the robot for that movie, as well as some sets like Dr. Morbius’ office. Although William Creber created the original exterior of the Lost in Space ship, the Gemini XII, Bob Kinoshita modified it when it became the Jupiter 2 and also, I believe, designed the interior. He also created the Robinsons’ robot.

You’re not alone in having to “come around” to “2001”. At the time, many critics blasted it, then recanted and recognized it for the brilliant movie it is.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It just wasn't the typical space movie I expected, which usually involved monsters, The Thing From Another World scared me to the point of wearing a coat over my head while watching. Invaders from Mars gave me the heebie jeebies. It was very similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers in theme.

24. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Nice, and RtR showed up in Lost in Space too: War of the Robots (excellent episode) and Condemned of Space, a bunch of other "guest" appearances in TV and film.