Lost or Stolen iPhone 3GS at Six Flags

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kenbrinkman, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Hey guys, so I bought a 32GB iPhone 3GS on launch date little over a month ago. I took the sis and a couple of friends to Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ on Monday and my phone slipped out of my pocket on the damn pretzel loop of Superman. You could imagine my despondence. After that, I went to an internet kiosk and tracked where it was on Find my iPhone. It pointed directly to where I lost it, at Superman. So I sent it a message, explaining that it was lost and call me at this number, blah, blah, blah. It pretty much ruined the rest of my day.

Anyways, today I got the email that said the message to my iPhone has been successfully displayed. I checked the Find my iPhone page again and it said the location was unavailable. So my question is, am I supposed to get the conformation email as soon as its been sent, or as soon as someone unlocks the phone?

I've been calling Six Flags all day to see if they've managed to pick it up, but without luck.

As you could imagine, I need a phone for work and school and whatnot, so as far as apple is concerned I'm about to pay for a unsubsidized $500 32GB 3GS this weekend.

What do you guys think I should do? Do you think it's been stolen? Has someone unlocked it and pocketed it?

2. sesnir macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have left Six Flags without the phone...

But all hope is not lost. My friend lost his iPhone 3G back in the winter. He tried to trace his steps and figure out where he lost it, but he couldn't.

2 weeks later, after the snow melted, he found it in front of his house. Funny thing was, it accepted calls for at least a day before kicking him straight to voicemail. The phone still worked and the moisture sensors weren't even tripped.

So you should go right back there, and try to look around the area you think it dropped. If it's inside a gated area you'll obviously need some help from Six Flags.

Just because it can't be tracked doesn't mean it's stolen. And to answer your question, you get the email right after the message is sent, from what I could tell in my tests. But if you got the email a day later then who knows.

3. Old Wembley macrumors member

So you haven't gotten any messages sent from your missing iPhone? What was it like under the ride? Where there bushes or sidewalks? I would be crushed if this happened to my iPhone. Good luck

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Fyi

this is why you keep a junk cell phone. I mean I never take my Iphone too 6 flags. Not if you want to relax and enjoy the day. get a old cell pop you sim in there and enjoy the day if you loose the phone call and report it. just too many risk at a park like this.

5. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

true, hindsight is always 20/20

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

$699 is unsubsidized iPhone 32gb s. $499 is the partial subsized priced of the phone. You better go find the phone unless you want to put out $700 plus taxes for new iPhone.

7. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

that's incorrect, I called apple today and $499 was the price...

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Good luck getting that price.

I did a partial upgrade June 19th on both my lines and when I tried I re upgrade again, both apple and ATT want $599/699 for new iPhone 3g s

9. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

even when I log onto my at&t account on apple.com I get $499, where are you getting $700 from?

[​IMG]

10. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

There is an * that says for qualified customers only, i.e people eligible for upgrades and you no longer qualify.

11. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I literally got off the phone with apple before starting this thread, they reassured me that I would have to pay $499 for the replacement phone. $499 is the out of contract price, Apple has reassured me of this.

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow, I guess we'll see what happens.

12. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

How long are you willing to search for it when you get the chance? You've gotta act fast, if some maintenance worker finds your phone, chances are he won't give it back depending on the money he's making. You don't want to let the whole six flags team know that there's a $700 phone sitting under the Superman ride. Chances are, it'll be more of a treasure hunt theme of Finders Keepers. Talk to management EARLY IN THE MORNING because I'm sure workers go through that area frequently to make sure nothing is wrong.

13. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No, at $499 you're going to restart your contract again. $699 is the no-commitment price.

14. egk69 macrumors 6502

well i dont know what they told you, but the prices are

199 & 299 (2 year contract) when your contract is over
    399 & 499 (2 year contract) early upgrade (and its supposed to work 1 time) Ex: I got my iPhone 3G last december for 499 with the early upgrade, and now im not elegible for an early upgrade till like 1 more year.
    599 & 699 (no comitment) no contract at all!

I guess for you the early upgrade wont make much of a difference cause you got into a new contract what? 1 month ago!?...

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If it feel out of your pocket why do you think someone stole it?

16. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Because I received the email that someone unlocked the phone and yet six flags has no record of ever having found it.

17. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I thought because they have a serial number and have been activated when you report it lost to Apple or AT&T they lock the phone so no one else can pick it up or steal it and use it. My theory is if a phone is active and someone else finds it, they should not be allowed to put their SIM card in it and activate the phone, this way it could be returned to it's original owner, Apple and AT&T have technology to do this.

Side note, I live in NJ have season passes to Great Adventure, and I have my wife bring her crummy Blueberry curve to GA so if it gets lost, it would not be a bad day for me, my iPhone is still safe at home locked in my fire proof safe :D

18. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I went online actually at six flags and disabled the service right then and there. It can't make phone calls or receive them.

19. kenbrinkman thread starter macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

If worst comes to worst and it actually is $700 to replace it on my line, we have 3 other iPhones on the plan which aren't eligible to upgrade yet. So I'll spend the $500 upgrading one of those lines and then swap the sims.

Could I do that?

20. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

ummmm whats the point then? seriously people worry about these things wayyy too much. if I DID take it on a coaster I would make dame sure it was in a tight jean pocket. live and learn

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah but not all guys wear their sister's jeans.

I'm just sayin'.

22. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I would think so. I think you will be eligible for the 499 price.

my sister is nowhere near as big as you, thus I would never fit her jeans. just sayin'

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks for calling me fat Captain Obvious. :)

24. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I just couldn't muster up as witty a remark for you as yours about my metrosexuality:p

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hey when all else fails go for what works on all women ...
    weight
    level of craziness
    level of clinginess

Since two of three did not apply, I too would have played the fat card. ;)