Love my iPhone 4, but if no 4" screen by 2012, I'm going Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Feb 21, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I can get over the fact that I'd like a UI update/customization options, but looking at all of these phones with larger screens just confirms that the iP4 screen is too small. Just IMO.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The screen size is perfect IMO. Not too big or too small.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is nice, get what ever phone meets your needs. Doesn't really matter if it is the iPhone, Android, Blackberry, webOS, Windows phone 7, etc.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If the next iphone doesnt make me cofee in the morning Im done:D

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

A 3.5 inch screen for 2007 was a good size but fast forward to today, a 3.5 screen size without a doubt is too small and is not competitive in today's smartphone market and Apple is wising up to this.

If the rumors are correct, I'm sure we will see a 4 inch iPhone come summer.

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Actually theres more smartphones sold with a smaller than 4 inch screen than larger. All iPhones, blackberries and Nokia phones sold don't have a screen larger than 3.5 inch.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

i really hope to see a bigger screened phone as well. However, i don't want the whole phone itself to increase in size. Maybe Apple can pull another out of the hat this way?

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

10. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

11. aleni macrumors 68020

when u have android's 4" screen but with crappy apps, sluggish touch screen performance, then you will miss your iPhone 4 and then you will go back to Apple again.

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

@OP, given the prohibitive issues associated with increasing the screen size (breaking every single App Store app's UI, for instance) you'll most likely be going to Android. Good luck.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Sony needs to work on providing the best gaming content for me to switch. Right now, Android is getting redundant just like iOS and just seems more like a wannabe. Dual-core is a meaningless stat if the OS is optimized for single-core. Like a new marketing term similar to megapixel count or 1080p on a small screen when 720p is efficient enough for that size.

Android = More of the next gen of Symbian. Both are open and unattractive.

What makes XPERIA PLAY unique is the gaming form factor and games. At this point, it is only the beginning. Games like NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, or any sports, 2D platformers, fighting games w/ online play would kick ass on a cell phone. Games like them can be played from 5 minutes to hours. But it will take years for Sony to refine. Even new OSes takes years to refine. iOS 1.0 was polished but still need refinement over the years. What makes Apple winners is they control the entire ecosystem. What they lack is form factors which will hurt them in games.

Sony Ericsson has a chance to make XPERIA PLAY the most popular Android of all-time and make them the #1 Android OEM. SE got knocked out of the Top 5 a couple years ago. As great as Motorola Atrix 4G is, it seems more of the same in this arms race and specs will always get surpassed within a few months. Sony has the opportunity to lock up consumers into their ecosystem with some killer apps (games) if they can bring it. This is why many iPhone users stay loyal to the phone. They don't want to lose their investment on their apps by moving somewhere else and re-buying them all over again.

XPERIA PLAY isn't the most powerful Android and will get updated again next year, but it seems it will offer the most unique gaming experiences by bringing something old back - physical gaming controls. Atrix 4G looks awesome, but I'll probably get bored of it quick. iPhone 4 at single-core is fast enough for me. So please, Sony! Get the games on there to lock people into investing on games. You have the first jump on Microsoft and Nintendo with PlayStation Suite. Then, I could be locked into using Android for years to come like people using PC over Macs for desktop gaming. If Sony can get the sports gamers crowd, I would make the switch in a heartbeat because sports games on iPhone or Nintendo handhelds suck ass.

Games is the most popular genre in smartphones and the one area where you don't always need an online connection to use in case you don't want to go over your data limit. A gaming phone with the right content is the only phone that will make me switch to Android. And I prefer syncing with Sony's Media Go over DoubleTwist, so an Android from SE is the only one to convince me to move toward a new OS and invest again on more EXCLUSIVE content not found on the App Store or simply played better on a "PlayStation Certified" phone.

1.7 million views in one ad and a few others with over 500K views. It seems to be the most viewed phone on YouTube not named iPhone. Atrix 4G is the most powerful Android, but XPERIA PLAY seems to be the most intriguing that could potentially gather a huge audience that has been untapped and not catered for years in the cell phone industry. It has more potential to spawn a new gaming revolution. Specs don't matter in a gaming phone. It is all about the gaming content it provides to keep us going back to it.

14. deeesea macrumors 6502

no u!

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The cold, hard truth... gotta love it :p

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I want a 32" screen but need it to easily fit in my pocket. Guess my needs are more important than my wants. I would like to see Apple go with a 3" (pulse the weight reduction) and smaller basel for even better pocket convenience over a size increase. I'll use my iPad when size is needed.

17. ozred macrumors 6502

True.

But I don't care.

I want an iPhone with a 4.0" minimum, to 4.3" display, anytime in 2011.

If the phone is larger, it won't be by much. Apple's excellent at keeping things as small as possible.

Just do it!

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

iPhone isn't competing with these phones though. The iPhone is considered more high-end and more multimedia oriented and those phones are now 4" and larger.

Even back last year when rumors of the iPhone 4 were about, I was flabbergasted that they didn't bump the screen size up when they redesigned the entire phone. That's why I kept my 3GS. I don't expect a screen size change this year though, and by June of next year we'll all be driving buicks to the moon, so who cares.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to buy a phone that best suits your needs. If apple isn't meeting those needs, move on.

what you failed to detail is why one facet of the phone will cause you to abandon the platform? I have a Droidx and the larger screen is nice, but it was the platform I wanted to try out.

Are the apps you want/need available on android? Have you played with one, to be sure it fits your need?

20. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Would love to see a 4 inch screen on the next iPhone. MWC showed a few budget 3.5 inch Android phones this year and the Android phones that were of a similar price point to the iPhone have all moved up to 4+ inches. I know that there are other important factors for a quality screen, but it does seem like the current size is slightly below par in terms of high end user expectation. And lets face it, the screen on the iPhone takes up a very low (comparatively) percentage of the devices footprint compared to say the 4.2 inch screen on the SE Arc. Apple should be able to fit a larger screen on a device not much bigger than the current phone.

21. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Not if the resolution on the larger screen is the same as the current.

22. aleni macrumors 68020

apple.com/iphone5

introducing iPhone 5 with non-retina display.

that would be lame..

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you ever used a phone with a 4" screen on a daily basis? Do you realize how large that feels in a pocket? Are you a man-purse guy? Unless you're wearing something like cargos or something with larger pockets, the 4" screen size starts to feel cumbersome in tighter or more form-fitting pants. Notwithstanding, no 4" no buy? Fine ... it's your prerogative. I am very happy with my DX.

24. deus ex machina macrumors regular

After waiting years for the iphone to come to Verizon, I will be damned if I am going to get myself update-blocked into waiting for the summer's latest and greatest.... I bought my iPhone this weekend, paint me thoroughly delighted with it.

-dao

25. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I've been waiting for the white version just as long. Sucks that I'm still waiting but as soon as it arrives I'm not going to wait :)