Love the iPad Pro.. But!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sunny2015, Nov 22, 2015.

1. sunny2015 macrumors newbie

Hey guys so I've had my iPad pro for a few days and I really like it a lot!, however, I keep going back to my laptop in terms of downloading files from the Internet !!!!! It it just me or does safari not have a downloading feature ?

Thanks !

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It can download files for which it has apps. It can't do BitTorrent files or things like that.

3. sunny2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried to download zip files but it just has a blank page

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You need to install an app that can open zip files, like GoodReader. Once you have installed the app, if you click on a zip file in Safari, it'll open a link to the app.

5. masotime, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Get Documents 5. I'd even go so far as to say you're Using It Wrong™ if you don't have this app installed on all your iOS devices. Frankly I'm surprised it is free....

Use the browser function it has to download files.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The lack of an actual file management system: the greatest weakness of iOS and the reason why an iPad will never replace a laptop for oh so many people.

7. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Exactly, this tablet would of made much more sense if it ran OSX

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

But OS X isn't a touch-based OS. Apple can't keep insisting on keeping their mobile and desktop OSs separate but then claim that their mobile device can replace a laptop.

9. sunny2015 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I downloaded documents5 and that's worked fine. I do have to say downloading such files and moving them to a 'ifile' type app would be great. Jailbreaking the pro will do it wonders !

10. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

iCloud. Dropbox. Box. Google Drive. Even with my complex professional life that's more file management systems than I need.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Third party cloud based workarounds. Why not just have a built in local file system, like literally every other operating system? Everything is so sandboxed and isolated in iOS to the point where for the longest time the native email app didn't even allow for file attachment.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Because normal users still don't understand file systems. Every company I've worked in, I still see most people just putting files on their desktops. Apple is deliberately trying to make it easier for those users by finding the file system.

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple has always catered to the novice home user. A method that has served them well. They don't care about efficiency of a full open file system, they care about perceived ease of use where the owner doesn't have to read and learn. While most computer users know how to use a file system, many Apple iDevice buyers have no clue. That's not bad, just how it is. Many people are too lazy to invest in educating themselves.

14. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Documents5 and PDF Expert are great apps. PDF Expert is one of those example apps that is a must and worth the cost for a quality app.

15. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Documents 5 syncs most major cloud services into one file system. Have you used it?

16. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

The Pro is a great device, but to replace a laptop you need a real OS.

17. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Download whatever you need on a Mac, and then Airdrop, Google Drive, Dropbox to load it onto the iPad quickly :)

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I think it depends on your primary computer. If your laptop is your primary computer then I think it would be hard to move to an iPad Pro. But if your primary is a desktop like an iMac, and the laptop is a secondary computer then moving to the iPad Pro is much easier. I think that is a big distinction that many are missing.

19. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Honestly, it depends on what you use it for. My wife hasn't used a laptop in 2 years now since getting an iPad mini. Medical profession.

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

I've seem that, as well as people being given a network drive where everything is dumped. They don't have any grasp.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't know about that. File systems have been around for decades. All but the most un-savvy seem to understand the concept of using folders to save and access files.
    Yes, actually. It's the closest thing to a real user accessible file system I've found on iOS, but it's still has its limits compared to what Windows and Android offer right out of the box.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Ah, but the iPad Pro is supposed to be able to replace your Mac, remember? ;)

23. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Then it would have made no sense as a tablet.

24. xPad macrumors regular

Of course it can.

And it can specifically because it's not the same OS shoehorned into the wrong form factor.

It's just that it can't replace the laptop for everyone, which is why they still make laptops.

25. xPad macrumors regular

It's supposed to do whatever you want it to do. For some, that's replacing their laptop. For others, it's just another device. For others still, it's a non-starter.