Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
No it would not. It would be worse than Windows 8. It would be better if Apple expanded iOS' functionality rather than bolt Touch capabilities onto a 15-year old non-touch OS and crammed Intel processors into the iPad Pro.

I agree apple would better serve their system buyers ,if they made them work like the Windows and Android systems work.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree apple would better serve their system buyers ,if they made them work like the Windows and Android systems work.

The biggest complaints seem to be lack of a visible file system and the high degree of sandboxing. I don't see Apple putting in a Finder, but they could improve document sharing, perhaps through iCloud, but more ideally by letting other cloud systems such as OneDrive store files internally (since many businesses use OneDrive Business or Box because of their security features).

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The biggest complaints seem to be lack of a visible file system and the high degree of sandboxing. I don't see Apple putting in a Finder, but they could improve document sharing, perhaps through iCloud, but more ideally by letting other cloud systems such as OneDrive store files internally (since many businesses use OneDrive Business or Box because of their security features).

They kinda already do that with Document Service Providers added in iOS 8. So few apps support interacting with them though (Mail.app will let you attach files from any app that supports this feature as an example).

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
A lack of understanding is not a difference of opinion.

And here I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping that maybe your condescension was unintentional.

There's no failure to understand on my part. Whether you agree or not, the simple fact is that the very restrictions that make iOS so smooth, secure, and easy to use, such as a lack of a file system and sandboxed app environments, make it an unsuitable replacement for OS X or Windows for many users. This is not a "myth" and I am not trolling, as you suggest. I'm not even complaining. The iPad Pro may not be my cup of tea, but I see why others might love it, and I really enjoy the iOS devices that I own.

You asked, "Why would I EVER want a "file management system" instead of iCloud Drive/Dropbox? Any App has the ability to Open from or Save to any of these cloud based file systems."

Well, I can't speak for YOU but nor do you speak for everyone. I personally would prefer a local file system in addition to cloud based third party ones that require a subscription fee for if you want more than 5GB (iCloud) or 3GB (Dropbox) of storage. I also don't necessarily want all my files on the cloud. The fact of the matter is that iOS restricts local file management far more than any other consumer OS. It doesn't even allow you to use your homescreen as a true desktop where you can download or place files, only apps. What part of this is a "myth", a "lack of understanding", or "trolling" on my part? I really want to know, because it could help me get even more out of my iOS devices if I'm missing something here.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have 30 gig of PDFs that i need to access, some are over 200mb, and I don't always have access to internet. Sometimes i want to open them in goodreader (which doesn't support split screen) sometimes in a different app. We need some other type of file browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.