Low-Cost iPhone and iPad 5 to Ship in Early September with iPhone 5S Coming Later, No Retina iPad mini in 2013?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

According to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, production difficulties will cause Apple's iPhone 5S to ship towards the end of September, with supplies constrained until October or November. This is in line with recent reports that have suggested production on the iPhone 5S will ramp up towards the end of the month for a fall launch.

Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S is expected to retain the same form factor as the iPhone 5, but it is said to feature upgrades like a higher megapixel camera, a new slow motion video mode, and a fingerprint sensor -- reportedly the factor behind the production delays.
    Kuo believes that Apple's low cost iPhone, which will be priced between $450 and $550, will launch somewhat earlier, likely towards the beginning of September alongside the fifth generation iPad.

A number of images of Apple's plastic-cased device have leaked over the last few weeks, suggesting that it will be similar in form to the iPhone 5 and that it will come in a variety of colors. MacRumors also has renderings of what the device may look like.

[​IMG]
    The fifth generation iPad, which is also expected in September, has been rumored to feature a slimmer, iPad mini-style redesign that will offer a thinner form factor and smaller bezels. According to Kuo, it will be the only iPad released in 2013, which is unsurprising as the potential release date of the iPad mini has been in flux in recent months. Though some reports have suggested Apple might release a slightly upgraded non-Retina version of the iPad mini in late 2013, Kuo does not believe that will happen.
    Kuo attributes the iPad mini Retina delay to the higher energy demand of a Retina display alongside limited battery capacity because of the diminutive size of the device. Rather than launching in 2013, Kuo predicts that the Retina mini will instead be released in March or April of 2014.

Finally, Kuo believes that the Haswell Retina MacBook Pro will launch in mid-September while an updated iMac will launch in late August. The exact launch date of the next MacBook Pro refresh has been in question since WWDC, as many expected Apple to release an upgraded MacBook Pro alongside the upgraded MacBook Air. While the MacBook Air was refreshed in June, the date of the MacBook Pro refresh has remained up in the air.

Ming-Chi Kuo has been proven to have relatively reliable information over the past several years and his release predictions also line up with a number of other reports that have filtered out over the past few months.

Article Link: Low-Cost iPhone and iPad 5 to Ship in Early September with iPhone 5S Coming Later, No Retina iPad mini in 2013?

2. appleisking macrumors 6502a

3. Ironsyde macrumors member

4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Lots of products for September.

I am due for a laptop upgrade and wanted to go with the Macbook Pro. Also have the iPad 3 and have been awaiting the 5.

The iPhone 5S upgrade isn't usually that painful because it sells roughly for what the new one costs.

September will be quite expensive.

Kuo isn't perfect, but he has been pretty accurate overall lately. He predicted the Retina Pro experiencing delays, but he initially said July.

5. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That's about $200 cheaper than the iPhone 5.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Only Apple can create a low-cost smartphone with a pricetag between $450-$550. I'm curious what Apple will end up doing (with the price for the 'low-cost iPhone'). :)

8. zedsdead macrumors 68040

This isn't a low cost iPhone so much as it is a 4S replacement. My guess is that Apple does not want to sell the 3.5'' screened iphones anymore.

It is cheaper than the 5 and 5S, but I think the "low cost" idea it completely wrong. It will not be cheap. Just the lowest end rather than still selling the 4S.

9. ms341547 macrumors newbie

10. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

I think Apple could make much more money selling an updated non-retina iPad mini this holiday season (with a price drop to $299) than a severely constrained and low-margin retina iPad mini.

Besides, the new iPad 5 is looking to be much lighter and thinner, some of the people waiting to get a retina mini for it's lightness might find that the iPad 5 will suit their needs.

11. froa macrumors member

Cash in hand for being the first in line for iPad 5

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Wasn't there just a rumor last week or the week before that retina mini was coming this fall? These analysts really don't seem to have a clue this year.

Does this guy have a good track record predicting non obvious stuff?

13. zedsdead macrumors 68040

This sounds like a good reason for Apple to hold off the upgrade on the Mini until next year. I agree.

14. paul4339 macrumors 65816

I think he has it right... I think the idea is to have a product that carriers can offer with $0 down. So, currently in the US, it's $650 subtract $199 upfront... so $450 for entry, and $550 for higher capacity. Mapped to smartphone spectrum, it falls at the high-end of middle market phones. The 'low-cost' words is something we assigned to an unreleased iPhone, not something that Apple assigned.

15. antipex macrumors member

antipex

16. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Let the "limited numbers" game begin...

I don't believe the rumour.

That would mean 2 new phones released in a staggered time frame, plus a new OS release. Would they release the low cost first with old OS, and wait a few weeks later to release the new 5s & iOS? Doubt it. Would they release the new OS with the lower cost iphone first & then the flagship phone? Doubt that either.

Nither of those options sound "Apple"

17. prowlmedia Suspended

Seriously this Ming-Chi Kuo guy is just a complete glory hunter. only gets 40-50% of things right which just makes it all guesswork.

18. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Retina iPad Mini in 2013: Yes. No. Yes. No... ah well, you get the picture :rolleyes:

19. carmenodie macrumors 6502a

Why do you need a low cost iPhone when you'll only feel your monthly bill regardless of the
    price.

20. Boomish69 macrumors 6502

Boomish69

I hope this is right a larger screen is all thats needed to stop the flow of Android, too little too late springs to mind though, sometimes I wonder if Apple think they can do no wrong!

21. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I agree with you, 2 separate releases seems hectic. If the 5S were to be a bit behind I'm sure Apple would hold off until all products were ready to be released the same day.

22. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Ipad 5 is where i'm interested at. Kuo prediction is almost 99% true,
    But I cant see Apple launch the low cost iphone while the flagship iphone would ship later. Its an important market for apple.

23. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It is low cost as in it will [likely] be free - $99 on contract (~$200 cheaper than flagship model), and around $400 off-contract (~$250 cheaper than flagship model).

24. Kuray macrumors regular

25. goodcow macrumors 6502a

... you mean like they already offer the iPhone 4 for $0 down?