Low End PowerMac G5?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A last minute tip indicates that Apple will also be introducing a new PowerMac G5 model as early as tomorrow alongside the rumored iBook updates.

The new PowerMac g5 will be a low end single processor 1.8GHz machine with 256MB of RAM, 80GB HD, GeForce FX 5200, and SuperDrive for $1499.

The new machines provides Apple with a lower end "headless" Mac. However, a (less expandable) 1.8GHz iMac with built-in 17" LCD is priced at $1499 and otherwise comparable specs.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it's about time! apple needs to compete in this critical market, and it would be nice if they intro'd a cheap 17" alu lcd but meh...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Despite the fact that many people have asked for such a machine, I have a hard time believing many will sell.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Apple still needs to get real on the minimum memory.
512MB should be the minimum memory they ship these days and more like 1 GB minimum on the top 15" and 17" Powerbooks and the top Powermac model (or 2).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Macrumors said:
A last minute tip indicates that Apple will also be introducing a new PowerMac G5 model as early as tomorrow alongside the rumored iBook updates.

The new PowerMac g5 will be a low end single processor 1.8GHz machine with 256MB of RAM, 80GB HD, GeForce FX 5200, and SuperDrive for $1499.

The new machines provides Apple with a lower end "headless" Mac. However, a (less expandable) 1.8GHz iMac with built-in 17" LCD is priced at $1499 and otherwise comparable specs.

This would seriously suck.

1) It has the same specs as the iMac, and the same price. The only difference is that the iMac has a FASTER graphics card (Ultra, not normal FX 5200), and includes a $600 LCD screen.
2) It would ruin their "all-dual lineup".

Now, if it had an FX 5200 Ultra, and was dual 1.6, this would be nice. But otherwise, stay far away unless you have a spare $600.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
GFLPraxis said:

1) It has the same specs as the iMac, and the same price. The only difference is that the iMac has a FASTER graphics card (Ultra, not normal FX 5200), and includes a $600 LCD screen.

Now, if it had an FX 5200 Ultra, and was dual 1.6, this would be nice. But otherwise, stay far away unless you have a spare $600.
Not neccessarily. I already have a great studio display and the new PM would be more expandable in terms of hard drive, PCI, and graphics card. It would probably hold more memory as well. I for one think that this is a great idea, and will get one as soon as I have the cash, if true/

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
GFLPraxis said:

You can change the GPU on this and it is more expandable. It will sell.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
er how is that low end? if its the same price as the iMac G5 why would anyone buy it?

the e-mac is low end!!!! and this is about twice as much as that! you can go to dell and get something low end !!!!

(sorry i want a mac about the price of the e-mac w/o the built in monitor!)

atomiton

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
and...

...you can do monitor spanning and attach a 23" cinema display... and upgrade to a DUAL when you get the cash.

not everyone wants to buy an AIO!

Many are afraid of ALL in ONES!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I don't think this will suck...In fact, I think this is a great thing for Apple. This will shut everyone up about Apple releasing a lower end headless G5 based Mac. Like the others said, you can order it anyway you want, so if you want to spend the extra $100 or so for the ATI Radeon 9600XT then you can do that.

Heck, I might even think about getting one now. I think I'd like a single processor G5 PowerMac with expandability. I could probably even get this even cheaper if I have my friend who's an educator to order it for me. Take that $1499 PowerMac G5 with a $1299 display and I'll have a nice fairly cheap, expandable Mac that will last me a long time. Everything except for the processor will be upgradable, and heck, maybe someone will be selling G5 processors on eBay when they upgrade, or whatever.

Garissimo

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
GFLPraxis said:

1) It has the same specs as the iMac, and the same price. The only difference is that the iMac has a FASTER graphics card
It'll have the same GeForce 5200 Ultra the rest of the PowerMacs come with standard, and you should be able to upgrade to one of the ATI cards.

The question is, will it come in a more compact form factor or will it use the same big freakin' aluminum enclosure the rest of the PowerMacs use? My guess it'll be the same size as the rest of the PowerMacs. Anyways, after you put in 1Gig of Ram, a 128MB video card and 20" display you're right at $3,000. Not too bad a deal, but the 20" iMac with a better video card is stilll the computer I want.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
atomiton said:
Many are afraid of ALL in ONES!
I'm afraid of Laptops let alone AIO's! But "unfortunately" all I have is a powerbook! I would definately buy one of those without doubt - what's my student loan for?!

edit: that is if it's a good price...

Hob

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Decisions, decisions.

While I really like the new iMac, this new headless machine makes for an interesting dilemna. All in one, or upgradeable one. I really like the convieniance of the all in one design but then I may get slightly more mileage out of the headless one. Do I need that expandability though? Not really. At least they are offering gamers an option now, I think it is a smart move. Gaming aside though, I still like the iMac.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Garissimo said:
It'll have the same GeForce 5200 Ultra the rest of the PowerMacs come with standard, and you should be able to upgrade to one of the ATI cards.

The question is, will it come in a more compact form factor or will it use the same big freakin' aluminum enclosure the rest of the PowerMacs use? My guess it'll be the same size as the rest of the PowerMacs. Anyways, after you put in 1Gig of Ram, a 128MB video card and 20" display you're right at $3,000. Not too bad a deal, but the 20" iMac with a better video card is stilll the computer I want.
Actually at that point, a 20" iMac G5 will be less expensive and be 1.8GHz. Think carefully on what you want and need. And then make your purchase.

I know what I would need to upgrade from my Powermac G4, and it's gonna be sometime next year probably before it's available. (I need a noticeable speed improvement from the dual 1.42GHz Powermac and it would be nice for it to be 2 years old at least before I replace it.)

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
GFLPraxis said:

You've got a choice-- built in display and the cost that goes with that, or expandability and the cost that goes with that. Apparently they're about the same.

I really wish I understood how people think though-- why would expanding an "all dual lineup" to include a single processor unit suck?

It also ruins their "all $2k+ lineup"... :rolleyes:

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wow...if this is true, it'll make a lot of people happy. I ended up getting a 20" iMac G5 instead of the lowest-end PM I could configure, but this would have been a nice compromise. Still a little expensive when you factor in the screen, but it fits a nice spot in Apple's lineup. With periodic upgrades, it could last a long, long time.

--DT

Garissimo

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Bear said:
Actually at that point, a 20" iMac G5 will be less expensive and be 1.8GHz.
No question. The iMac is also more elegant, smaller footprint, probably quieter too.

Again, we'll see if there's any change in form factor with this new PowerMac but knowing the cooling requirements for the G5 running with full speed FSB, it's not likely.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
If I'm spending that kind of money I might as well be getting the iMac G5. Headless mac good but not at this price. That is why the Cube didn't sell - it cost too much.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
AndrewMT said:
Apple needs to update its 17" cinema display to widescreen format and the new aluminum look to give the headless G5 owners more options.

I'm hoping for a cube-style G5 desktop.
There is no more 17 inch display.