Lowering the height of the imac 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by softwaredevelop, Jan 29, 2012.

1. softwaredevelop macrumors newbie

Have the imac 27, and after couple of hours getting some neck strain. I am 5'6

considering the vesa mount and some type of arm / wall mount

like to hear from folks that have done this - photos would be great

Don't want to drill into the desk to install an arm.

would be great if Apple had a 2" shorted replacement base

if you PM I will provide my EMAil address

2. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Could you lower your desk or raise your chair?

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I did the vesa mount on wall hard to mount the kit on the iMac. Even harder to take it off. But I liked the setup.

4. softwaredevelop thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that

Still want to lower it a bit

To bad that apple does not make the stand adjustable

5. philipma1957, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have the older 24" iMac (sits even higher due to bigger "chin"). I ended up getting the VESA mount and an Ergotron desktop stand (didn't want to mess with wall mounting in case I decided to move my desk). I don't have the model handy since I'm not home, but it's one that's spec'd to support 30 pounds. You need a beefy stand because the iMac weighs more than a standard LCD monitor of the same size.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps if you remove the iMacs support stand (using a credit card to unlock it) and take to a welding shop, I'm sure they can simply cut the stand, overlap it by 2", then re-weld it. Or, even bolt it back together using 4 x small screws (with flat washers and nuts). Since the support stand is behind the iMac unit, one would NOT see this modification. If I wanted to lower the iMac by 2" for an existing desk, I'd perform this mod.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You would seriously take the stand to a welding shop? I bought a lower desk and higher chair.:)

9. Spike88, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Yes I would. Look at your iMac now. Sit in a chair - looking at its front screen. Can you see the iMacs rear stand? I cannot. If new desk or new chair was't possible (or affordable), I would simply modify the rear stand myself. Doesn't take much physical effort. And, one doesn't see the rear stand anyway. Void the warranty? Not really. I've yet to hear a rear stand breaking.. As some would say, "think outside the box for easy, simple and low cost solutions"….

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Problem with that solution is you can only go so far and your knees don't fit under the desk any more.

11. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Decide where the iMac stand sits on your desk. Cut a hole at that area just big enough to lower the stand downward into the desk. Make a support at the bottom of that opening at the height you need out of wood/steel that screws to the desk from underneath. Problem solved. Desk could be called your holy desk.

Yes I am being silly.......but might be worth looking into. How about making your own desk to fit the iMac to the level you need.

Here is a link showing a custom-built iMac Desk/Workspace.

http://www.desktopped.com/featured/2011/02/unique-custom-built-imac-desk-and-workspace/