LTE Apple Watch to Cost $10 Per Month on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today unveiled the Apple Watch Series 3, which is the first Apple Watch model that includes an LTE chip for standalone cellular service on the device. Neither carriers nor Apple are offering information on what we can expect as far as pricing for connectivity goes, but a report from TheStreet sheds some light on what carriers are planning to charge on a monthly basis for the LTE Apple Watch in the United States.

AT&T plans to charge $10 per month to add an Apple Watch to an existing service plan while Verizon will also charge $10 per month after offering customers three free months of service.

[​IMG]

Sprint and T-Mobile both plan to support the LTE Apple Watch, but have not provided details on how much it will cost per month. With AT&T and Verizon charging $10, pricing could be similar at Sprint and T-Mobile.

Because the Apple Watch and the iPhone share a phone number, both devices must use the same carrier for connectivity.

The LTE Apple Watch will be available in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and China, with Apple offering a list of supported carriers in each country on its website.

Pricing on the new LTE Apple Watch starts at $399 in the United States for the 38mm Aluminum model. Non-LTE versions are also available, with pricing on those models starting at $329. The Series 3 Apple Watch will be available for pre-order on September 15, with orders arriving on September 22, the official launch date of the device.

Update: T-Mobile also plans to charge $10 per month for the Apple Watch Series 3, and like Verizon, will offer three months of free service before charges kick in.

Article Link: LTE Apple Watch to Cost $10 Per Month on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon

2. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

3. sza macrumors 6502

This really should be free for their iPhone customers.

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I bet you'll have to have their latest calling plans in order to add it to their network.

5. jmcrutch macrumors regular

Wouldn't be surprised at all if T-Mobile lets you add the watch for free.

6. mac.cali macrumors 65816

A few months ago wearables, were only $5 add on.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

It is just robbing. I do not think adding a watch will significantly increase their server load, let alone both watch and phone could use the same number.

8. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

If no one buys at $10 it might drop to $5 which seems more reasonable given how little data you'll use on the Watch

T-Mobile/Sprint have an opportunity to offer it free that might grab some new costumers.

9. newtestleper macrumors 6502

10. nyctravis macrumors regular

11. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Is that fee part of a carrier subsidy (making the watch cheaper for the down payment) or is this just a way to raise pricing on traditional multi-SIMs?

I mean I'm afraid I know the answer, but...

Glassed Silver:mac

12. Princejb134 macrumors member

So agree
    With the way T-Mobile is going. Wouldn't be surprised if its free

13. profets macrumors 68040

14. FineFuturity macrumors member

What I would like to know is if you can mix and match carriers: like having, say, a T-Mobile Apple Watch work with an AT&T iPhone. Sadly have circumstances that prevent me from going all in on one carrier. :\

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Well that sucks. Not interested in another plan each month

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Just like activation and upgrade fees. Highway robbery!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    No. Must be on the same network since it's tied to the iPhone's phone number.

17. Dan From Canada macrumors member

Of course it is robbery. When have the telecoms not ever jumped at the chance to gouge their customers?

18. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

That is interesting. There are rumors its only $5 CAD here in Canada

19. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

i have been wondering whats its going to cost.... 120 bucks a year....sorry but nope.

20. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

I wonder how it will work if we are on a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm sure I know this, but adding a couple of these will mean adding a couple of devices to my plan. I have a 10 device limit as most do. A few phones for the family, hotspot, iPad maybe then watches and the plan is out of space. Do I have this correct?

22. Allards macrumors newbie

Allards

Too expensive, I consider this a nice to have 2 or 3 euro option for my 12 euro mobile subscription.

23. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I was really hoping the surprise announcement was going to be that Apple convinced carriers to allow this for free. I mean it will use so little data and if you make a call on your watch, it's one you would have made on your phone before. I guess the addition of full Apple Music support could make it a data hog for some. As others have said maybe T-mobile would offer this for free....since they allow Apple Music on their music unlimited plans already.

24. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This is how apple and telecom companies are screwing us. We as customer must fight back to stop their onslaught. (Cheering)
    Seriously, $120 a year just for a f kg damn Watch. I would better forget about the LTE thing on watch completely. At least telecom does not charge... wait, they ALREADY charge the extra for cellular iPad. My bad.

25. marty11 macrumors regular