Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today unveiled the Apple Watch Series 3, which is the first Apple Watch model that includes an LTE chip for standalone cellular service on the device. Neither carriers nor Apple are offering information on what we can expect as far as pricing for connectivity goes, but a report from TheStreet sheds some light on what carriers are planning to charge on a monthly basis for the LTE Apple Watch in the United States.

AT&T plans to charge $10 per month to add an Apple Watch to an existing service plan while Verizon will also charge $10 per month after offering customers three free months of service.

applewatchseries3-800x194.jpg

Sprint and T-Mobile both plan to support the LTE Apple Watch, but have not provided details on how much it will cost per month. With AT&T and Verizon charging $10, pricing could be similar at Sprint and T-Mobile.

Because the Apple Watch and the iPhone share a phone number, both devices must use the same carrier for connectivity.

The LTE Apple Watch will be available in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and China, with Apple offering a list of supported carriers in each country on its website.

Pricing on the new LTE Apple Watch starts at $399 in the United States for the 38mm Aluminum model. Non-LTE versions are also available, with pricing on those models starting at $329. The Series 3 Apple Watch will be available for pre-order on September 15, with orders arriving on September 22, the official launch date of the device.

Update: T-Mobile also plans to charge $10 per month for the Apple Watch Series 3, and like Verizon, will offer three months of free service before charges kick in.

Article Link: LTE Apple Watch to Cost $10 Per Month on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Is that fee part of a carrier subsidy (making the watch cheaper for the down payment) or is this just a way to raise pricing on traditional multi-SIMs?

I mean I'm afraid I know the answer, but...

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
TX, United States
What I would like to know is if you can mix and match carriers: like having, say, a T-Mobile Apple Watch work with an AT&T iPhone. Sadly have circumstances that prevent me from going all in on one carrier. :\

Comment

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
It is just robbing. I do not think adding a watch will significantly increase their server load, let alone both watch and phone could use the same number.

Just like activation and upgrade fees. Highway robbery!
[doublepost=1505249993][/doublepost]
What I would like to know is if you can mix and match carriers: like having, say, a T-Mobile Apple Watch work with an AT&T iPhone. Sadly have circumstances that prevent me from going all in on one carrier. :\

No. Must be on the same network since it's tied to the iPhone's phone number.

Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm sure I know this, but adding a couple of these will mean adding a couple of devices to my plan. I have a 10 device limit as most do. A few phones for the family, hotspot, iPad maybe then watches and the plan is out of space. Do I have this correct?

Comment

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I was really hoping the surprise announcement was going to be that Apple convinced carriers to allow this for free. I mean it will use so little data and if you make a call on your watch, it's one you would have made on your phone before. I guess the addition of full Apple Music support could make it a data hog for some. As others have said maybe T-mobile would offer this for free....since they allow Apple Music on their music unlimited plans already.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Of course it is robbery. When have the telecoms not ever jumped at the chance to gouge their customers?
This is how apple and telecom companies are screwing us. We as customer must fight back to stop their onslaught. (Cheering)
Seriously, $120 a year just for a f kg damn Watch. I would better forget about the LTE thing on watch completely. At least telecom does not charge... wait, they ALREADY charge the extra for cellular iPad. My bad.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.