Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the new MacBook Air with the M2 chip officially launches this Friday, one lucky customer received delivery of the notebook over a day early. The customer shared some photos on Reddit, offering a closer look at the new MacBook Air in a Silver finish.

MacBook-Air-M2-Customer-1.jpeg

Apple redesigned the MacBook Air with a slightly larger 13.6-inch display, a notch, flatter edges, MagSafe charging, an upgraded 1080p camera, and new Starlight and Midnight color options alongside Silver and Space Gray. The notebook is also equipped with two Thunderbolt 3 ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack that supports high-impedance headphones.

MacBook-Air-M2-Customer-2.jpeg

The photos also provide a look at the new MacBook Air's box with manuals, Apple stickers, and a color-matched MagSafe 3 charging cable.

MacBook-Air-M2-Customer-3.jpeg

MacBook-Air-M2-Customer-4.jpeg

The first reviews of the new MacBook Air were published today ahead of the notebook's launch on Friday, with one describing it as "Apple's near-perfect Mac."

Article Link: Lucky Customer Receives Early Delivery of MacBook Air With M2 Chip

Last edited:

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Silver is a still very meh color, but otherwise looks good.

That notch on the smaller mac looks horrible, I still hate it on my m1 max 16” MacBook Pro

I'm totally on the opposite side: I have never noticed it and still don't. It has no negative effect on anything I do no matter if it I'm in fullscreen mode or no. Remember: the notch makes the usable display are only bigger, not smaller.

Disclaimer: I use dark mode on my macOS with no transparency. That practically hides the notch.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
noice. Can u still charge the the M2 MBA via usb ports using the existing usbc chargers? Thinking of leaving the MagSafe charger in the office and use the usb-c one that came with my MBP at home …

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
A notch is ridiculous on a Macbook. It makes me less likely to purchase a new computer until I absolutely have to. I was considering it and giving up my M1 Macbook Air to my wife, who is still using a 2016 Macbook Air. I still notice the notch on my phone and think it's ridiculous there too. A thin bezel could change the image/interface/movie issues that come up. Ugh.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is it just me or does this new MacBook Air look thicker than the last one, it doesn’t look as sleek
I still feel that the "thinness" of the old one was an optical illusion. Evans Hankey even alluded to that in her recent interview about the new design. The "wedge" design is mostly outlined by that flat side of the machine, and the tapered end of the wedge IS really thin. The rest of the laptop really isn't as thin as the design makes it look though, and I have always felt that asymmetry in a laptop doesn't look right. (just my opinion)

Anyway, my point is that I think this new design just exposes a lot of the thickness that the old one already had but was cleverly hiding.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
A notch is ridiculous on a Macbook. It makes be discouraged to purchase a new computer (was considering it and giving up my M1 Macbook Air to my wife). I still notice it on my phone and think it's ridiculous there too. The image/interface/movie issues that come up that simple could be changed by a thin bezel on top. Ugh.
The notch does not cut into the apps and movies on the macbook. The display below the notch is 16:10.

Whereas on iPhone it does

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
noice. Can u still charge the the M2 MBA via usb ports using the existing usbc chargers? Thinking of leaving the MagSafe charger in the office and use the usb-c one that came with my MBP at home …
Yes, you can.

My recommendation is to leave the magsafe where you plug and unplug most often, to save wear on the USB-C ports. I have an M1 Macbook Pro 14; my magsafe is in the office because I'm often leaving my desk with my laptop. I also use Al Dente to keep charge around 80% to reduce wear on the battery.

In fact, I do almost all my charging at work. The charge I give the machine during the day at work is good enough for evening usage at home on battery. Sometimes it goes the whole weekend from friday to monday morning without needing to charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1984 Mac Guru

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015

I'm totally on the opposite side: I have never noticed it and still don't. It has no negative effect on anything I do no matter if it I'm in fullscreen mode or no. Remember: the notch makes the usable display are only bigger, not smaller.

Disclaimer: I use dark mode on my macOS with no transparency. That practically hides the notch.
Except when you maximize, it is now in the way. And it's an eye sore and visual distraction. It's also a hassle interface wise when scrolling your mouse above. I tried it in store on the Macbook Pros and admittedly haven't used it long-term but it feels so foolish to me. There's already a thick bezel on the bottom anyways...who really cares if there is one on top? The over-engineering and software needed to adjust to this is just silly....

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization

Silver is the best color. You won't get noticeable fingerprints like with the dark blue one. Also, the paint around the USB-C ports won't wear out, as there's no paint to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.