Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I have m1 mac mini with 27UK850 lg monitor and today I found out that I have 4x "LG HDR 4K" icc profiles in my ColorSync Utility. The Settings>Displays>Color however show only 2 of them. Is this normal?

The two options shown in the second image produce different results on my display when selected. The one on the top is a bit brighter and the one shown as selected is a bit contrasty. I can't tell which one is more accurate and thus I should use. Any suggestions?

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The preference panel. This is what was selected by default when I first noticed that there are 2 "LG HDR 4K" in the Color panel.

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 1.53.17 AM.JPG

And this is what the gamut looks like for the selected profile. It says it was created today but I don't know how or why.

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 1.44.08 AM.JPG

And this is the other one. It says it was created in January. The mesh on this graph looks a bit spaced out in this image and when the profile is selected it produces a bit brighter image. Is there any straightforward way to tell the difference between these 2 ICC profiles just by looking at these 2 images - about - where they came from, which software generated them, their display output differences etc? How come they are different despite being the exact same monitor? Also if I delete these profiles, can that lead to any problems?
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 1.45.09 AM.JPG

And these are the other 2 that are not shown in the Color preferences.

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 1.54.35 AM.JPG

This one is verrry small for some reason(?).
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 1.54.37 AM.JPG

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I've had this on 3 different Macs but in my case the profiles looked the same, i can imagine how trollish it would feel if they looked different. You could go into Library/ColorSync/Displays and delete the ones with the latest timestamps, it might not be the most accurate factor for determining the most 'accurate' profile but it will at least get rid of the troll.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I've had this on 3 different Macs but in my case the profiles looked the same, i can imagine how trollish it would feel if they looked different. You could go into Library/ColorSync/Displays and delete the ones with the latest timestamps, it might not be the most accurate factor for determining the most 'accurate' profile but it will at least get rid of the troll.
Yes, it's very weird. Look at the post above. I've added the LAB Plot of all the ICCs and they are ALL different. How does this even happen? If I delete all of them, do you think that'll be a problem?

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Yes, it's very weird. Look at the post above. I've added the LAB Plot of all the ICCs and they are ALL different. How does this even happen? If I delete all of them, do you think that'll be a problem?

If you delete them they should re-appear on restart, but do make a backup of them before trying.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I deleted the 4. Restarted and magically a new one appeared with the exact boot timestamp. And I found that the one that was selected by default earlier and the new one that just got generated are same, only the "Created" timestamp is different.

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 2.44.54 AM.JPG
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 2.44.50 AM.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.