Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olpucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
We purchased a new Mac Mini M1 and are looking for a 27" monitior. I have not had to buy a monitor in over 20 years, so I am completely lost in the technology of it now.
We need the monitor to connect the Mac Mini, work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad, Thunderbolt/HDMI) and maybe a Playstation 5 in the future. So probably a display port/Thunderbolt and 2 - HDMI inputs etc. Speakers are optional.
Do I need 4K? Is QHD a good middle ground? Assuming 1080P will be ok for computing but not great at 27”.
Will probably need to be HDCP compliant.
So many monitors for sale…
Budget is $300-400 CDN. Monitors we have been looking at for example:

Samsung 28" 4K - U28E590D ($399)

ASUS ProArt 27" 1440p WQHD - PA278QV ($419)

Any recommendations you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

Brands? Models? Resolution? Compatibility?

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Has anyone used a 43” 4K Tv as a monitor? Sams club has the LG 43un7000 for a good price. Any advice or should I avoid TVs as a monitor?

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
TVs are designed to show video. So if your primary usage is to watch media/video then a TV is a great choice. Computer monitors are typically designed for better color reproduction and sharper text. If you want to use the computer to read (web pages, documents, etc.) then I would get a computer monitor.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
We purchased a new Mac Mini M1 and are looking for a 27" monitior. I have not had to buy a monitor in over 20 years, so I am completely lost in the technology of it now.
We need the monitor to connect the Mac Mini, work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad, Thunderbolt/HDMI) and maybe a Playstation 5 in the future.
PS5 does not currently support native QHD (1440p) resolution output. It supports 720p, 1080p, and 2160p. This is a business choice by Sony not a technical limitation since the a similar AMD-powered SoC powers the Xbox Series X which supports 1440p just fine (the previous generation gained 1440p support midway through its life).

Some of the gaming websites claim that Sony is mulling over adding 1440p support. It's not a scaling challenge since it's a linear 2x doubling of 720p (a resolution PS5 supports). One can hope that Sony will eventually add 1440p support to PS5 but right now that's just pure speculation.

1440p is a sweet spot for current gaming monitor resolution since it provides fine detail without the added computational demands of the 4K resolution.

TVs are designed to show video. So if your primary usage is to watch media/video then a TV is a great choice. Computer monitors are typically designed for better color reproduction and sharper text. If you want to use the computer to read (web pages, documents, etc.) then I would get a computer monitor.
This used to be the case up until about a year or two ago.

Some recent TVs are also designed to work with PCs and contemporary videogame consoles. The LG CX series televisions come to mind as they have adaptive sync (a.k.a. VRR or Variable Refresh Rate) and are superb display devices for PC/PS5/Xbox X gaming.

At 4K resolution, it is more than adequate for computer tasks. However, the number of 4K TVs that have the performance to be adequate computer monitors is still far smaller than the number of adequate 4K computer monitors.

Don't expect to pay $400 for a large TV set and have the same computer viewing experience as a computer monitor at the same price point that is half the diagonal size.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh and montycat

Olpucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
PS5 does not currently support native QHD (1440p) resolution output. It supports 720p, 1080p, and 2160p. This is a business choice by Sony not a technical limitation since the a similar AMD-powered SoC powers the Xbox Series X which supports 1440p just fine (the previous generation gained 1440p support midway through its life).

Some of the gaming websites claim that Sony is mulling over adding 1440p support. It's not a scaling challenge since it's a linear 2x doubling of 720p (a resolution PS5 supports). One can hope that Sony will eventually add 1440p support to PS5 but right now that's just pure speculation.

1440p is a sweet spot for current gaming monitor resolution since it provides fine detail without the added computational demands of the 4K resolution.
So are you saying that I should stick with a 1080p monitor?
I would have thought there are monitors that could handle a few different resolutions?
Sorry I am complete newb when it comes to monitors.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
So are you saying that I should stick with a 1080p monitor?
I would have thought there are monitors that could handle a few different resolutions?
Sorry I am complete newb when it comes to monitors.
Monitors can handle multiple resolutions. The Sony PS5 cannot output 1440p natively (which most monitors can handle). It is a topic of conversation because YOU brought up your interest in a possible future PS5 acquisition.

It's up to you to prioritize what you experience/usage case you feel is the most important for you going forward. You give zero information about what you are doing with either computer.

That said, I would look for a 4K 27" monitor with the understanding that it may end up being a poor display device for the PS5 that you do not currently own. No one here knows how much time you will spending with each device on the new monitor and the priority of importance of that time.

Best of luck.

Olpucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Monitors can handle multiple resolutions. The Sony PS5 cannot output 1440p natively (which most monitors can handle). It is a topic of conversation because YOU brought up your interest in a possible future PS5 acquisition.

It's up to you to prioritize what you experience/usage case you feel is the most important for you going forward. You give zero information about what you are doing with either computer.

That said, I would look for a 4K 27" monitor with the understanding that it may end up being a poor display device for the PS5 that you do not currently own. No one here knows how much time you will spending with each device on the new monitor and the priority of importance of that time.

Best of luck.
Thank you, that helps put something’s into perspective for me.
Both computers are mostly used for spreadsheets, video calls, home finances, surfing etc. The PS5 is not a priority as there are other options/locations in the house.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Now that you have finally provided rudimendary information about your current usage case, I can say that I would recommend a 27" monitor running at 4K/60Hz, something like an LG 27UL650-W (one of my monitors is the 27UL850-W). I have no idea how much they cost in Canadian dollars today.

For me, my main monitor is a 32" QHD Dell model. I don't spend 8+ hours a day in front of computers, typically a few hours but not all at once. A few years ago I would have said that a 32" monitor is too big but here in 2020 I have no hesitation admitting that my eyes are old, tired and aren't going to get any better.

Beyond the productivity tasks my 32" Dell is actually a good gaming monitor but I spend very little time doing that.

Really it is going to end up by you carefully analyzing your own needs and usage case then comparing it to your budget.

Olpucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
The LG 27UL650-W is around $550.
I was looking at the 27UL550-W ($410) earlier today so it seems I am on the right track. Watching and waiting for Black Friday deals...
Thanks for the help.

Tafkaeken

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
I was looking at the 27UL550-W ($410) earlier today so it seems I am on the right track. Watching and waiting for Black Friday deals...
Thanks for the help.
My understanding is that ULseries 500-650 is more or less the same display with better HDR certification and peak light the higher you go. The “50” differnce between say the 600 and 650(or between 500 and 550) is a more adjustable stand so if you don’t need that cheap out. The 850 is the best with Thunderbolt 3, speakers and extra outputs which makes a “hub”?

Right now the prices is really inconsistent which means that the price difference isn’t really that big but I planning going for the 600.

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I am also interested in advice here. Getting a Mac mini M1 for my sisters. They are basic consumers, so its Office, photos, email, web, no gaming. They both currently use iMacs retinas 21.5 models, so they have gotten used to that wonderful display. I don't want them to notice a much worse display than that. Budget is around $400 for a monitor.

My current setup (pertaining to this discussion) happens to be a 16" MBP via USB C to the LG Ultrafine 4k 21.5 display that I really like (I travel a lot, and the ability to just connect the USB C cable and do power, video, and audio over one cable is what I appreciate). But this won't be needed for a Mini (connect via HDMI), so I don't need to get her a "USB C" monitor. Unless you guys think that is superior to HDMI? My observation about my 4k monitor is the fact that I have never run this monitor at "4k" resolution. The "default", as per the macOS System Prefs, is 2048x1152. This is not much sharper than a 1080 monitor, really. And if I set the monitor down to 1680x945, its still a great picture. So I am curious about all the advice to get a 4k monitor for the average person who simply does not need or will not notice all those extra pixels. I see that most of these 4k monitors still only do 60hz refresh, while "gaming" monitors go up much faster. I see a tradeoff, at this budget, between tons of pixels or speed of display. The higher refresh speeds seem like they might be nice even for a non-gamer, who's scrolling though web pages, etc. I do like the fact that my Mac display settings incorporate this LG display (as Apple worked with them to design it?) so I can use the brightness controls on my Mac keyboard to adjust the LG. This is what I fear if I go with a monitor that does not support this. Having to fiddle with the hard keys on some of these monitors to adjust brightness would annoy me, and my sister I am sure. So are any of you using a display with a new mini via HDMI? Any problems? Do your non-LG monitors work with the Mac keyboard brightness controls? I like the HP X24ih 23.8, at least on paper, its $250 and has high refresh rate and adjustable height and tilt. But its "only" a 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor. Thanks for advice folks.

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Thanks for the help.
You might want to take a look for the LG 27UN850-W also. Thats what I purchased from amazon in the US for $450 USD for use with the M1 Mac mini . The N is for 2020 models. L is 2019.

Robospungo

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2020
I am also interested in advice here. Getting a Mac mini M1 for my sisters. They are basic consumers, so its Office, photos, email, web, no gaming. They both currently use iMacs retinas 21.5 models, so they have gotten used to that wonderful display. I don't want them to notice a much worse display than that. Budget is around $400 for a monitor.

My current setup (pertaining to this discussion) happens to be a 16" MBP via USB C to the LG Ultrafine 4k 21.5 display that I really like (I travel a lot, and the ability to just connect the USB C cable and do power, video, and audio over one cable is what I appreciate). But this won't be needed for a Mini (connect via HDMI), so I don't need to get her a "USB C" monitor. Unless you guys think that is superior to HDMI? My observation about my 4k monitor is the fact that I have never run this monitor at "4k" resolution. The "default", as per the macOS System Prefs, is 2048x1152. This is not much sharper than a 1080 monitor, really. And if I set the monitor down to 1680x945, its still a great picture. So I am curious about all the advice to get a 4k monitor for the average person who simply does not need or will not notice all those extra pixels. I see that most of these 4k monitors still only do 60hz refresh, while "gaming" monitors go up much faster. I see a tradeoff, at this budget, between tons of pixels or speed of display. The higher refresh speeds seem like they might be nice even for a non-gamer, who's scrolling though web pages, etc. I do like the fact that my Mac display settings incorporate this LG display (as Apple worked with them to design it?) so I can use the brightness controls on my Mac keyboard to adjust the LG. This is what I fear if I go with a monitor that does not support this. Having to fiddle with the hard keys on some of these monitors to adjust brightness would annoy me, and my sister I am sure. So are any of you using a display with a new mini via HDMI? Any problems? Do your non-LG monitors work with the Mac keyboard brightness controls? I like the HP X24ih 23.8, at least on paper, its $250 and has high refresh rate and adjustable height and tilt. But its "only" a 1920x1080 (Full HD) monitor. Thanks for advice folks.
Don’t even think of going 1080p on a 24” monitor with macOS. Text will be incredibly blurry and pixelated.

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 11.05.31.png

In the official page it stated it supports only 60Hz via HDMI 2.0. What if I want higher than 60Hz? Has anyone tried that?

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
If you want features like pivot, swivel, height adjustment, then I would recommend you to go to DELL. Their panels are good, and they also have a good customer support which is always a plus.

For 27" don't go below 1440p. In fact, I'm even using a 1440p on a 25" display (DELL U2518D) which gives you a really nice sharp picture.

zranger102797

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
You might want to take a look for the LG 27UN850-W also. Thats what I purchased from amazon in the US for $450 USD for use with the M1 Mac mini . The N is for 2020 models. L is 2019.
I’m considering this monitor. Have you enjoyed it?

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
I’m considering this monitor. Have you enjoyed it?
Yes I really like it. The image is excellent and color is very good. The built in speakers are not much better than the one in the mini and the screen control is a small stick toggle hidden below the screen in the bezel. Its a bit awkward to control the volume with the stick. Sometimes the computer will wake up and everything is zoomed in. Not sure what that is about. I have to go into system preferences and click on another resolution then back to my preferred resolution to get it back to normal. Not sure if it still does it on 11.1.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Don’t even think of going 1080p on a 24” monitor with macOS. Text will be incredibly blurry and pixelated.
I have this right now. It’s not « incredibly pixelated », it’s totally usable. But it’s far from being Retina-grade.

Dell u2720Q or S2721QS are other really good choice with even better build quality.

zranger102797

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Yes I really like it. The image is excellent and color is very good. The built in speakers are not much better than the one in the mini and the screen control is a small stick toggle hidden below the screen in the bezel. Its a bit awkward to control the volume with the stick. Sometimes the computer will wake up and everything is zoomed in. Not sure what that is about. I have to go into system preferences and click on another resolution then back to my preferred resolution to get it back to normal. Not sure if it still does it on 11.1.
I want to go with LG because they seem to work best with Mac and also with 27” because of its 163 ppi. Had it narrowed down to 27UL500, 27UL850, and 27UN850, and wanted to go with the UN because it was newest and had all the bells and whistles. It’s more than I’ve spent on a monitor before, but it seems to be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.