Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Any guesses on how it might compare to the current high end intel model? The 8GB 5600m graphics, 64gb of ram and 8-core i9 I use on a daily basis are baller for my 4k compositing and editing workflows.

But reading these forums has me ready to just accept the low ball trade in from Apple right now and wait for this release.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Any guesses on how it might compare to the current high end intel model? The 8GB 5600m graphics, 64gb of ram and 8-core i9 I use on a daily basis are baller for my 4k compositing and editing workflows.

But reading these forums has me ready to just accept the low ball trade in from Apple right now and wait for this release.
I have the same laptop and was using it this morning and I really have no complaints at all with the computer except it gets hot. To be honest, it is going to take a significant update for me to upgrade as it is mainly used on a desk anyway and it meets all my current needs [plus runs windows for PC only apps].

The GPU in the M1X will have to surpass the 5600m by say 20% - 30% margin for me to be interested. I am not bothered about CPU speed as the I9 is great.

I feel the reality for me is the closer we are getting to the event, the less likely I want to give up my 16". Others with the lower GPU are however gagging to upgrade !

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I have the same laptop and was using it this morning and I really have no complaints at all with the computer except it gets hot. To be honest, it is going to take a significant update for me to upgrade as it is mainly used on a desk anyway and it meets all my current needs [plus runs windows for PC only apps].

The GPU in the M1X will have to surpass the 5600m by say 20% - 30% margin for me to be interested. I am not bothered about CPU speed as the I9 is great.

I feel the reality for me is the closer we are getting to the event, the less likely I want to give up my 16". Others with the lower GPU are however gagging to upgrade !
I agree, pretty much same usage. Heat and noise don’t bother me like it does some. My new iPhone 13 gets pretty hot, doesn’t bother me. For me this machine has been the best Mac I’ve ever owned. 10 years ago I never would never have imagined this kind of graphics power/ram quantity would be possible in a notebook. I have a blackmagic eGPU pro Vega collecting dust on my desk because the 5600m is more than enough. It drives a Pro Display XDR and does all the video and gaming stuff without a hiccup. The previous 15” 2016 I had, doesn’t even exist in the same universe.

Bootcamp gaming with the 5600m is a nice bonus. I do dread though if the next iteration is a quantum leap. Especially with battery.

arche3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
I've got the 16 i9 64g ram. 5600m . 4tb.

For the m1x 16 I'm hoping for 50% more cpu and gpu scores at the least. But I'm getting 8tb ssd this time around.

• Wow
Reactions: lespommes

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
There's very little stock of 16" MBPs at the moment which seems to be due to component shortages - a few people on here have now received their machines after similar delays. There's loads of stock of 13" machines, but the expectation is still that there will be an October event. So maybe Apple are just going to try and get the new 16" launched soon given there's shortages anyway?

And they've stopped selling the 16" power brick on the Store.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
There's very little stock of 16" MBPs at the moment which seems to be due to component shortages - a few people on here have now received their machines after similar delays. There's loads of stock of 13" machines, but the expectation is still that there will be an October event. So maybe Apple are just going to try and get the new 16" launched soon given there's shortages anyway?

I wonder if this means they’ve prioritised launch day stock of the 16” and the 14” will come later (given there’s already an AS 13”), or whether the Intel 13” gets left on sale even after the 14/16” launch, or just that the 13” Intel doesn’t sell very well as it has the direct AS equivalent so they’ve had no trouble keeping it in stock?

Reactions: ascender

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
I wonder if this means they’ve prioritised launch day stock of the 16” and the 14” will come later (given there’s already an AS 13”), or whether the Intel 13” gets left on sale even after the 14/16” launch, or just that the 13” Intel doesn’t sell very well as it has the direct AS equivalent so they’ve had no trouble keeping it in stock?
I doubt it. If they roll out a new 16” M1X MBP but no 14”, they’re not gonna sell any 13”ers…

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I had that exact thought, that they would maybe do the 16" first, but I can't see it.

Or maybe they are going to keep the 13" Intel machine around for a bit longer given the ongoing virtualisation issues? ?

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I doubt it. If they roll out a new 16” M1X MBP but no 14”, they’re not gonna sell any 13”ers…
It was just that there’s already an option for a similar form factor with the M1 13” Pro, it’s not as exciting, but if they only had the capacity to build up one size for launch day, the 16” doesn’t really have an alternative model.

I had that exact thought, that they would maybe do the 16" first, but I can't see it.

Or maybe they are going to keep the 13" Intel machine around for a bit longer given the ongoing virtualisation issues? ?
Yeah actually now I think if it the 21.5” Intel iMac stuck around after the M1 launched, so it might be they want to keep a few pared back Intel models around for those who absolutely need them.

Reactions: ascender

arche3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
Wow, 8TB? What do you need so much space for
I have the 4tb now. I am a director doing commercials. I like like be able to keep at least one days shoots footage on my laptop as I review it mobile. Instead of having to be at the studio.

Reactions: rawweb

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I keep reading the next iteration will feature “either 16 or 32 graphics cores”. I haven’t been able to get my head behind the apple silicone graphics lingo. Honestly, have no idea what that means when I read it. How would something like that compare to the 5600m 8GB HBM2?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I keep reading the next iteration will feature “either 16 or 32 graphics cores”. I haven’t been able to get my head behind the apple silicone graphics lingo. Honestly, have no idea what that means when I read it. How would something like that compare to the 5600m 8GB HBM2?
If we take that the 8 core M1 GPU is similar in raw performance to the GTX 1050Ti (that's not far off a Radeon Pro 5300M) assuming things scale roughly linearly, the 16 core will be similar to a 3050Ti or 2060, or between a 5500M and 5600M. The 32 core option could be comparable to something like a 2070 Super, or 3060 Ti. Obviously that's if things scale linearly, and only very rough based on how other GPUs compare to each other on synthetic benchmarks.

Reactions: Piplodocus

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Anyone who got an iPhone 13 Pro think they’d be put off with the MacBook 16 inch not having ProMotion?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
still there, just 2-3 months leadtime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.