Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M2 MacBook Air vs M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14”

• Total voters

alok87

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2022
MBA sounds like a better option for you given you value portability. Besides when you're at home you can always use a docking station for more USB ports, bigger monitor, external keyboard/mouse, etc.

For me, I have the 14" M1 Pro and am very happy with it but I acknowledge it's not *as* portable as one of the smaller Macbooks due to the weight/size. I don't carry it everyday so not an issue for me. That being said, in hindsight, given I mostly use it docked at home, the M2 Macbook Air probably would've served me equally well.
when I searched best laptop for finance (my profession) to be used as a docking station... the 14 inch MacBook Pro rated number 1 on nearly every list....

even opening a dozen excel files that have extensive amounts of macros/pivot tables....the machine flies...just takes a bit to get used to the fact I can't just snap 2 excel files side by side... I have to hover over the green button...but all my formulas work when building complex models...and I can easily dock it to two monitors while using the laptop screen as an email display...

the 14inch MacBook Pro is the best business laptop on the market....and perfect to use as a docked workstation with lots of periphersls

Reactions: Misheemee

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Another thing to consider is that if the new base model pros are getting slow SSD, it implies that the base model Air will also get the slow SSD. That's something to consider.

Reactions: pdxplm

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
14" MBP all the way. I love it. Such a massive upgrade from M1 MBA.

The only sacrifice was thickness, weight, and vents.

I don't like the idea of particles getting sucked up from my bed or other surfaces, despite those same particles probably getting under my keyboard keys lol

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020

I don't like the idea of particles getting sucked up from my bed or other surfaces, despite those same particles probably getting under my keyboard keys lol
You got it!! Congrats and Enjoy!!🥳

• Love
Reactions: symphony

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Apparently the new M2 MBPs have slower SSDs, so it’s possible the M2 MBAs could be no different.

Feeling even more confident with my decision.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I was tore on this myself. I happen to get a great deal on a 14" that cost less than a similar spec'ed M2 Air. But man the M2 Air is sexy and light. I don't use the "Pro" features at all.

alok87

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2022

Best display ever made in a laptop, support for 2 external displays, best sound system, amazing build quality, trackpad is the best ever made, sd card slot.. enough said… no brainer over a 16gb/512gb air

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Is active cooling pro or con? Can't really decide. Yes, the machine runs cooler when pushed and there is less thermal throttling. On the other hand there's noise (afaik not an issue with 14, since fans spin down completely), it's the last moving part in the machine, dust buildup (is this actually an issue?)...
I'm sorta thinking long-term. I want to keep my Mac for at least 6 years, ideally longer. I went with the Pro (14") because I feel like it has a little more room for growth, as apps become more CPU/GPU-intensive down the road, it'll be able to go for more duration at higher peak loads.

Reactions: jav6454

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm sorta thinking long-term. I want to keep my Mac for at least 6 years, ideally longer. I went with the Pro (14") because I feel like it has a little more room for growth, as apps become more CPU/GPU-intensive down the road, it'll be able to go for more duration at higher peak loads.
The only issue I see with M1 Pros are that they get rid of two efficiency cores which could help in battery life.

Reactions: dizmonk

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
The only issue I see with M1 Pros are that they get rid of two efficiency cores which could help in battery life.
Yeah I agree I think that is the tradeoff. I haven't used mine off-charger much so far (I usually don't anyways) but the few times I have the battery has been just okay. I do think the standard M1 and definitely the M2 will have battery advantages.

Reactions: dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Best display ever made in a laptop, support for 2 external displays, best sound system, amazing build quality, trackpad is the best ever made, sd card slot.. enough said… no brainer over a 16gb/512gb air

But on the other hand the 14 Pro is almost a year old and is scheduled to get M2 chip probably before march 2023. So if one can wait a bit... ;-)

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'm in a bit of dilemma on this one as well. I don't need the power of a MBP, I have a desktop to do all the "heavy lifting" so it will be a secondary machine. The better screen is nice, but I don't need all the ports on it..

The decision would be a lot easier if the Air was cheaper. I guess with the Pro, you're getting more and better things (plus better multicore performance) for not much more money assuming you aren't going for the base config.

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
I'm in a bit of dilemma on this one as well. I don't need the power of a MBP, I have a desktop to do all the "heavy lifting" so it will be a secondary machine. The better screen is nice, but I don't need all the ports on it..

The decision would be a lot easier if the Air was cheaper. I guess with the Pro, you're getting more and better things (plus better multicore performance) for not much more money assuming you aren't going for the base config.
I look at it this way: just as higher power and a better screen are premium features, lower weight and a thinner profile are as well, albeit slightly less expensive ones. So you pick what's of greater value to you.

It's not unlike shopping for a car. When I bought my Tesla Model 3 four years ago, a Model S - bigger, more powerful, with a larger screen and more luxurious interior - could be had for "not that much more" - percentage-wise, similar to the difference between a well-specced M2 Air and the base 14 Pro. But I had no interest in the S - I knew I would never use the extra power (even the 3 has much more power than I ever need), and I prefer smaller, more nimble cars. The 3 is actually more fun to drive, and it's more efficient, to boot.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

Are you planning to get the base model air? Then get the air. Are you upgrading the air to 16/512? Then the pro is still on sale for $1800 at Best Buy. Get that and you won't have to wait till late-August or September to get an inferior BTO air.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Are you planning to get the base model air? Then get the air. Are you upgrading the air to 16/512? Then the pro is still on sale for $1800 at Best Buy. Get that and you won't have to wait till late-August or September to get an inferior BTO air.
No, I'd get 512/16 which then brings it right in to MBP territory price wise.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
when I searched best laptop for finance (my profession) to be used as a docking station... the 14 inch MacBook Pro rated number 1 on nearly every list....

even opening a dozen excel files that have extensive amounts of macros/pivot tables....the machine flies...just takes a bit to get used to the fact I can't just snap 2 excel files side by side... I have to hover over the green button...but all my formulas work when building complex models...and I can easily dock it to two monitors while using the laptop screen as an email display...

the 14inch MacBook Pro is the best business laptop on the market....and perfect to use as a docked workstation with lots of periphersls
I highly recommend the Magnet app for window snapping

Soybomb

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
The pro is tempting, but for the sale price of a 16/512 pro, i can get a lighter machine with 24g and probably more battery life. The promotion display is tempting but I don’t consume or create video. I want the extra memory to run a few containers or a vm and don’t need the extra cpu capability, fanless may even be a plus after growing tired of how noisy my 2015 15” pro is.

Reactions: Chateaunole-du-Pape

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The Intel MBA has a fan though, and although the M1 chip is better (faster/cooler) for most things, I do wonder if it'll throttle quicker than mine. The new MBA has a brighter screen, which is one thing I miss with mine compared to a MBP.

I had the 2020 Intel MBA (i5) and then moved to the M1 Air. I just can't emphasize enough what a huge upgrade it was. It's massively more responsive while consuming power at maybe 1/3 the rate of the Intel one. I don't know if it's ever throttling, but if it is, it stays super responsive in all but the most taxing scenarios (scenarios which I am certain would have the Intel Air's fans blazing as it chewed through the battery).

Not only do you get longer battery life per charge (double or even triple) but you also get a longer lifespan overall from your battery because it's not needing as many charge cycles over time. Every time I took my Intel Air out away from an outlet I felt like I was actively managing my power, dimming the screen, quitting out anything taxing just to eke 5 or 6 hours out of a full battery. With the M1 Air I simply don't think about the battery at all unless it's below 50%. And even at 50% I still have 5 hours or more of real-world usage ahead of me.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Ignatius, incredibly helpful post! I have a 2019 Intel MBA and am considering the M1 MBA, particularly for the battery life!

Hadn’t seen before your very good insight about the much longer run time on a cycle meaning battery longevity in the long run! Great point!

Which configuration of MBA do you have? Base, 8/512, 16/512, or…??

7 core or 8 core?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.