Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplefuku

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Osaka, Japan
Did you try with an adapter dongle?

Torat would rule out a hardware issue with the RJ45 port.
Yeah, no. You're absolutely right. Switching over to my USB-C ethernet adapter made the lag go away immediately... Even the "post-reinstall improvement" I was perceiving was NOTHING compared to my other adapter...

Damn. I have just been waiting so, SO long for these machines! I really don't want to have to send TWO back to Apple & hope that I get luckier the second time around, but what can you do? 😭

Reactions: MacProFCP

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I'm returning the pro for a replacement, I'm not dealing with this anymore

hopefully the new one doesn't have this problem

cyberpunk_ber

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
So, folks -- I'm fairly sure this is a software issue.

If you go to settings->network-><ethernet interface>->details->hardware and then change "Configure" to "manual", THEN change *ANY* setting (I turned off ABV/EAP mode), save/exit and then go in and change it back; the packet loss seems to stop. (I also tried changing duplex to 'flow control' and back again, just incase it helps anyone)

I'm guessing the auto configuration has gotten something wrong and persisted it somehow. Try it out!

66 packets transmitted, 66 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

Jeremy M.

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012

If you go to settings->network-><ethernet interface>->details->hardware and then change "Configure" to "manual", THEN change *ANY* setting (I turned off ABV/EAP mode), save/exit and then go in and change it back; the packet loss seems to stop. (I also tried changing duplex to 'flow control' and back again, just incase it helps anyone)

I'm guessing the auto configuration has gotten something wrong and persisted it somehow. Try it out!

Let’s hope this gets solved with a simple update on Apple’s end.

Reactions: Che Castro

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Yeah, no. You're absolutely right. Switching over to my USB-C ethernet adapter made the lag go away immediately... Even the "post-reinstall improvement" I was perceiving was NOTHING compared to my other adapter...

Damn. I have just been waiting so, SO long for these machines! I really don't want to have to send TWO back to Apple & hope that I get luckier the second time around, but what can you do? 😭

Happy to be of assistance 😎

opuscroakus

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2001
I have a BTO Pro Mini w/1TB drive that isn’t arriving till the middle of Feb. This will be the first thing I check out 😬. Props to Cyberpunk for the troubleshooting 👍🏻

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

This is not working for me
Do you leave it in manual after you change the setting back ?

Edit
Ok leaving it in manual seems to fix the problem
Is MTU suppose to be at 1500 ? As default

Last edited:

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA

I can't believe that a macOS reinstall didn't fix this problem.

Very odd.

This means that the bug exists even in the fresh install.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I can't believe that a macOS reinstall didn't fix this problem.

Very odd.

This means that the bug exists even in the fresh install.
If it’s a driver issue you can reinstall the OS as many times as you like and it won’t fix the issue, it will require a fix from Apple by way of a patch with a new driver.

magphotos

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2023
Turin, Italy
Hey everyone, got my base spec M2 Pro Mac mini yesterday, at my local Apple Store.

This morning I tested my unit, curious to see if I encountered the problem described here, but I am happy to say that my 1gb Ethernet connector is working perfectly fine. I ran various packet loss tests using this and this websites, and I got 0%. Screenshots attached, if it helps.

Don't know if this might be useful, but I live in Italy so my unit is a Europe market one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-28 alle 10.32.50.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 alle 10.32.50.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 2023-01-28 alle 10.31.53.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 alle 10.31.53.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 129

Saberon2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Hey everyone, got my base spec M2 Pro Mac mini yesterday, at my local Apple Store.

This morning I tested my unit, curious to see if I encountered the problem described here, but I am happy to say that my 1gb Ethernet connector is working perfectly fine. I ran various packet loss tests using this and this websites, and I got 0%. Screenshots attached, if it helps.

Don't know if this might be useful, but I live in Italy so my unit is a Europe market one.
Just curious, did you set up as a new mac or restore from backup?

Saberon2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Restore from backup. I had a 24" M1 iMac that I returned few weeks ago, so I restored that backup on Mac mini first boot.
That seems to fix the problem, there’s another guy on Reddit who restored from backup and never experienced this. But glad to hear your new Mac is working

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I’m using apple AirPort Extreme and I did not restore from backup when I got the m2 pro ,fresh install
And I have the problem
Well use to

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I wonder if this is Ventura 13.2 problem or a 13. Whatever the firmware the m2 pro comes with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.