Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
64,393
32,202


MacBook Pro models with an M4 chip are expected to launch in the fourth quarter of 2024, according to display analyst Ross Young. In a tweet for subscribers, Young said that panel shipments for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models are set to begin in the third quarter of 2024, which suggests a launch toward the end of the year.

M4-Real-Feature-Red.jpg

Apple started its M4 chip refresh in May with the launch of the M4 iPad Pro, but the first Macs with M4 chips are also slated for a 2024 launch. According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple will refresh both the MacBook Pro and Mac mini lineups this year.

The entry-level 14-inch MacBook Pro is expected to get an M4 chip, while the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will be updated with M4 Pro and M4 Max chips. The Mac mini will get M4 and M4 Pro chips. The MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro models won't be updated with M4 chips until 2025, and it is not yet clear when the iMac might see an update with the refreshed chip technology.

Apple's M4 chip is built on an upgraded 3-nanometer node, with Apple first introducing 3-nanometer technology with the M3 line. In Geekbench 6 benchmarks, the M4 chip is up to 25 percent faster than the M3 chip when it comes to multi-core performance, so we could see similar gains for the M4 Pro and M4 Max chips.

Aside from M4 chips, the upcoming MacBook Pro models are not expected to have significant feature updates. Apple is working on OLED display technology, but an OLED MacBook Pro is not expected until 2026 at the earliest.

Article Link: M4 MacBook Pro Models Expected to Launch in Late 2024
 
  • Like
Reactions: dandeco

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
768
1,908
I look forward to seeing these M4 MacBook Pro models. I am sure many people here on this forum are also looking forward to M4 Mac models. I have an M3 MacBook Pro with an M3 Pro chip currently, but I am really waiting for the M4 Max or M4 Ultra chip in a revised Mac Studio and/or Mac Pro model.
 

IchabodCricket

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2024
124
316
Watching this. I'll keep waiting for the Air, as I don't want a MBP, but I am curious what the M4 will bring over the M3.
 
  • Like
Reactions: brandoman

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
5,179
7,524
Spain, Europe
Really curious to see the performance of the rest of the family. If the M4 represents a big jump in performance being the base model and constrained by the iPad thermal limitations and iPadOS, I cannot imagine how powerful can end up being an M4 Pro or Max.

Maybe, if they are releasing them by the end of the year, Apple will use N3P for M4 Pro, Max and Ultra SoCs?
 
  • Like
Reactions: robfoll

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
2,437
2,811
I think it is safe to say that the Mac Studio will not be getting an off-the-shelf Max chip going forward, otherwise they would have already added an M3 Max or an M4 Max later this year. It was a great bargain getting a base Studio with the Max and 32GB memory and just upgrading the storage.

But yeah, I think moving forward it looks like the desktop Macs will have their own desktop-focused chips and not just appropriate the laptop ones. I think that this is a good strategy because now they have more competition with the former Nuvia team and everyone else forging forward with their own competitive ARM CPUs for both laptop and desktop.

Apple already screwed up letting the Nuvia thing happen in the first place, now they have to contend by moving extra hard to keep competition in the ARM space at bay.
 

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
244
570
Miami, FL
I'm still on an intel 16". I'm considering pulling the trigger on an M3 refurb (14" pro or 15" air, haven't decided yet) but now I might just wait. The downside is my trade-in value might be even less by then.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UltimaKilo

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
227
483
I'm still on an intel 16". I'm considering pulling the trigger on an M3 refurb (14" pro or 15" air, haven't decided yet) but now I might just wait. The downside is my trade-in value might be even less by then.
Still on Intel!? Why are you doing this to yourself? 😁
Seriously speaking, if you've endured this long, it's better to wait until M4.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.