Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
In reading further it sounds problematic on Hackintoshes. Sounds like injecting through DSDT is an option or a special version of the Clover bootloader with 7xxx support. And yet it just works on a MacPro3,1 or newer...

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
First post, Yay! :D

hi guys!
Have you guys had any progression in running 7950 in Mac Pro 1.1/2.1?

Im tryin to get my msi 7950 to run in my mp 2.1. But without any luck.
Im thinking. Is there any bootloader besides chameleon who will boot the 7950?

Oh btw, i run the jabbawokhack on my MP.

cheers

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
Oh hi again guys.
Let me update you on my progress.

I cant get the bloody flashed MSI 7950 fire up in my Mac Pro 2.1 with 10.8.3.
I boot through chameleon. And everything seems to be fine until the kext loads. And the screen turns black and the damn thing reboots.

When i remove the kext ATI7000.kext it boots up like a charm. But with a strange resolution and only 5mb videomemory. Doesnt recognize the card at all. Ive tried all possible bootflags, with GE enabled and disabled.

What is the problem here? Is it chameleon? Would it help to swap to another bootloader?

According to this link right here:
http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/03/radeon-7000-hackintosh.html
Its possible to boot up on another videocard, and let that card handle the bootup and then use the 79xx for everything else. Is that a possibility even for the Mac Pro? Since we don't have a bios on the Mac Pro i have no idea how to set a particular videocard as the primary one. Do you guys have any idea. I have a genuine 5770 which in that chase could handle the bootup.

Any suggestions? :confused:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Oh hi again guys.
Let me update you on my progress.

I cant get the bloody flashed MSI 7950 fire up in my Mac Pro 2.1 with 10.8.3.
I boot through chameleon. And everything seems to be fine until the kext loads. And the screen turns black and the damn thing reboots.

When i remove the kext ATI7000.kext it boots up like a charm. But with a strange resolution and only 5mb videomemory. Doesnt recognize the card at all. Ive tried all possible bootflags, with GE enabled and disabled.

What is the problem here? Is it chameleon? Would it help to swap to another bootloader?

According to this link right here:
http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/03/radeon-7000-hackintosh.html
Its possible to boot up on another videocard, and let that card handle the bootup and then use the 79xx for everything else. Is that a possibility even for the Mac Pro? Since we don't have a bios on the Mac Pro i have no idea how to set a particular videocard as the primary one. Do you guys have any idea. I have a genuine 5770 which in that chase could handle the bootup.

Any suggestions? :confused:

I had a 560 ti 448 do the exact same thing. At some point I'll remember what the cure was, it was a boot flag though.

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
Which Chameleon version? It looks like v2.2svn r2190 added 7950 support and I've been wondering if "GraphicsEnabler=yes" support would make a difference.

Your issue does sound different than what others experience with a white/grey screen.

Yes, latest chameleon. And since the whole bootup seems fine. Bootscreens and all i dont think chameleon is the problem here. Im kind of stuck. Dont know whatelse to try.

As i said in previous post. When the kext loads, the screen goes black and it reboots.

aphexz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I've given up, because I made no progress.

Currently I'm running a solution, that is ok for me:

I've installed the 7950 and a GT520. I don't use the 3rd-party Bootloaders like Chameleon anymore, I choose the system with the option-key at startup.
When I boot into Win7 I connect my monitor to the 7950 and use this (for gaming, etc). When I boot into 10.7.5 I connect the Monitor to the GT520 to have acceleration for the basic GUI-Stuff. That works for me, because under OSX I don't do the heavy GPU-Stuff, only xCode and some things for my Work, that run fine.

If someone is able to get it running that would be nice and I'll give it another try in the future. But at the moment Time lost in testing configurations is enough for me.

erokks

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Sweden
Thank you very much for the answers.
Im trying out every suggestion i can get.

I actually made some progress since my last post.
I tried the bootflag: PCIRootUID=1 with some interesting result.
The screen turns black as before. But the MP doesn't reboot.
Then i tried to put it to sleep by pressing the power-button, and after i wake it up again i got to straight to the desktop :eek:

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Styrkretsmodell: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Typ: Grafikprocessor
Buss: PCIe
Kortplats: Slot-1
PCIe-bandbredd: x16
VRAM (totalt): 3072 MB
Tillverkare: ATI (0x1002)
Enhets-ID: 0x679a
Revisions-ID: 0x0000
Bildskärmar:
Cinema Display:
Bildskärmstyp: LCD
Upplösning: 1680 x 1050
Bildpunktsdjup: 32 bitars färg (ARGB8888)
Huvudbildskärm: Ja
Bildskärmsdubblering: Av
Uppkopplad: Ja

edit

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Namn: ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer
Typ: Bildskärmsstyrenhet
Drivrutin installerad: Ja
MSI: Ja
Buss: PCI
Kortplats: Slot-1
Tillverkar-ID: 0x1002
Enhets-ID: 0x679a
Delsystemets tillverkar-ID: 0x1462
Delsystems-ID: 0x2771
Revisions-ID: 0x0000
Länkbredd: x16
Länkhastighet: 2.5 GT/s

Its recognized as a AMD Radeon 7XXX card. But the acceleration doesn't work. So it performs horrible.

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
^^^Have you tried PCIRoot=0? PCIRoot=1 does not allow right identification of the card and QE/CI does not work with this setting AFAIK.
Do you have GraphicsEnabler=Yes?
You can also try AtiConfig=Hamachi. Right now default framebuffer personality is loaded.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Finally got it to work!

It's alive! :D

Got my 7870XT to work in 10.7.5. Sapphire drivers ofc. Had to add DID to ATI7000Controller, because Lion version does not contain it.
Used Chameleon 2.2 r2233 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Hamachi.

Acceleration works, card recognized properly in ASP, in GLView and Luxmark as Tahiti Unknown Prototype - but it works.

Cold bug is present, FBrotate trick does not work, maybe it's Lion incompatible... So power button is the way to go.

Some screenies below.

30hmwqv.jpg
21n495l.jpg

2zh1s9t.jpg
2w5ng51.jpg

aphexz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I'm glad to tell you:

I now have my flashed 7950 running in my MacPro 1,1 with 10.8.4. After endless tries and Kernel Panics it works (I think), because I've done a complete Unigine Heaven Run until the end (at my last test, it crashed after a about 2 seconds).

What did I do to get it running:

- Tutorial of Jabbawok, with Chameleon v2.2svn r2247 (see my settings in the screenshots below)
- no graphics enabler, etc
- I updated from 10.8.3 in safe mode to 10.8.4
- then i runned "applejack auto" in singleuser mode to auto repair things
- then I repaired permissions with diskutility, because applejack hat problems with this

That's it. Would be nice to here if anyone else gets it running (666sheep?)

Boot works without any Sleep- or Rotation-Tricks, so nice. I hope it keeps on working

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I've tried flashed 7950 in Mavericks last night.
Updated my Chameleon to 2247 as well.
Basically it works, but:
– Graphics Enabler=Yes gives cold bug but all acceleration types do work
– Graphics Enabler=No - no cold bug QE/CI doesn't work. OpenCL works.
I'll do some more tests in my spare time. This machine runs 10.6.8 as main OS, other ones are just for testing purposes.

aphexz: do you have QE/CI working without Graphics Enabler in 10.8.4? Check: translucent menu bar and ripple effect in Dashboard (it must be running not as space).

Edit: I currently use dsdt and MP 3,1 model identifier in smbios.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 02.47.34.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 02.47.34.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 02.37.48.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 02.37.48.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

aphexz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I think it was only luck yesterday :-/

Today i can't boot this thing up. Sleep trick works sometimes, but after a while the machine freezes and i have to do a hard reset :-/

sucks

@666sheep: what dsdt do you use? The one of jabbawok?

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
It's most likely electropura718 (from netkas forum) one. See attachment.

Attachments

• dsdt.aml.zip
    7 KB · Views: 436

aphexz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
It's most likely electropura718 (from netkas forum) one. See attachment.

Thank you for the file. I tried it with your dsdt but then my macpro won't go to sleep. No way to get it going. Spend the whole weekend testing, no I habe no time to go on :-/

spunkgarLEWII

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2013
Why would a native Apple machine need dsdt.aml? I thought DSDT was for hackintosh only.

Thank you for the file. I tried it with your dsdt but then my macpro won't go to sleep. No way to get it going. Spend the whole weekend testing, no I habe no time to go on :-/

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Why would a native Apple machine need dsdt.aml? I thought DSDT was for hackintosh only.

My 1,1(2,1) actually becomes a hackintosh from time to time :p

aphexz: got 7870XT working OK in 10.9. Will try to inject correct framebuffer personality via dsdt, not the GraphicsEnabler. Now only RadeonFramebuffer works without white screen.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
What's the final update here to get an ATI Radeon 7xxxx in a MacPro1,1/2,1?

Considering ditching my EFI-flashed SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB which requires netkas' QE/CI exotic patch in my old MacPro1,1 (now MacPro2,1) in favor of EFI-flashing an AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB. I use OS X Mountain Lion with 64-bit kernel is via Chameleon, but I want EFI boot screens for when I use Boot Camp for Windows 7 x64.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Become a hero to the 1,1 and 2,1 crowd !!!

There are 32 bit drivers in the 10.7.5 package. The 7950 and 7970 show beautiful clear EFI32 boot screens. But since the 32 bit drivers are BROKEN , there is nowhere to go after those beautiful bootscreens.

I have been an NVIDIA guy for some time so this is not my battle.

But SOMEONE could try to bug shoot those 32 bit drivers. They got started but either were never finished OR someone got a call from Cupertino. "Hey, you know that awesome contract to put your 2nd Rate GPUs in our new flagship? We'll, we'd like to kick a few more customers loose from their older MPs, here's what we need...."

So, possible that drivers were disabled with a byte or two moved or changed. Has anyone written AMD support? Would be best if it came from an actual customer who bought the White Whale.

I had my 3,1 set to use 32bit kernel so I could run Nvflash in 10.7. When I tried new 7950 it crashed every boot, just like in 1,1. When I figured out and switched to 64bit, all good.

So, card doesn't work in listed machine if you need to use 32 bit kernel. Finding out a fix would unseat the 5870 as most powerful GPU with boot screens for 1,1 and 2,1.

And make someone a Hero of the Mac World. (Includes tshirt and a short parade)

Any hackers with 10.7.5 and a 7950/70 and some time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.