Mac App Store to Launch As Early as December 13th?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AppleTell claims that Apple may be targeting a launch of the Mac App Store as early as December 13th.
    According to their source, Steve Jobs has been pushing for an early release and Apple is reportedly ahead of schedule for the release.

While we can't verify these claims, we do know that Apple started asking developers to submit their apps to the Mac App Store back on November 3rd. Apple has also recently seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.6 to Mac App developers. Mac OS X 10.6.6 will be required for end users to use the Mac App store and needs to be ready for the launch.

Such an early launch would be well ahead of schedule. Apple had announced on October 20th that the Mac App Store would open in "90 days", which gave it a target date of late January 2011.

Article Link: Mac App Store to Launch As Early as December 13th?

2. Ubik1981 macrumors member

3. Žalgiris macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Seconded.

EDIT: It makes perfect sense. Just in time for christmas.

5. pfml07 macrumors member

6. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

That would be excellent news - hope its true.

7. Kieranic Guest

Looking forward to the Mac App Store. First product I'll probably buy will be the stand-alone iMovie (as seen in some screenshots).

8. Žalgiris macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

I hope all the popular free application will be there too.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I don't think I'll install it and most likely the first thing to do in 10.7 will be to delete this.

11. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Can't wait! This will drive hundreds of millions of new customers to the Mac platform.

12. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Looking forward to it. I'm curios of seing iWork '11 there. :apple:

13. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Rofl @chaosbunny

You use your Mac as a web surfing box? What a waste ;)

14. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

If I may ask: you reckon there will be nothing worth in there, or are you just against it?

There has been a "Mac App Store" on Apple website, I think this will be a better choice for finding indie apps for Mac.

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

17. Žalgiris macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

Don't forget to use 35-Pass erase.

18. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Are you going to treat yourself with some apps? ;) (or you want one as a gift? :rolleyes:)

19. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Okay I'm sorry but... why on earth would you do that? Or do you subscribe to the 'Apple is going to force you to buy software through the app store and nowhere else' theory?

I really genuinely see nothing wrong with the app store at all. It's just another delivery mechanism for the platform that will (in no particular order):

* Vastly increase the potential consumer base for software on the OS X platform
    * Make it far easier to install and manage software
    * Bring increased flexibility to end users in terms of licencing (software working on any device authorised with that account)
    * Potentially lower the cost of software as competition takes hold.
    * Provide more choice for the end user, not just in terms of variety of software but in breaking up what may previously have only been available as a suite (iWorks for instance).
    * Provide competition for the established 800 pound gorrilas of the software world
    * Make it far easier for consumers to find software they'd otherwise never even know existed
    * Provide developers with a new and potentially very profitable delivery and marketing channel.

Like it or not this is something that will be incredibly useful in the consumer space and Apple are just the first to get it to market. Windows 8 is already strongly hinted to have something similar and I'd be amazed if it didn't have it in the final build (whenever that may be). Nothing is being taken away from anybody, you can still install software the same way you always have and Apple won't be removing that functionality any time soon.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It was a hint for all of you ;):p

21. chaosbunny, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Not really. I use my Mac for Adobe CS5, Final Cut, Cinema 4D, you know, high end production apps you maybe have never heard of.

Of course you may ask, and thanks for doing it in a civilized manner. :)

For one, yes I don't really believe there will be much worth for me in it. The productivity apps (except Apples own Final Cut of course, but I think one will still be able to buy it in a box) I mentioned will most certainly not appear in the AppStore, as Adobe or Maxon will not give 30% of their revenue to Apple. The people buying these things know what they want for their needs. And no regular consumer will spontaneously buy the Adobe Suite for 2000 bucks.

As for indie apps, it might be a better choice, but I don't like to fill my Mac with too much stuff I won't use anyway. I know what I need, like Cyberduck, and where to find it.

But all of this is not the reason I'm against it. The main reason is that, with Apple, you never know. If the AppStore is a huge success, which it most certainly will be, there may come the day where it will become the only real source for Mac programms, with Apple as the censor above them all. And imo this is a really bad thing, because who is Apple to know what everybody wants on ones own computer, bought with ones own money?
    This completely closed platform thing works great for mobile phones, but not for much more complex computers.

Apart from that, Apple will collect the data from everyone who ones a Mac and uses the AppStore. Profiles of what people like, what they don't like, what they download and what they use for how long. There will be buyers for that, be it other corporations or the government. And the way it works with deals between big corporations and governments, you won't even know about your data being sold to the highest bidder.

So, you can call me paranoid, which many of you will, but anybody can inform himself about some really bad things going on on the internet censorship/surveillance front. So if I see something that provides infrastructure for this, and I don't really see any actual benefit for me, it's an easy choice not to use it.

While I absolutely like my Mac Pro, my MacBook Pro and Mac OS 10.6., I don't have to like every single one of Apples offerings. I don't have an iTunes account either, as I'm oldfashioned and prefer to buy CDs.

22. Tanguyvd macrumors regular

looking forward to the app and a further integration / migration between all "iStore" applications

however, i'm not looking towards the quote above...
    leave the masses to the messes.... :D

23. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Hopefully the app store have the ability to update most of the apps I own now even though not purchased from the app store, it would make my life so easy not to worry if drivers or my apps are up to date.;) Damn! Can not wait and yes hopefully they will some cool freeware stuff.

24. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I love the idea of a Mac App Store, but I really want a new iWork. Hopefully it launches the same day.

25. OllyW, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm sure the Mac App Store is going to attract some new customers but "hundreds of millions", get real. :rolleyes: