Mac Book Pro applecare: where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by micky744, Mar 14, 2009.

1. micky744 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I would like to add the apple care to my Macbook Pro I bought on July 2008. I always shop at apple store or apple store on line (I'm in France- Europe right now), but I have seen many people shopping at e-bay or other stores for particular devices (such ram and so on)

I always bought apple care as soon as I bought the computer, but this time the computer is second hand and would like to buy the apple care on that. DO you have any suggestion on where to buy . Is apple store the only option or you suggest other sites?

Please let me know

Have a good day

Micky

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You can still buy it in the usual places. Apple store, amazon, ebay, whichever takes your fancy.

3. micky744 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean to save money....or is the same price ?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Looks like it is...

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

A lot of people on this forum will recommend ebay for it, as it's a lot cheaper than buying it directly from Apple.

I bought mine straight from Apple with a Higher Education discount when I was in University. Pricier than ebay, but I was running extremely short on time and it was quicker.

6. micky744 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is within one year, so I decided to move now

So what do you suggest? Applecare and spend a bit more or you bought somewhere else saving money and every one can trust the store or the seller??

7. soulman901 macrumors newbie

I'm a strong conservative type of person. I always play it safe and usually go to the company that is selling the product. In this case it's Apple. Although if you want to play the game of Risk, you could go to Ebay, but that place always seems like the kind of place that is easy to burn people.
    I sold a Wii on Ebay and I got this idiot buyer who kept insisting that I didn't send him a pair of Nunchucks. I pointed out that the Wii came with what they called a Nunchuck Controller to plug into the Wii Remote and that it was in the Box. Argued with me for two weeks on it. Then said to me, oh I see what you mean. Sorry. Ding dong didn't even give me a rating. :rolleyes:

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I don't trust anybody on eBay or Craigslist so I bought mine from LA Computer for $250 with no problems.

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

L. A. Computers or eBay are fine. Have purchased Apple Care from both, but find L. A. Computers to have the best price without the hassal of bidding for days and then getting outbid on eBay!

10. micky744 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Europe......so LA computer option is out of my reach I guess

11. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

I'm about to buy for my MacBook Pro on eBay. Most of the AppleCare being sold there seems to just get you an e-mailed code. Is there any reason I would need the box or its contents? Seems silly to pay $80 more for a box.

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I found a seller on eBay who had a number of positive transactions dealing specifically with AppleCare. At that point, it was safe enough for me. At the time, I got my AppleCare for my iMac for $89

13. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

Going rate for the MBP seems to be $159 - $179, and yes, the seller has quite a few positive reviews for AppleCare lots. So I'm not too concerned.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Then I'd go for it.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The only benefit the box gives you is Techtool Deluxe software. It's basically a diagnostic program that'll check the hardware and find any faults.

16. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

Actually, not even that. You can download Techtool Deluxe here.

17. bkarabel macrumors member

18. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I bought mine on eBay. Amazon is also usually much cheaper than Apple, if you don't like eBay.

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

So there really is no benefit to the box...there we go then!

:D

20. MACoconut macrumors regular

any reliable applecare sellers around?

care to share?

21. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

eBay

I recently purchased AppleCare for my Mac Pro from eBay. I found a power seller who had completed *lots* of AppleCare transactions. From the time I hit the Buy It Now button until my Mac Pro was registered with Apple: about 20 minutes. Just do your homework and you're less likely to get burned.

James

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Some Ebay sellers, even reliable ones, sell you Applecare, then 2 months later cancel it and collect the refund, i didnt know this scam was going on until a few people started highlighting it on this forum. I always used to recommend people to buy Applecare from Ebay, but now im not so sure.
    The problem is people always leave positive feedback straight away after receiving their Applecare, so you cant find out their experiences later on.