Mac doesn't start up

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by JuIez, Apr 26, 2016.

1. JuIez Suspended

Hi guys!

Today, my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 (with Samsung evo 840 sad) started having serious problems out of nowhere to boot properly.
    I just got a flashing question mark when i tried to start my Mac. Doing some searching I found the following article by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

Unfortunately none of this helped because I wasn't able to delete or even repair the volume. Even worse, the volume doesn't appear on disk utility any more. So I decided to put the ssd into an external hard drive slot and voila, the ssd showed up again, I deleted it and installed OS X Mountain Lion through the Internet recovery. Everything went fine there. After the installation was completed I inserted the SSD into the MacBook again. First boot up, still perfect. But after a second reboot I am back at the beginning. Question mark appears again and in the Internet recovery menu isn't any sign of the ssd. Can't choose any drive :(

At this point I am kind of perplexed and looking for some advice.
    Thanks in advance!

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

It's probably the drive cable. They have a tendency to be or go bad, especially if your 2012 MBP is an older one (one can have a 2012 2012-model MBP or a 2016 2012-model MBP). Typically the cable will work with a HDD but not a SSD. You should do diagnostics to make sure there isn't anything else going on. If everything else shows up OK, you can get a replacement cable such as:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-Drive-Cable/IF163-041-1

You can look elsewhere for a better price but the iFixit site has the Apple part #'s that you can use to search other sites.

3. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

If you've got another Mac and a hard drive reader, I'd suggest you use that first, to test out the SSD, to make sure that it is still okay, before going ahead and buying a replacement cable.

4. JuIez thread starter Suspended

Thanks sooo much guys. Just received the new hard drive cable and everything is working fine again!
    Really appreaciate your help!