Mac makes me tired, it won't sleep!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joshoon, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Joshoon macrumors regular

Joshoon

Hi there,

So I've been using my Macbook for years now, and I started to use my Macbook as a desktop more and more.
    So I decided to get a Mac Mini instead, it looks a bit cleaner on the desk, and it's works better as a desktop in my opinion.

I was very happy with it at first, it's not the fastest, but it get things gone.
    I have built in an SSD, so it is very snappy now.
    My idea was to never shut it down, but to keep it in sleep mode since it's such a pleasure to just tap your keyboard, and the Mac would unlock itself by recognising your Apple Watch.
    Unfortunately this is not working all the time...

Once I start up my Mac, and I want to make it sleep, I just go to the Apple menu and choose for it to go to sleep, this works fine at first.
    When I wake my Mac, and after a few hours I want to make it sleep again, it doesn't want to sleep at all.
    It keeps waking up each time I tell it to sleep.
    Even after waiting for an hour, it won't go to sleep at all.

The energy monitor says there is no app that prevents sleep, and pmset -g assertions says there is nothing preventing sleep as well. (Except for some situations where it says Addressbook sync or something).
    I even bought Wimoweh to see what's going on, and when it wakes up immediately after I want it to sleep, it shows this:

[​IMG]

It seems like com.apple.powermanagement.darkwakelinger is the one who is causing it to keep it awake all the time.
    DisplayOff is not always showing in there though, it's mostly darkwakelinger.

I even turned off 'Turn off sleep mode for network access' (Or something like that, I have it in Dutch) from the energy settings, and I thought this was such a handy feature.

I hope someone can help me out with this, because this is really frustrating, and it's really taking away a great feature I loved.
    Some help would be really appreciated!

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Have you already reset SMC and NVRAM?

Do you utilize any external drives?

Do you utilize an Apps/Programs that utilize a background daemon?(i.e. Security software, App Launch Managers etc..)

3. Joshoon, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

Thanks for replying.
    I did reset the SMC and NVRAM indeed, but it did not solve the issue, and I don't have any external drives.

I am not sure what you mean with software that utulize a background daemon, how can I figure out what software uses a background daemon?

4. blaichch macrumors member

Do you have any connected bluetooth devices that might wake your Mini? I experienced this with my PS-Controllers.

5. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

Yes, an Apple Magic Keyboard, but this shouldn't be a problem right?
    Also, I resetted the SMC and NVRAM again, and the problem didn't occur again. It might be solved, but I will report back on that.

6. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

It worked for a few days, but now it won't sleep again.
    Now BTLEAdvertisement is preventing sleep.

Back to shutting it down again. Starts to be a sign to switch back to Windows again :(

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

BTLEAdvertisement has to do with Bluetooth, so it might well be the keyboard. Stuck key maybe?

8. Joshoon, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

This also happened when I had no Bluetooth keyboard yet.
    Plus this is a brand new Apple keyboard without stuck keys.

Even if I turn off Bluetooth it still happens.

9. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Do you utilize any internet accounts?(iCloud,Gmail etc)

Do you sync contacts with any of them?

10. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

Yes definitely.
    And the Syncing was preventing a sleep before as well, but I got this one solved earlier. So it probably isn't the syncing that's causing the issue right now.

11. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

I was looking into issues specifically involving com.apple.powermanagement.darkwakelinger. It seems to be an iCloud process. Address book sync came up ALOT when referencing this process. I would suggest toggling your contacts sync... or even resorting to even logging out and back into iCloud.

12. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

Thanks for your reply.
    It doesn't seems like that darkwakelinger was causing the issue last night, it was definitely BTLEAdvertisement this time.

I did try to remove the sync files (I read about it somewhere) and logged out and logged back into iCloud and my other accounts.
    I would love to keep the contact syncing on though, since I use this feature pretty much, and I don't think that turning off features that came with the Mac is the right way to solve issues. Apple is the one who should adresss these issues.

But as I said I don't think the syncing is the issue this time. It's really frustrating. :(

13. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

At this moment the Mac Mini doesn't go to sleep at all anymore.

Darkwakelinger keeps preventing sleep with the reason: Proxy assertion to linger in darkwake.

I think I will sell the system and stick with Windows. I actually bought the Mac Mini for all the ease it might bring, but since the only place I can put it away is on a platform below my desk makes me bang my head every morning when I try to reach the on/off button, and I keep troubleshooting this problem every single night when I actually want to go to sleep.

The non-sleeping Mac literally makes me tired...

Will try to give Apple a call tomorrow as a last hope, but I don't think they can solve this issue.