Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
So, as an update to my situation, my issues seem to stem from either RF interference from nearby devices or a conflict between my iPhone, Mac and AirPods. They all seem to want to connect at once.

Jonia Cook

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
The mac mini with the usb-c ports was poorly built. If you only use one regular usb port and one usb-c port, all of your bluetooth devices will work fine. The second you try using an additional usb/usb-c port, that's when you need to use a usb dongle or use wired mouse/keyboard. All additional usb/usb-c ports are merely decoration, put there to make us think we have more than we actually do.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
The mac mini with the usb-c ports was poorly built. If you only use one regular usb port and one usb-c port, all of your bluetooth devices will work fine. The second you try using an additional usb/usb-c port, that's when you need to use a usb dongle or use wired mouse/keyboard. All additional usb/usb-c ports are merely decoration, put there to make us think we have more than we actually do.

Sadly, I think you're onto something.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I have 3 TB3 + 1 USB 3.1G2 devices using the tb3/type c ports plus a USB 3.0 Cable to a Hub (in a monitor) and a usb2.0 cable to a ups.

I rarely have Bluetooth issues. The trick for me was to turn of wifi.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
You could well be right but I think a lot of us have differing scenarios. Mine, for example, is that both my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and my version 1 trackpad work fine with 2 usb-a ports and 1 usb-c port in use. What doesn’t work is unlocking the mini with my Apple Watch. Disconnect all the ports and the watch works fine.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I use every port in my Mini and then some. This post lists what I have connected. Since then I've moved the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (USB C) connection from directly to the Mini to connecting to the OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini (Thunderbolt). And I used the freed up port to use my Luna Display dongle, as I've recently acquired a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro 1TB.

I have Wifi on. And we have two iPads, two iPhones, a Grace Digital internet radio, a Cobblestone WiFi to stereo receiver device, two HomePods, my Mac Mini and my spouse's iMac, my work Windows laptop, and and Apple TV on Wifi. I run Catalina on the Mini, Windows 10 on the laptop, and she has High Sierra on the iMac. We also have several Bluetooth speakers in use.

I have no WiFi nor Bluetooth issues. Nor does she.

I did have issues. But they went away several months ago. I do not know why.

I do not deny that others are having issues. The issues are real. I wish I could say I did "X" and it fixed everything.

But my system is an existence proof that things can work without issue.

So the statement, "The second you try using an additional usb/usb-c port, that's when you need to use a usb dongle or use wired mouse/keyboard. All additional usb/usb-c ports are merely decoration, put there to make us think we have more than we actually do." is demonstrably false.

Nor does one need to turn off WiFi to make things work.

But it is frustrating that there is not a 'known' solution, just many 'this is what works for me' anecdotes.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Nor does one need to turn off WiFi to make things work.
I get your point that it’s not a black and white “it never works” case - but reducing competing signals is an obvious choice for a problematic scenario. Also I should have said “disconnect” rather than turn off. It’s on for handoff purposes but not connected to anything.

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I get your point that it’s not a black and white “it never works” case - but reducing competing signals is an obvious choice for a problematic scenario. Also I should have said “disconnect” rather than turn off. It’s on for handoff purposes but not connected to anything.

I fully agree.

My point is that it is that WiFi is not the root problem.

Now if turning off or disconecting WiFi works for you, then great, you have 'solved' your problem. And that is a good thing. But you've only treated the symptom.

As I noted, I fixed my problem by 'accident'. Which is rather unsatisfactory as if it returns I know not how to fix it.

Grrrrrr.

But to try and solve the problems one can disconnect things and then reconnect until the issue returns. And that then gives an area to focus on. Is it the device just connected? Is it the cable? The port? More problematically a combination?

I work in software testing so I think this way as a matter of course. It is these issues that vary by user that are most problematic. Addressing the symptoms does allow one to get on with using the system (and we do this all the time; work must go on). But it may not help the next person. And unless the root cause is addressed the problem can return at any time. Because we don't know what causes it.

I'll say it again, these issues are real. And they are Apple's fault. And they are solvable, at least at the symptom level.

So by all means try all of the suggestions in this and other similar threads (they worked for me!). But unless the root cause is determined, realize that what works for one person may not work for the next. And what works for you may stop working when something changes.

Jonia Cook

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
I guess I should say that the extra usb/usb-c ports being merely decoration is the issue that I have with my computer. I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless trackpad. I also have a wireless logitech mouse. In my computer I have a 1 to 4 usb hub and two external hard drives. 3 of my usb ports are unused. My logitech mouse is attached to the usb hub, so I never have any issues with it. However, my wireless keyboard and trackpad are constantly cutting out. As soon as I disconnect one of the 3 usb devices attached to my computer, my keyboard and trackpad work perfectly. I bought my Mac Mini at the beginning of 2019 and I have had these issues the entire time I've owned this computer.

I just don't understand why having multiple items plugged in to the computer could interfere with the bluetooth signal. I wish I knew enough about electronics that I could open my computer up and play around with it. There must be some way to fix the internal wiring so that it doesn't interfere with the signal. I'm willing to bet the receiver(is that the right word) for the bluetooth is just too close to the parts of the computer that generate a lot of electricity. Maybe when I get another computer I'll dissect this one.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
But you've only treated the symptom.
The problem is quite well understood. It's interference.

Bluetooth operate in the 2.4Ghz range. So does some Wifi. And the biggest problem for most people here is that USB3 devices can emit 'noise' in the 2.4Ghz range.

The single USB3.0 cable in one of the type-A ports on mine, is a Dell-supplied cable (for the hub in the back of the monitors) and is amongst the thickest cables there - it rivals a power cable for thickness, and has one of those anti-EMI ferrite rings at one end.

Given that I use wired ethernet anyway (it's a desktop, and it seems a little silly to have Gigabit fibre into the building and through the router/switches but then only get a few hundred Megabit over wifi).

So respectfully, no. If the problem is interference, removing a source of interference is not "treating the symptom".
[automerge]1593834204[/automerge]
I just don't understand why having multiple items plugged in to the computer could interfere with the bluetooth signal.
You're likely seeing the effects of a fairly well publicised issue with USB3: EMI (electro-magnetic interference)

You could try using shielded cables for your devices (e.g. https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-3.0/10ft-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Cable-A-to-B-Male-Male~USB3SAB10) or adding an EMI blocking choke on each cable (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/ferrite-chokes/s?k=ferrite+chokes).

There used to be a kit for 2014 era Mac minis that would allow you to better shield the bluetooth module itself but I don't believe the 2018 design allows for this type of modification.

Last edited:
Reactions: robotica

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
Er, I'm using 3 x USB-c and both USB ports and my Bluetooth is okay...
(I also have wifi turned off most of the time)

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
“So respectfully, no. If the problem is interference, removing a source of interference is not "treating the symptom".”

But it is “treating the symptom”. And as I wrote previously, that is a good thing, as it lets us use our Macs.

Interference is the symptom. The underlying problem is poorly shielded electronics. You even note this in your response above.

Assuming the Mini is poorly designed, if and when Apple fixes the shielding issues the problem is solved for everyone. Turning off WiFi only works for a subset of users.

Hopefully the transition to ‘ARM’ Macs will see Apple address some of the design issues with the current Mac lineup (shielding, thermals, expandability). As owners of the current models, we are stuck with a variety of work arounds.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Interference is the symptom. The underlying problem is poorly shielded electronics.
Sorry but no. Interference is the problem. Inadequate shielding is the cause.

One solution is to remove possible sources of interference, another is to use shielding on other components (such as the USB3 cables).

I never had a 2012/2014 Mini so I dont know what specifically was involved in the shielding mod that was identified or what tradeoffs it might have.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Interestingly, this problem has vanished for me in recent weeks/months. I don't remember when it stopped, it used to be almost daily before. I do know it hasn't happened once since I switched monitor from a low-end screen using the HDMI-port to a 32" using Thunderbolt.

I also use the magic trackpad/keybpard further away from the computer.

Could be coincidence I suppose

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
Sorry but no. Interference is the problem. Inadequate shielding is the cause.

One solution is to remove possible sources of interference, another is to use shielding on other components (such as the USB3 cables).

I never had a 2012/2014 Mini so I dont know what specifically was involved in the shielding mod that was identified or what tradeoffs it might have.

We’ll agree to disagree.

Cheers!

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
Been buggering about for ages to get my headphones to connect and when do connect, to not break up. I have a set of AirPods and a Sony headset.
Tonight they where terrible, not connecting at all.

but the second I removed the two cables from the USb a ports they worked flawlessly

ordered myself a usb c hub

brianblack

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2020
Update: still working perfectly, from 2pm yesterday till right now, zero issues, and I went through my normal lock/sleep process last night, and this morning, it woke up exactly as expected.

Side note: I'll __swear__ my magic mouse is working better vs. even when it was "working" before, i.e., it almost seems like it might be tracking smoother[?] Maybe there were very tiny interruptions and didn't completely disrupt use, but maybe just caused a sub-second stutter.

Hey,

I really appreciate your help on this D.T.

I was seriously banging my head against the wall for months on this issue, and installing the IO gear adapter solved the issue perfectly. I spend many hours on the phone with Apple and felt like I was going crazy. It's so infuriating that Apple doesn't acknowledge this. They have to know what the issue is. I can't believe we have to rely on each other to solve these problems, but I'm grateful that we can find a way together.

Cheers,

Brian

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Let me add my bluetooth experience to this thread for completeness sake.

I bought a 2018 MM i7/512 three weeks ago. My BT accessories - Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard - occasionally freak out once I attached a USB 3 Time Machine drive.

A more reliable symptom of BT issues is that my Apple Watch will cease to unlock the Mini when I attached the USB Time Machine drive.

I tried a USB drive on either plug and the Watch will not unlock. I suspect because I am plugging in a TM drive, the Mini starts backing up and that trips up Bluetooth.

What are the options?:

1. The IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Transmitt.r
2. Get a USB-C hub?
3. Call Apple Support and beat my head against that wall?

Last edited:

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
To solve the BT interference issue, I ended up purchasing the CalDigit TS3+ thunderbolt hub. (yes, it's pricey but I they had a 10% discount sale around July 4th). It allowed me to vacate the two USB ports entirely and now my BT signal is very good.
Prior to that, I had something plugged into every port except the HDMI. Now I just use one TB port (#1) for the CalDigit hub and another TB port (#3) for an NVME enclosure.

gfiore

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
So I wanted to share a little update on my setup. I purchased the 2018 Mac mini (Core i5, 512 GB storage, 32 GB of user upgraded RAM) about a week ago. I'm upgrading from a 2012 27 inch iMac and I was over the moon with the improvement, however, I was initially plagued with Bluetooth connectivity issues as many other owners have been. I couldn't get past the setup without connections dropping or my bluetooth mouse freezing. I have FINALLY found a solution to my problems, at least I think. Here's my current setup for anyone who is curious, HDMI port to Samsung Monitor, TB3 port to Dell Monitor through VGA adapter, TB3 port to USB-C-A adapter to Anker USB 3.0 4-port dongle, and USB 3.0 port for Logitech Unifying adapter (2 TB3 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port unoccupied). The Logitech adapter has seemingly solved the mouse connection issues for my MX Master and previously I was using a cheap Anker bluetooth keyboard that would frequently miss keystrokes and drop connection, I just upgraded to the Logitech MX Keys connected to the unifying receiver and all connections are buttery smooth even with an external hard drive plugged into my Anker dongle. Apologies for the long post, I hope that perhaps this setup may give someone else a solution to their own BT connectivity issues. All I can say is I am finally one satisfied owner of the Mac mini and look forward to years of use with my machine!

Reactions: robotica

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
So I wanted to share a little update on my setup. I purchased the 2018 Mac mini (Core i5, 512 GB storage, 32 GB of user upgraded RAM) about a week ago. I'm upgrading from a 2012 27 inch iMac and I was over the moon with the improvement, however, I was initially plagued with Bluetooth connectivity issues as many other owners have been. I couldn't get past the setup without connections dropping or my bluetooth mouse freezing. I have FINALLY found a solution to my problems, at least I think. Here's my current setup for anyone who is curious, HDMI port to Samsung Monitor, TB3 port to Dell Monitor through VGA adapter, TB3 port to USB-C-A adapter to Anker USB 3.0 4-port dongle, and USB 3.0 port for Logitech Unifying adapter (2 TB3 ports and 1 USB 3.0 port unoccupied). The Logitech adapter has seemingly solved the mouse connection issues for my MX Master and previously I was using a cheap Anker bluetooth keyboard that would frequently miss keystrokes and drop connection, I just upgraded to the Logitech MX Keys connected to the unifying receiver and all connections are buttery smooth even with an external hard drive plugged into my Anker dongle. Apologies for the long post, I hope that perhaps this setup may give someone else a solution to their own BT connectivity issues. All I can say is I am finally one satisfied owner of the Mac mini and look forward to years of use with my machine!

Its great that you have everything working. Are you using anything that requires the Mini's BT connection? If so, i missed it in your description. Sounds like it is going unused. Do you have an iPhone/iPad or other device that you can connect via the Mini's BT antenna?
Remember that your Logitech Unifying dongle is the connection between your MX Master mouse and keyboard and the Mini. I use the same dongle for my MX Master mouse with no issues as well.
Cheers.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I “fixed” mine by buying the cheapest usb c hub I could find on amazon and pluging a standard usb hub into that

was about ten pound or so

watch now unlocks and headphones work from more than a foot away
Magic keyboard and Logitech mouse work fine also

gfiore

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
Its great that you have everything working. Are you using anything that requires the Mini's BT connection? If so, i missed it in your description. Sounds like it is going unused. Do you have an iPhone/iPad or other device that you can connect via the Mini's BT antenna?
Remember that your Logitech Unifying dongle is the connection between your MX Master mouse and keyboard and the Mini. I use the same dongle for my MX Master mouse with no issues as well.
Cheers.
BT connection was stable with my AirPods Pro and a JBL bluetooth speaker and as far as iPhone/iPad connection goes I'm not sure if this answers your question but Airdrop works seamlessly and my Apple Watch still unlocks the computer.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I had serious BT issues from the start when I bought my 2018 Mini in February 2019. For a few months it seemed OK as long as I kept the far side USB-A port unused but even then it would occasionally and randomly go nuts. I found that keeping the batteries on the Magic Keyboard and Mouse fully charged seemed to help a lot. When I did have issues I would check and one of the input devices would have a low battery.

Since then I am now using the far USB-A port for my webcam and the other for a USB hub and since I have kept my batteries charged up on my mouse and keyboard I have not had any issues.

If it matters, I do not use WiFi and for a year had 2 monitors plugged into USB-C and one into the HDMI, but now have 4 monitors all connected to a Sonnett Puck eGPU connected by USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.