Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I laugh my ass off every time I come here and see this thread still going on, personally I use both platforms OS X and Vista and love them both I bought the top of line Dell studio hybird to compliment my Mac hardware and have never looked back!
Considering that the next mini will probably dispense with Firewire and who knows what else, I might consider a WinPC as my next HTPC. Since my software is all for Mac, buying Windows has never been a consideration. But with Apple's stupid moves these days, I'm less of a Mac fan. All-in-ones, glossy screens and dumping Firewire on MacBooks... What's the world coming to?

I've already been looking at Windows netbooks since Apple won't make one.

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
Considering that the next mini will probably dispense with Firewire and who knows what else, I might consider a WinPC as my next HTPC. Since my software is all for Mac, buying Windows has never been a consideration. But with Apple's stupid moves these days, I'm less of a Mac fan. All-in-ones, glossy screens and dumping Firewire on MacBooks... What's the world coming to?

Well, you might be right and all the waiting could end up in a new Mini, which would be far out of what we are waiting for and we would be at the beginning of this thread :rolleyes:

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Well, you might be right and all the waiting could end up in a new Mini, which would be far out of what we are waiting for and we would be at the beginning of this thread :rolleyes:
So in other words, you think the mini is possibly still going to come to an end?

I would not be surprised if the mini is discontinued and the low end white MacBook becomes its only replacement. More likely, IMO the mini will be updated November 11 and nobody will be happy with the update.

George.D

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Redwood City, California
Next mini I'm buyin'

I look forward to another Mac mini being announced -- it is way overdue...
I need to replace an old G3 iMac that my daughter uses and that's an affordable option, and I'm sure not going to spend money on what is at this point, an old Mac mini.

Bootsy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Hypothetical new Mini specs

Considering that the next mini will probably dispense with Firewire and who knows what else, I might consider a WinPC as my next HTPC.

Oh man, that would be brutal! No firewire on the next Mini? I suppose that's possible. After all this waiting I would hate that. My iTunes, iPhoto and video libraries are all on two external 500GB harddrives. I think the USB connections on those drives are v1, not v2.

All I want is core 2 duo, the new Nvidia chipset and the same ports as the old mini (or better for video) so I can hook up to an HDTV.

I really hope a new Mini hits in November and meets my need, otherwise I really will have to look at buying a Vista PC. What's the alternative? A Macbook Pro for my home theatre? My MacPro tower in the livingroom? This curtailing of versatility that Apple seems to be doing is so disappointing.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I did what iDave and Bootsy are thinking about doing and could not be happier! I have my Studio Hybird hooked up to a Dell 24" Ultrasharp display as stated in my post earlier this morning I love both platforms and have never had a problem with Vista or OS X. I have said it before and I will say it again, maybe it is time for Steve to step aside and let some some new ideas in the door.

You can hate Dell all you want but in today's economy you can actually buy CD2 machine for under $300 from Dell, call it junk or what ever you want but not everyone has $1000 plus to budget for a basic home computer just to check email and organize the family photos.

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
So in other words, you think the mini is possibly still going to come to an end?

I would not be surprised if the mini is discontinued and the low end white MacBook becomes its only replacement. More likely, IMO the mini will be updated November 11 and nobody will be happy with the update.

I really hope you are wrong :)

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
I really hope a new Mini hits in November and meets my need, otherwise I really will have to look at buying a Vista PC. What's the alternative? A Macbook Pro for my home theatre? My MacPro tower in the livingroom? This curtailing of versatility that Apple seems to be doing is so disappointing.

There is an alternative, thanks god - EFi-X. If Apple scre... the Mini in any way, I go that EFi-X way

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine

Buy a linux based netbook, there are more than a few out there.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Obviously a netbook isn't a very good substitute for a small desktop. Joecool's response was to my comment that I'd been looking at Windows netbooks due to Apple's inability to make one. Apple has been "going their own way" for a few years and many people are annoyed. Apparent abandonment of the mini is an example. Glossy screens are another. Dumping Firewire on new MacBooks is another.

I'd say I used to be an Apple "fanboy" but not so much anymore. I'm starting to scope out the alternatives. Lack of a good inexpensive desktop and a low cost netbook are real problems for Apple, in my mind, but Apple doesn't care.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Apple has been "going their own way" for a few years and many people are annoyed. Apparent abandonment of the mini is an example. Glossy screens are another. Dumping Firewire on new MacBooks is another.

I'd say I used to be an Apple "fanboy" but not so much anymore. I'm starting to scope out the alternatives. Lack of a good inexpensive desktop and a low cost netbook are real problems for Apple, in my mind, but Apple doesn't care.
I also used to be a fanboy. When I wanted a fast laptop with a Core2Duo and dedicated video, I bought a Dell with the power of a MacBook Pro.

Getting tired of waiting for an Apple Intel mid tower, I built a Hackintosh.

Apple is losing some sales as a few of you have pointed out.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Apple has been "going their own way" for a few years and many people are annoyed. Apparent abandonment of the mini is an example. Glossy screens are another. Dumping Firewire on new MacBooks is another.

And dropping Classic mode in Leopard and PPC support in Snow Leopard are others. Each of these offends a different segment of their customer base. Pretty soon they will have offended everyone, chipping away at what was once a tenaciously loyal customer base.

I understand the argument that Apple still makes better products than can be found elsewhere. But still, without customer loyalty there will be no reason to stick around when a better product does come from elsewhere.

Bootsy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Getting tired of waiting for an Apple Intel mid tower, I built a Hackintosh.

How well does yours work? I have nowhere near the expertise I would need, but if Apple doesn't come through with a useful Mini before 2009 I think I'm going to head down that rabbit hole.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
How well does yours work? I have nowhere near the expertise I would need, but if Apple doesn't come through with a useful Mini before 2009 I think I'm going to head down that rabbit hole.
I am glad I built my Hackintosh. It is in a large tower so it can have 5 internal hard drives, 3 optical drives and a floppy drive or a ZIP drive also. There are many slots for adding cards, so it is very expandable.

The processor and video can be changed to suit your purposes. If anything breaks, I can fix it myself.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Steve should be embarrassed to have the current Mac mini on the Apple website.

The smartest move for Apple would be to take the MacBook, remove the display, keyboard and battery and call it the new Mac mini. They'd gain huge economies of scale by leveraging almost all the components of their best selling model and the mini would go from being a gutless joke to a serious consideration for a lot of people.

Connected to a notebook the iSight and speakers on the new 24" display look redundant, but hooked up a tiny desktop and they make perfect sense. I think we're going to see a new mini either in November or January.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
The smartest move for Apple would be to take the MacBook, remove the display, keyboard and battery and call it the new Mac mini. They'd gain huge economies of scale by leveraging almost all the components of their best selling model and the mini would go from being a gutless joke to a serious consideration for a lot of people.
Seriously. It seems like a simple idea. No screen, no hinge, no keyboard, no battery, no latch, and the power switch moved to outside. Just about everything else could be identical and it would make a nice new mini.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
If Apple are developing a new Mini, shouldn't we have heard something about it by now? I notice we're now starting to get iMac rumours, with new computers perhaps a few weeks away.

I don't think there has been anything Mini related for 7 or 8 months, and then it was only to say it was to be discontinued - sadly, a rumour which is looking increasingly likely in my opinion.:(

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Poor Poor Mini :( No attention even the last update a year ago was cold as ice and yet Mini keeps selling and selling. Jobs must be wishing he had hair to pull out.:eek: Apple sometimes does some D.A. stuff.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly

What makes you think it will be on Nov 11th , you seem certain almost ...sorry if I've missed something I haven't read through posts for a while:eek:

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
What makes you think it will be on Nov 11th , you seem certain almost ...
Sorry if it sounded certain...just a prediction. Early September I posted an estimate for a mini upgrade, based on when I expected MacBooks would be updated and a reasonable number of weeks after that before the mini would get a quiet, no-fanfare update.

I really don't see a major redesign coming for the mini but would love to be proven wrong.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Bregalad, just a few messages ago, points out that the iSight and speakers on the new LED displays are redundant if you have a notebook hooked up to it. However, its the perfect display for a desktop system. I don't know what you would do with the MagSafe power adapter with Mini, unless the power plug on the Mini "latched" the MagSafe down.

From what I've read here the Mini hasn't been updated in past before the MacBooks. Also, Apple will be looking to bring in a more affordable system in the current economic reality.... probably before the holiday sales. .... the entrails have spoken - new Mini announced with the new display, as a "one more thing".

TiggsPanther

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Hampshire/Surrey, UK
Sorry if it sounded certain...just a prediction. Early September I posted an estimate for a mini upgrade, based on when I expected MacBooks would be updated and a reasonable number of weeks after that before the mini would get a quiet, no-fanfare update.

I really don't see a major redesign coming for the mini but would love to be proven wrong.

Actually, the way things are going, I'm really hanging on for a no-fanfare minor refresh with no major redesign.

As I think any redesign would end up dropping Firewire. I have a (cheap) Firewire camcorder that I use for the occasional family get-together. And my iBook G4 really isn't up to the task of doing much with it. But without Firewire on a new machine, I'd be totally stuffed..

Problem is, it's looking increasingly evident to me that the only Mac that's anywhere near what I need (at the level I can afford) is the White MacBook - which is still overpriced for me as I don't really want another Mac laptop (and could do with the extra couple of hundred pounds for elsewhere).

If that happens, it will probably be my last Mac purchase, which will be a shame. But I shall be using the Linux machine I need to get as well to slowly figure out how to transition all of my needs to the Linux platform.
(And I'd rather figure that out at my leisure, hence needing one final Mac to keep me going for a few years)

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Two Minis?

Perhaps we'll see the old white mini maintained as the entry level and a new metal version with new chip set and higher price point introduced. But that strategy would be contrary to the idea of the mini as a low price entry point to Mac PCs. They do offer two configurations currently though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.