Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
aswitcher said:
Well this is good. We should have some user reports on iLife 05' soon.

Yes, this will be very good. I can't wait to get my copy of iLife.

Plus, you all know that it is your Macrumors duty to post pictures of your new mini, right?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
crazedbytheheat said:
Either way, these things appear to be flying off the eShelves.

I'm sorry to tell you, but when Apple takes over the world with their new army of Mac minis, you'll have to say "iShelves." ;)

Anyway, this is looking very good, and I'm happy to hear that they're shipping these machines.

For all of you who are concerned with the on or before date, stay cool! I was given a Oct. 10 (2003) ship date for my PM G5, but it showed up a week and a half early (Sept. 24, 2003)! Maybe you won't get the results I did, but it shouldn't be too bad.
-Chase

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
dguisinger said:
Actually, notebook components are easier to get these days; he could probably swap the hard drive out if he felt like it, but there may be some heat grease to put back on for proper cooling.
Getting one won't be an issue, the size of it will be though. From what I've heard notebook drives max out at about 100GB and the biggest available in volume are 80GB, hence why the drives are only available up to 80GB in the mini.

daddy-mojo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
L.A.
I agree

LinuxGigolo said:
It would have been about $55 more. $55 isn't worth it for the 0.17 GHz difference.

I agree, its a few bucks less to up the specs on the low end instead of the high end.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
Well, my Mini should be here by Saturday or Monday, but it's going to go up on eBay so I could buy an iMac G5! I spent $850 for a 1.4 GHz, SD, AE, and BT, and I don't even have a monitor yet! Damn buyer's remorse....

anyone interested?? :cool:

eizzumdm

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
Princeton, NJ
My Mac mini is shipping

Mine is BTO and I got the shipping notice at 2:32 AM today. 512 MB/80 GB/BT/SuperDrive/1.4GHz :D

I placed my order around noon on the 12th.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
100GB is more than my eMac has internally...

tubedogg said:
Getting one won't be an issue, the size of it will be though. From what I've heard notebook drives max out at about 100GB and the biggest available in volume are 80GB, hence why the drives are only available up to 80GB in the mini.

Well, my eMac only has an 80GB drive, but I use external 160, 80, and 80 GB drives for video storage. The only problem I see with this setup on the mini is that it only has 1 FireWire port, so I can't have my camera on a separate chain from my (active) hard drive. (When capturing, I have just the cam on one port, just the 'active' hard drive on the other.)

I may very well sell the eMac for a mini, though; as I already have a 19" CRT that does 1600x1200 nicely. The only downside is that the eMac has an 8x SuperDrive, as opposed to the mini's 4x. (Oh well, it's the encoding that takes forever, anyway.)

johnWinter

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
San Francisco
Is this normal?

So I ordered a BTO 1.42Ghz Mac mini (with 512MB RAM and BT) on 1/14...and my ship date is listed as "On or before 2/15"... ACK! Anyone with a similar configuration care to confirm that this is accurate? Just seems a bit long for only a couple days after it was announced....

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Well, congratulations to everyone who is receiving their minis in the next week.

We're all looking forward to reading your reviews.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Anonymous Freak said:
Well, my eMac only has an 80GB drive, but I use external 160, 80, and 80 GB drives for video storage. The only problem I see with this setup on the mini is that it only has 1 FireWire port, so I can't have my camera on a separate chain from my (active) hard drive. (When capturing, I have just the cam on one port, just the 'active' hard drive on the other.)

It does have USB 2.0, so you could just get a drive supporting both FW and USB2.0.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
johnWinter said:
So I ordered a BTO 1.42Ghz Mac mini (with 512MB RAM and BT) on 1/14...and my ship date is listed as "On or before 2/15"... ACK! Anyone with a similar configuration care to confirm that this is accurate? Just seems a bit long for only a couple days after it was announced....

I ordered the same spec plus a superdrive (plus a few other bits and pieces :D ) last sunday (16th) and got a ship date of the 14th Feb.
That is from the UK Apple small business store.

I'm really pleased for all you guys that are getting ship notices.....no really I am...not jealous at all ;)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Hope that we will see good test and reviews soon, more detaled takeaparts and upgraded RAM++ and how does in do performnce wise for the new apps and OS cooming and that have just been released :D

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
The Mac mini will do just fine. It will sell in greater volume than any other mac before it simply because of the price. Even if just Mac users are the ones that are buying it.
The only problem that the Mac mini has is that it has no major function that will draw in people like the iPod did. The OS is not enough, if it was more Macs would be sold. The Mac mini needs a killer app that will make having a second computer something anyone can swallow. I hope its a TiVo-like app or a server/media player. If Apple could come up with some subscription based OS that has all the .Mac stuff and media management, it would make the mini sell as much as the iPod.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
johnWinter said:

Unfortunately, it seems the first batch of Mac minis has sold out extremely fast. If you didn't order one within the first couple of hours after the keynote, you'll have to wait for the second batch being produced in East Asia.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
reyesmac said:
The Mac mini will do just fine. It will sell in greater volume than any other mac before it simply because of the price. Even if just Mac users are the ones that are buying it.
The only problem that the Mac mini has is that it has no major function that will draw in people like the iPod did. The OS is not enough, if it was more Macs would be sold. The Mac mini needs a killer app that will make having a second computer something anyone can swallow. I hope its a TiVo-like app or a server/media player. If Apple could come up with some subscription based OS that has all the .Mac stuff and media management, it would make the mini sell as much as the iPod.

What about iLife? The suite is still unmatched in the Windows world. Yes, there a programs that can do the same things (or even more) than iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand but if you bought all those apps, you' end up spending hundreds of $.

bipto

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
mlrproducts said:
Apple made me mad. I ordered within 30 mins of the store coming back up (BTO, Superdrive and BT). I called the NEXT DAY to up it to 512RAM. The genious on the phone CANCELLED my previous order (due to arrive on Jan 22) and entered a whole new one, with the upped memory. Now it says its shipping on or before Feb 10th...

GRR....
I've had the same issue with Apple in the past. It's a good thing to know. They don't change orers, they cancel them and create new ones. Buyer beware...

bipto

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
Oh yeah, and my mom's mini just left Shenzhen, China! :cool:

I don't recall ever ordering a new Apple product and 1) having it ship so early after announcement, and 2) having it ship on time without being delayed. Way to go Apple!

Anyone order a Bronze Keyboard PowerBook G3 right after its announcement? Anyone remember how many months they waited for it? Ah, those were the days...

AndrewTosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
Apple Store?

Have they arrived in store yet, or will they be arriving on the 22nd? All I want is a stock 1.25/256/40 mini. If I take a ~1h drive to Delaware, I can pick one up for $480 and no tax. I don't want to wait around until February! :p

-Andrew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.