Mac Mini or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TitanVex, Jun 13, 2010.

1. TitanVex macrumors newbie

Hello. I was wondering if I should get a Mac Mini or an iMac. I want it to last for a long time. I don't do anything too demanding on the desktop, mainly surfing, email, etc. The usual. I have a keyboard, mouse, and display, but the iMac display is pretty nice... Also, I think the iMac is such a better value for what you get with it, right? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks in advanced.

-TitanVex

2. indg macrumors 6502

an imac would probably be overkill for your needs. my general advice is to buy the cheapest mac that will do what you need today and for the next few months. simple as that.

3. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

both the low end imac and mac mini will be more than enough for you. it really comes down to personal preference. mac mini is cheaper while imac is more capable.

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

5. MrMoore macrumors 6502

Either one would be fine for what your uses are.

If you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor, then a MacMini would be cheaper. Also if you don't like the glossy screens on the iMac, being able to choose a different monitor could be a plus.

If you need the whole widget, then the iMac is a better choice.

6. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

While the iMacs are great machines, aesthetic and tech wise, the mini should be quite fine for you. It really boils down to if you'd rather a small and "portable" desktop or the display of the iMac.

7. AchtungGuy macrumors newbie

Just make sure you get 4GB of RAM in that Mini and it should work fine. 2 just doesn't seem to cut it.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

9. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

well if you dont care about the all in one form factor I am sure you can get a larger monitor (aka larger than 21.5) and a mac mini for the price of the entry level imac...

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

Take up more space on your desk?

11. TitanVex thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, touche

12. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

If you already have a monitor, go for the new mini. :) It's fresh!!

13. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

I would go with the imac if i were you, the lowend imac will outlast the mini for a few years. Apple needs to get their **** together. Still core 2 duos? wtf Atleast put an i3 in there with an i5 top end. Also, 256mb vram? Pathetic for a desktop

14. SingaporeStu macrumors regular

I'd say go for the mini now, then change the monitor (and the rest of your peripherals) later when you have more coin. Some of the newer Samsung displays look pretty sweet...

Besides, your computing needs will likely change, as will your income/ earning power. Who knows, maybe a few years down, you'll have a MBP as your primary computer,and the mini will be your HTPC/ home server.

The mini is flexible that way...

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Get a mac pro... it has the screen flexibility of the mac mini with the power of the iMac

:p

Seriously, if you have the mouse/keyboard/monitor already, and don't need power, get a mini. Otherwise, get an iMac.

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I say go for the mini...its small and has enough power for you. You can even carry it in your bag when you go to someone's house :D

17. MacSignal macrumors regular

Either machine will meet your immediate needs.

From a value perspective, the iMac has the advantage. It would also be better suited to scaling up to more ambitious computing tasks in the future.

The Mini would give you a lower initial starting cost if you use your existing KB, mouse and monitor. As someone else already mentioned, it also lets you change your monitor independent of everything else. It would also run two monitors if you ever wanted to do that.

18. iCole macrumors regular

Doesn't the Mini use a slower HDD then the iMac? Mine has the same specs but is much slower then my iMac. Anyway, I have both.

I prefer my iMac for the better display, the integrated speakers which are actually pretty good (and really suck on the mini) and integrated webcam/mic. It's just, more ready to go. But the Mini in its own respect is a pretty good machine. I use it as a mediacenter.

If i were you, i would go for the basic iMac. Better value for money, you have something totally new to get all excited for and the screen is really good. (and you can add much more ram)

19. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

At the current time, this question may be better worded as "what can the Mini do that the iMac can't." Assuming we're comparing the Mini to the base 21.5" iMac, the biggest difference (IMHO) is the Geforce 320M in the Mini. It is a TREMENDOUS improvement over the 9400M! So, while the iMac has a faster processor, the Mini has the edge in graphics. Personally, I'd pick the Mini and a nice, large monitor.

No thanks on the i3 if that means I'd be stuck with the TERRIBLE Intel HD Graphics. Unless there's room for a dedicated card, I'll keep my C2D, thanks. The combo of 2.4 C2D and Geforce 320M in the my MBP are plenty fast.

20. Christina1971 macrumors regular

21. EasyJW macrumors member

imac because if you add the cost of the peripherals to the mini, it is very similarly priced and drastically underpowered [​IMG]

22. alea macrumors newbie

My opinion is get the mac mini. The latest refresh (Jun 15, 2010) is none too shabby. Brand new unibody and more importantly, from an entertainment standpoint, HDMI out, the first for apple.

Since your requirements are not intensive at all and you have most, if not all of the peripherals needed ie. keyboard, mouse and display, why not save some cash and go for the mini.

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Or two nice, large monitors. One up to 1920 x 1200 (I bet 2048 x 1152 works as well), and one up to 2560 x 1600.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The new Mini has HDMI 1.4 which can drive up to 3840x2160. Don't know has Apple limited it though

25. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Now there's an idea! :D But personally I'd have to do matched, so I'd say a pair of 1920x1080 23.6-inchers. They're pretty cheap, too!