Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on updates across its entire product line for the second half of 2018, according to a new investor's note shared this morning by reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with refreshes expected for iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Apple Watch.

appleproductlineup-800x435.jpg

Much of what Kuo has to share has been mentioned before, but he provides a nice overview of what we can expect to see this fall along with some interesting new tidbits on Apple's upcoming product lineup.
  • iPhone - There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one lower-cost LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size. All three will feature Face ID and upgraded A12 processors. While the two OLED models will have dual-lens cameras, the lower-cost model will feature a single-lens camera.
  • iPad Pro - Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that are equipped with a full-screen design similar to the iPhone X and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.
  • Mac mini - Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon.
  • MacBook Pro - Processor upgrades expected.
  • MacBook - Processor upgrades expected.
  • New Low-Priced Notebook - Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook, so Apple may be planning to expand the MacBook lineup with an additional low-cost option to replace the MacBook Air.
  • iMac - Kuo says to expect a significant display performance upgrade, but he does not go into detail about what this will entail and we haven't heard additional iMac rumors at this time. He says the iMac, like other Macs, will get a processor refresh.
  • Apple Watch - Apple is working on two new Apple Watch models for 2018 that will have bigger displays and enhanced heart rate detection features. The two Apple Watch models will measure in at 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm), roughly 15 percent bigger than in the current models. Rumors have not been clear on whether the Apple Watch itself will be larger or if the bigger display will come from a reduction in bezels.
Kuo wraps up his note with a prediction that the highly-anticipated AirPods and the AirPower will go into mass production in the third quarter of 2018, suggesting a late fall launch. Apple first announced the AirPower in the fall of 2017, but has reportedly run into some problems with production. Recent rumors have said Apple is aiming for a September launch for the AirPower.

Kuo doesn't provide details on when we might see refreshes to Apple's other product lines, but the company could be planning to launch all of the new products at its annual September event, which is typically held during the first or second week of September.

In the past, Apple has also held separate October events when there is a heavy fall product lineup to unveil, so Macs and iPads could also come in that month.

Article Link: Mac Mini Refresh, New Low-Cost Notebook, Apple Watches With Larger Displays and More Coming This Fall

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have a 2017 iMac with a fantastic display, what is the significant upgrade going to do? My biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of 4K codec support with YouTube. I have a 5K display with a 1080P limit on one of the most popular video sites. Sure, I can use another browser but I should not have to. Safari is fine for me otherwise why the need for a 3rd party.

I waited for a Mini before I bought my iMac. I don't need a new one now but happy to see something might happen with them. I thought mine was fantastic. It has been reduced to a family machine for occasional use but it's still running.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Do we really need another low cost notebook? There is macbook and macbook air. They should merge those and leave it as it is. Just give more ports for crying out loud. Who wants a notebook with just one port that can't even be charged at the same time when using another peripheral :)
All we need is macbook, macbook pro line when it comes to notebook line. No need for mess

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
A user-upgradeable Mac mini would be an instant buy for me. I have two that are on their last legs. One can't get upgraded to Mojave, one is on the dev beta and runs perfect, but likely won't see another OS update after. Both have SSDs, a second HDD, and maxed out RAM. These were the perfect Macs for hobbyists and Apple chose to neuter the product and then neglect it.

Apple can show Mac users they are serious about the Mac by giving us a great Mac mini again. We already see where they are going with the iMac and notebook lines and many of us would choose to stay away from them if we could.

The Don Onez

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Huntsville, AL
How can anyone be against lower cost. Sheesh. If you don't need it, don't buy it.
Do we really need another low cost notebook? There is macbook and macbook air. They should merge those and leave it as it is. Just give more ports for crying out loud. Who wants a notebook with just one port that can't even be charged at the same time when using another peripheral :)
All we need is macbook, macbook pro line when it comes to notebook line. No need for mess

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I have a 2017 iMac with a fantastic display, what is the significant upgrade going to do? My biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of 4K codec support with YouTube. I have a 5K display with a 1080P limit on one of the most popular video sites. Sure, I can use another browser but I should not have to. Safari is fine for me otherwise why the need for a 3rd party.

I'm hoping for ProMotion, i.e. variable and high refresh rate, that already exists on the iPad Pro. HDR would be a nice bonus, but I'm not expecting that.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
iMac - Significant display performance upgrade alongside a processor upgrade.
The 5K iMac's display resolution is fine, but the MacBook Pro does need a resolution bump. Plenty of PC manufacturers have been selling laptops with 2160p displays for years now, while the MacBook Pro is still stuck at 1800p and needing a non-native resolution to achieve the same amount of screen space.

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
Did i just read Mac Mini ? :eek:

People in this forum that complained Apple didn't update the Mac Mini are ALL going to buy it!

100% sure, you can bet on it.

[*]iPhone - There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size.

Okay

[*]iPad - Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch models that are equipped with a full-screen design and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.

Good, the home button is annoying to use, it's out of the way, I always use the gestures when I can.

[*]Mac mini - Processor upgrades expected.

LOL!

It will never be good until Apple makes basically PC with a 1080ti for $399, and even then, people will find a reason to complain (sponsored by iFixit, bought to you by OnePlus, etc.)

[*]MacBook Pro - Processor upgrades expected.
[*]MacBook - Processor upgrades expected.

The outcry will continue because someone thinks they can configure computers better than Apple.

[*]New Low-Priced Notebook - Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook.

Finally! Kill the MacBook Air, and give the MB two USB-C ports.

[*]iMac - Significant display performance upgrade alongside a processor upgrade.

Wow! 8K iMac? ProMotion 5K iMac?

[*]Apple Watch - Two new models in sizes that include 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm) with an enhanced heart rate detection feature.

Okay

Last edited:

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
A user-upgradeable Mac mini would be an instant buy for me. I have two that are on their last legs. One can't get upgraded to Mojave, one is on the dev beta and runs perfect, but likely won't see another OS update after. Both have SSDs, a second HDD, and maxed out RAM. These were the perfect Macs for hobbyists and Apple chose to neuter the product and then neglect it.

Apple can show Mac users they are serious about the Mac by giving us a great Mac mini again. We already see where they are going with the iMac and notebook lines and many of us would choose to stay away from them if we could.

User upgradeable? 0.000% chance.

Great for the rest of the news though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.