Mac Mini Refresh, New Low-Cost Notebook, Apple Watches With Larger Displays and More Coming This Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2018.

1. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Yeah, doesn't feel right. If they just wanted to do a speedbump, they could have done it three years ago.

Unless the upgrade is an ARM...:eek:

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

If you're a mini owner, ANY upgrade is good. Anything to sustain the life of a great under appreciated ( by Apple it seems ) line of products.

3. ThisBougieLife, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Curious to know what the "display performance upgrade" in the iMac is. Maybe 120 Hz refresh rate?

4. Macman8472 macrumors newbie

Macman8472

And in 2023, Apple will announce replacements for the 2018 computer products, because it is a phone company first. Still no 17" laptops, still selling small toy laptops. No change in iMac screen size, still stuck at 27" when everyone wants a choice of 30, 32 or 34" screens. Still no 4K or 5K screens, still no Mac Pro. But we get new phones every year. Still no new software for iWork, Final Cut Pro etc. Still stuck on old versions with less features from previous versions. Mac user since 1994, but am now losing interest in Apple's computer products. Old graphics cards, old processors, old RAM, stuck with 16GB max with laptops, desktops not much compared to PCs.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Mac Mini: I don't expect a redesign but I hope they'll update the internal and continue selling it.
    Apple Watch: not sure if I'm going to upgrade this year or in 2019, LTE is not yet available in my country so I guess I'll stick with my series 1 until it becomes available.

6. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Complain that with Google.

It's Google limiting Macs to 1080p.

All other video sites (e.g. vimeo and twitch) offer 4K on the Mac.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I hope they add more than 2 USB C ports to the 13 inch MacBook Pro without Touch Bar. It’s the same size as the one with Touch Bar, and it has 4 ports.

8. 827538 macrumors 65816

I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

But I do agree, the Macbook Air should be killed off and the Macbook be given a price cut and two USB-C ports. I love my Macbook but it's annoying not being able to charge it from either side.

9. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

I’m not mac mini user...mac pro. I’m happy for you mini buyers....if true. Hope it’s upgradable...not likely.

10. xyz01 macrumors member

A couple of ideas - since I'm waiting for new iMacs so I can replace my aging 27" iMac from 2013.

• FaceID. Easier to add to computers than TouchID.
    • 802.11ax. This is a big one for me, since I'll be stuck with it for many years.
    • Newer CPUs. Preferably ones that has built in fixes for Spectre, and thus losing less performance to workarounds in firmware.
    • Newer GPUs. Nvidia would be preferred, but at least - increase performance even if you stay with ATI.
    • More reasonable SSD only pricing, and bump the flash storage for Fusion drive.
    • If I could dream, ATI thread ripper CPUs. Not going to happen, but would be really nice.
    • OLED displays.
    • Truetone displays.
    • Less bezel. Far more important than "thinner". Use this for increased screen size.

11. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Mac Mini
    Why upgrade it now and not last year? Or the year before. Or the year before that.

Very mysterious.

Surely it won’t get a redesign before we have ARM chips on it and surely it’s way to early for any Mac to go ARM.

I hope everyone who is furious about the lack of a new mini goes out and buys one - even two!

iMac
    5k displays across the board, with the white point correction etc as found in the 8 series iPhones?

MacBook
    Ok, makes sense

‘13 inch MacBook’
    Surely this is going to be the new Air. All rumours point to it being a mid range fan cooled intel core processor and that doesn’t fit with the fanless MacBook line.

Apple Watch
    This is going to be a good one. ‘Squarcle’ edge to edge display ahoy.

The rest pf the rumours I guess we all know.

12. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Always gonna find that negativity here.

With the way Intel chips are going lately, it'll be awful to miss out on that 4% power boost.

It's like people forget how it used to be, when your computer was already vastly obsolete the day after you bought it.

13. interessiert macrumors regular

Please keep the Mac Book Air (maybe with improved processor) alive and available!

It's the best Apple Laptop concept brought on market over the last 7 years :):apple:

Oversized TouchPad, disfunction of keyboard, just USB-C sockets and just 10 hours battery working time: :(
    THUMB DOWN !

14. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

iPad, iPhone, watches: all nice upgrades with new sizes and screens! New notebook with lower price!
    MacbookPro: processor upgrade......
    Man, I hope there is more than just a processor upgrade in the MBP's. That could have happened months ago...

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could well be right, though if that happens it might be a deal-killer for me. The 42mm watch is a little big on my wrist so I am not going to be much interested in a 45mm watch unless the overall dimensions of the watch don't increase. I sure don't want to give up or repurchase the pricey Milanese Loop band I already own. Ideal scenario for me is the 40mm watch takes 42mm bands, but as you say, probably not going to happen.

16. 827538 macrumors 65816

I'm sure I have played 1440p videos on Youtube on my Macbook.
    Should support the VP9 codec.

17. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

Are the rumored new dimensions supposed to be for the larger faces/displays? Or width at bands? or...?

18. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Even so, I'm curious why Apple wouldn't bring 120 Hz to both the iMac and MacBook Pro at the same time. I would expect the iMac to be more of a challenge for this, not less.

19. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Also...it might fail like imac pro or something similar

20. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I have a series 3 with the Apple watch band. I could go for a series 4 if I can keep my current band. If not then I bail.

21. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Yes. The rumour is "Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini" and a random speculation about expecting a processor upgrade. So, it's a years old rumour.

22. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Well at least they’ll sell a couple hundred then :D

But seriously, this may be the last mini update if Apple can’t figure out a way to sell more of them.

Interestingly, the small form factor has been doing pretty well in the PC market in recent years, it’s something like 25% of the market now.

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The skeptic in me thinks that Apple is really testing the interest in the Mini still. It's one thing to post on a forum you'll buy one on the day it come out, it's another to actually do it. I have a feeling this will be some small upgrade to keep us Mini owners happy. If the sales are truly as great as Mini owners would indicate, you can expect some really desired redesign/upgrade, to cash in on that double dipping money goodness. But that's the skeptic in me talking, I just want to be able to have a mini that can be updated.

24. Konceptz804 macrumors member

So...touchID is just gone.... :( guess I'll have to hold onto my iphone 8 as long as possible.

25. kcroyal macrumors newbie

I love my Mac Mini, but its primary use now is a media center and a vpn client. I love it for that but use my MB and my wife's MB for anything computing related. I'd buy a new mac mini once apple stops supporting the 2014.