Mac Mini Refresh, New Low-Cost Notebook, Apple Watches With Larger Displays and More Coming This Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SJ Burnett, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

SJ Burnett macrumors newbie

And a case that's sealed for life, with all components - including HDD/SSD - solidly bonded to the board. How dare we attempt to upgrade!!!

2. geromi912 macrumors regular

Lamborghini doesn’t sell a car under 50k. The cheapest huracán is 200k and it performs (almost) like a 200k car should. Apple? More like a Hyundai with a Lamborghini bodykit.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2018 ---
    A consumer Mac tower with 65/95w cpu and 150/250w consumer grade gpu is everything many people want.

3. jwdsail macrumors 6502

Silent update it is.

A "quieter" keyboard?

Sigh.

Yup, that's what we all hated about it. It was too *loud*. Not that it had a flawed design that allowed it to fail due to common amounts of dust found in most homes or offices, not that the lack of key travel is actually painful for some who were brought up as a touch typists and perform a lot of data input. Nope, we thought it was just too damn loud. Yup...

So, now the new maxed out price for the 15" is $2400 higher, the 2TB option w/ max processor/ram went up $400 (now $4699), the new full-tilt maxed out price is $6699, and it still comes with the crappiest keyboard Apple's ever made.

Yup.

For that much it better come w/ a three year supply of whatever they're smoking at the mothership these days.

I have a idea.

I'll pay that plus a premium to anyone that can put the new screen and internals into a 2012-non-retina style case w/ it's original keyboard. Understanding that the ports will need to be modified for the TB3, and lack of USB2/3 etc. I just want to keep my KB. This could be modifying a customer supplied case, or custom fabricating an updated 2012-non-retina case that would accommodate both the 2012 KB and new LCD/internals...

Who's with me?

4. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

How much does Apple pay that guy (the imore guy)? It's like he's reading from a marketing script. "Never hit that limit" is what they say with every significant processor or graphics upgrade, but that's only until the projects become more complex and then suddenly they're at a limit and you need the next update. :D

5. Emeraldsmines1990 macrumors newbie

I hope that the new MAC mini is based on AMD Ryzen APU , and not with intel stupid internal graphics

6. SJ Burnett macrumors newbie

Yep, same here. I have two Minis as well, both venerable old beasts.

I feel your pain, but it's like a relationship that once was fresh and new, and has now gone sour. At first the updates kept coming; we sat by the computer, eagerly waiting for the next. We loved Apple, and they seemed to love us in return. But then the updates became rather more perfunctory, and they came less and less often. As in many relationships, they won't actually tell you it's over; you're supposed to guess. Maybe someone needs to say: "Actually, they really aren't that into you." Nor me either.

I've known that since they started selling the watch. The iPad i could understand. And maybe the iPhone. But with the watch, their transformation into a company that sold fashion accessories was blatant. It became very clear that this was no longer a computer company. It was a company that, as part of marketing what we must call a "lifestyle", just happened to sell computers. The distinction is not a trivial one.

7. bkkcanuck8 macrumors 6502

They don't need to pay him, he is a Mac enthusiast. He is honest with what he sees as issues, but he is not someone that dwells on issues that are just business decisions. This is really the first look, the real reviews take time.

8. Thomas2006 macrumors 6502

I think the Mac mini will get an update. The HDMI port will (should) get version 2.1, the two Thunderbolt 2 Mini DisplayPorts will become two Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports and the four USB-A ports will get USB 3.1 specs.

Whatever Apple does to the Mac mini, they need to do it before they release macOS Mojave so people that are still using 32-bit applications will be able to run them on new hardware.

9. orangehand macrumors newbie

How did you brick it? I've upgraded dozens of current and previous gen Minis to SSD and 10.13. Genuinely curious
    As to the watch, how many people actually have these things? Amongst my friends and clients, mainly affluent, often fashion-conscious, not a single one has an Apple watch. (I'm happy with my Roly, thanks!)

10. bkkcanuck8 macrumors 6502

I am not the target audience - would never buy a watch... at least not since I was younger... Never had a watch last more than a week... even ones built for sporting...

11. Icy1007 macrumors 65816

Icy1007

Coffee Lake is not THAT big of a jump over Kaby Lake. It is better, but not exponentially so.
    Apple will never use an AMD processor.

12. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Millions of people who are not your friends and clients. :)

(Estimate is 33 million sold).

13. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

If Apple wants to get secondary school systems to adopt their laptops as bulk purchase items, they need to be able to compete price wise with Chromebooks and PCs. Right now, Apple laptop prices, combined with very few ports, sets them at a disadvantage in that market. Perhaps Apple is no longer interested in that market, and if that's the case, there will be a whole generation of kids never exposed to Apple laptops and MacOS. They will likely continue to use products with which they are familiar as graduates and adults. Along that vein, I'm starting - particularly as of this summer - to see a LOT of college students with new Dell XPS-13 and XPS-15 laptops. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, the majority of students purchased MB and MBP laptops. A combination of affordability, good performance and practical ports, and the possibility of no familiarity with MacOS, might have led to these purchases. Ports are particularly valued at the college level, as USB thumb drives and connectors, as well as SD cards are in common use in conjunction with their laptops, especially with the decline of builtin CD/DVD RW drives. In the last 3 or 4 years, with QC issues and dropping of ports, Apple laptops don't appear to be worth a long term investment (as per buying a laptop which will last 3 or 4 years while in college).

14. Freida macrumors 65816

Yes, true. But I'm not surprised. Apple is expensive, always was and always will be. When I compared the price of latest iPhone few years ago it was 519 pounds for their flagship device and I think that was with upgraded storage now you can't get their flagship device for that money. People defend that as inflation etc. but people then don't apply the same mentality to their notebook line.
    They expect the entry level to be cheaper than it is now. I get them, there should be a type of computer just like the old plastic one was. Reasonably priced, had all the needed ports and it was a great choice for students.
    There is no such device these days. Air is useless unless you do text only or emails, macbook is just ******** (one port? come on) and macbook pro is very expensive. Result? We all know.
    I think Apple is pushing iPads to education and gave up on notebooks.

I really hope the iPhone will fail in few years time. We need more focus on mac as that is centric to their system in the long run. Ignore mac => lose a lot of people eventually.

15. geromi912 macrumors regular

Or superior nvidia graphics.

16. droog Suspended

droog

But but...metal 2 will surely drop graphics load. WE SHOULD ALL BE FINE WITH 7950s till 2040!
    (barf)

17. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

I don't think the iPhone will fail that soon, though I suspect it will decline, as has the Mac, and for similar reasons - high price, lack of convenient ports (esp. the 3.5mm jack), increasingly competitive Android phones, and with the decline of the Mac the "walled garden" is becoming less of a plus. Apple, since the death of SJ, has put itself on a long term course of being a luxury phone / iOS device company. The Mac, with its practical ports, upgradable hardware, and OS finely tuned to that hardware, has become the ugly stepsister in Apple offerings. I will be very surprised if the Mac, at least as manufactured by Apple, exists in 5 years. Perhaps they'll license it out to a subsidiary, but I suspect not. In the meantime, I'm at least encouraged by the relative health and improvement of PC and Android mobile offerings, and with the creative health of the Linux OS desktop. I miss the old Apple, I don't miss Windows domination of the PC, but am intrigued by the potential for PC/Linux platform to excel, at least among the performance computing crowd - scientists, engineers, and other such professionals. Perhaps tablets and mobile phones are sufficient for others.

18. Mol1n macrumors member

Is there any chance that Apple would release another 27" 1440p iMac?

19. HowardEv macrumors member

HowardEv

If they ditch the Mini’s power cord and put in a 24 hour battery, should they change the name to Mac Awesome, or what?

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Why would Apple make a battery-powered mini? Wouldn’t you need a battery-powered monitor to go along with it? And you would still need to plug in a cord so you could charge the battery.

21. geromi912 macrumors regular

It’s more likely that they will kill the 1080p iMac

22. Mol1n macrumors member

You mean there is a chance they could update it to a 27" @ 1440p screen?

23. Emeraldsmines1990 macrumors newbie

Apple is already using AMD Graphics .. I dont think they cant use AMD CPU.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2018 ---
    Mac mini will never have superior Graphics , it will kill the iMAC line ...

Most people will just buy a cheap monitor and Mac Mini and ignore the iMAC altogether if Apple made MAc mini Graphics the same level.

24. geromi912 macrumors regular

Lol the reason why many people buy macs is FCPX, and it’s only faster than adobe premiere because of intel quick sync. Using AMD processors will completely destroy that. Also they will have to explain the massive drop in single core performance. And ALL macs should use nvidia cards. Absolutely no reason why the iMacs don’t have Max Q 1050, 1050 TI, 1060,1070 and 1080 at that price for similar TDP with the much slower ATI 555, 560, 570,575 and 580 rubbish cards. The Mac mini should have a GT 1030 or Max Q 1050.