Mac Mini vs Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by pierre1610, Mar 7, 2019.

1. pierre1610 macrumors member

I’m in need of a new machine. I can’t wait any longer. I use Photoshop in a heavy way. Files are between 4GB and 20GB

I currently use the following
    2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.46GHz, 64GB ram, 1TB SSBUX SSD
    Or a
    2013 Mac Pro 6 core 3.5GHz, 64GB ram, 1TB ssd

There isn’t much in it between these machines.

I’m worndering if a 2018 Mac Mini i7 6 core 3.2GHz, 64GB ram 1TB ssd would be any better?

Photoshop doesn’t really make use of GPU but the internal graphics on the Mini seems to be pretty rubbish. Will it be good enough?

2. Expobill macrumors 65816

Expobill

my MINI never failed me photoshop wise (cs4) which is a 2012 pure 4gb 500 rpm and I just upgraded to Mojave yesterday with some spinning ball, but the more i use this mini, the better processing the mini does.
    some of my PSD files are not as large as yours, but i have thousand of files.
    i hope this helps!

3. F-Train macrumors 65816

As you say, Photoshop makes quite limited use of graphics cards. However, if I was working with 20GB files, I'd want to talk with someone who has a fair bit of experience with Photoshop files that large.

4. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I would recommend you investigate alternative platforms. It's simply disgraceful Apple doesn't offer anything between the Mini and the Mac Pro (which itself is a joke given it hasn't seen an update in over five years).

5. pierre1610 thread starter macrumors member

The main machine i used is 10 yrs old! Only other option is windows and thatsnot a great alternative.

6. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Why is Windows not a great alternative?

7. twalk macrumors regular

These coffee lake 8th gen Intel parts really are very good. Just the i5 2018 Mac Mini alone will run about the same processor performance as your 2013 Xeon based Mac Pro (and a tad faster than the highest speed non-pro iMac). In addition, the ssd speed is also better. That said, the video is something like 1/4th the speed of just a single Mac Pro card. No ECC either on the Mini. Otherwise they actually match up pretty well

I'd buy from some place with a return policy and then hit it hard for like a week...

8. MarkC426 macrumors 6502

Because it’s microsoft........;)

9. pl1984 macrumors 68020

That's a stupid reason.

10. pierre1610 thread starter macrumors member

We have several PCs and they run Photoshop slower than a 10 year old Mac Pro. Must be windows

11. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Then don't use 15 year old PCs.

12. shaunp macrumors 68000

Grow up. Windows 10 is a very stable and capable platform. It might not be to your taste, but it does work.

In response to the original question, I moved from a 6-core MP to a Windows machine around 3 years go, partly because of performance but mostly because of the dead-end which Macs have become - only 16GB RAM on the MBP (at the time) and no upgrade from the MP. Bought a very good PC (6-core i7, 128GB RAM) from the proceeds of the MP which has been great for Lightroom, PS and Premier. It also makes for a good VM lab too.

Yes things like messages are missing from Windows, but in hindsight I get more done because I'm not constantly getting messages on my PC. And once I'm in LR and PS they function the same as they would on a Mac, only faster.

13. MarkC426 macrumors 6502

Fair enough......but that’s your opinion.
    Personally Windows will never go near my mac (otherwise I would have just bought a PC).

14. Expobill macrumors 65816

Expobill

 makes great computers for photoshop, just select the  that suits your needs and budget!

15. pl1984 macrumors 68020

It's a fact born out of the countless hundreds of millions of people who use it productively everyday.
    Is anyone attempting to convince you to do so?

16. Duncan68 macrumors member

Duncan68

Really, do you exist on a Mac forum just to get people to switch from Mac to Windows? It's kind of lame...

17. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I don't. Whatever gave you that impression?

18. Duncan68 macrumors member

Duncan68

Your recent posts.

19. tpivette89, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019

tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Anyway....

I have also been thinking of this matchup. I have a 2009 Mac Pro (single CPU) but want something a little newer and better performing that will still have future Mac OS updates (I believe either Mojave or 10.15 will be the last for the 4,1/5,1). I bought a 2018 Mac mini (i5), but am now considering a 2013 Mac Pro as an alternative. Since both are in the same price range now (new Mini vs used Pro), it seems to be a good comparison.

Of course, the Mac Pro is the more upgradeable machine (who would have thought that anyone would be saying that). But the Mini has TB3 which makes the GPU more upgradeable (vs TB2 on the Pro for eGPU expansion).

Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and just purchase a used 6,1 to compare the two in multiple tasks.

Also, there's this thread on the subject: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-mac-mini-vs-old-mac-pro.2155858/

20. pierre1610 thread starter macrumors member

I have a 2013 as stated. It’s pretty good for my needs. I am worried about buying another as I had the dreaded gpu issue which makes the machine pretty useless. Took 6 months of going to Apple stores and lots of money to get a new one off them. Not had the problem since but a second hand one has the risk of being a dud.

21. pl1984 macrumors 68020

What about them led you to that conclusion? Especially since the post you responded to made no mention of switching to Windows. In fact it even asked the person I was responding to if anyone was attempting to switch him to Windows because I had seen no attempt for anyone, let alone me, to do so.

22. Duncan68 macrumors member

Duncan68

I see you defending and recommending Microsoft/Windows on this, which is a Mac forum. It's quite curious. That's the last thing I'll say about it. Have a good day.

23. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I am correcting misinformation. If people would stop making incorrect statements about it then there would be no need for me to correct their misinformation. As for advocating Windows I have done so but, relatively speaking, a small amount and where it makes sense.

24. shaunp macrumors 68000

No, its a fact. It's a stable platform used by a much, much bigger market share than Mac OS. And the way Apple are going with the Mac you'll be on a PC in the next 3-5 years anyway..... ;) I'm joking of course, be don't be so quick to dismiss it considering how badly the Mac platform is been managed right now.

25. Reality4711 macrumors 6502a

Reality4711

Just a little less on the "disgraceful" usage may attract less trolling Windows reaction from these site members.
    MacRumours is pretty much populated by Mac Users. Does seem a little provocative to tell them that their chosen platform is a disgrace - just a tad insulting to their reasoning powers etc..

Anyway; my business (when I needed to work) was pretty much saved by this platform at a time when others (n0 names) were, it seemed intent on destroying it.

Replacing complete systems every month or so because technicians/ engineers could not provide reasons for the overpowering cost of maintenance and loss of capability. Machines thrown out the 'window' was not a rare occurrence.

Buying one 12" mbp and having it work continuously for over four years without fault transformed my work life. These machines did that sort of thing many thousands of times over to get to this point.

Disgrace is a big insult to throw about looking at historical references.

I believe Windows 10 is a good and stable basis from which to work nowadays and would not in any way denigrate your choice.

So please don't denigrate mine. Write as you find but just with respect for the reader. Unless you don't give a *** or just love being a stirrer.

Regards

Sharkey