Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rigor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Didn't see this posted yet.. 10.2.3 is available from software update. It weighs in at 51.0MB. Heres the text from the read me box:

The 10.2.3 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, utilities, and technologies: AppleScript, Classic compatibility, Disk Copy, Disk Utility, Image Capture, Mail, OpenGL, Print Center, and Rendezvous. It provides audio, disc recording, graphics, printing improvements, as well as AFP and WebDAV networking improvements. The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.

For detailed information on this Update, please visit http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n107263

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
appears apple posted a link that doesn't actually go anywhere...try clicking that link

and now that i'm at home and not school...does anyone realize how long it will take to download that size of an update??? crikey it'll take more than all night

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Now that you have it installed, could I get a build number? I installed a build of 10.2.3, but it messed up compatibility with my mud client in Classic. Also, is it possible to run 10.2.3 without updating classic, or does it make you? I think it does...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mac OS 10.2.3 Released

In your software update...

The 10.2.3 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, utilities, and technologies: AppleScript, Classic compatibility, Disk Copy, Disk Utility, Image Capture, Mail, OpenGL, Print Center, and Rendezvous. It provides audio, disc recording, graphics, printing improvements, as well as AFP and WebDAV networking improvements. The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.

For detailed information on this Update, please visit http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n107263

Dephex Twin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
Link doesn't seem to work

I don't know what the deal is, but when I just tried the link to the knowledge base document, it wasn't found.

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Some wisdom: always wait about a week after the patch to update. So if there are any problems, you'll only be reading about it rather than flipping out dealing with it.

:)

rigor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2002
Build is 6G30.

It reset my extras.rsrc, returning the blasted stripes.

The knowledge base document will show up soon enough..

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Oh my God! How an earth am I going to get that download over a modem! No way to do it over the software update (max time online is 2 hours). Is there a download page as well?

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
all well

All works well :) 10.2.3 runs fine, even my wireless driver works great = )

im going to go mess around and see if i discover anything significant....no knowledgebase doc yet :(

anways, ill keep up

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
appears apple posted a link that doesn't actually go anywhere...try clicking that link

and now that i'm at home and not school...does anyone realize how long it will take to download that size of an update??? crikey it'll take more than all night

Yes, dialup is so much fun. That should be four hours with a 50,667 bps connection here in Floriduh. :D

hibitdatman

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Dorset, UK
If only these things were available on CD or even on Cover CD's with Mac magazines.

Thats gonna take days to download with my 2-hours 56k connection.

Shame the update does'nt offer a solution to the MDD PowerMac's amazing noise generation problem!

IC

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
FYI, the KBase doc is now up:

Digital Hub and Peripheral Device Enhancements

* Enhances support for Force Feedback-based USB devices.
* Disc burning speed selection is now retained between Finder CD burns.
* Certain files and folders specific to Mac OS file systems, such as a Temporary Items folder or Desktop Folder, are no longer copied to the disc when burning a CD.
* Addresses a situation in which Disk Copy may not proceed beyond the "Configuring Burn" stage when used with some external FireWire-based CD burners.
* Addresses a potential issue in which some computers do not mount in FireWire Target Disk Mode.
* Improves compatibility for iPhoto and Image Capture with Canon IXY DV, Optura200MC, Elura 40MC, zr50, and GL2.
* Adds disc burning support for some third-party burners, including: LaCie d2 CD-RW 48x12x48x FireWire, LaCie d2 CD-RW FireWire 52x24x52, and BUSLINK RW5252FM 52x24x52x

Networking, iChat and Modem Enhancements

* Addresses an issue in which the computer does not sleep if Personal File Sharing is on.
* Connect to Server may now connect to an FTP server when using the Japanese localized version of Mac OS X.
* Improves compatibility for USB-based CDC modems.
* Connections with iDisk volumes over a busy network or low-bandwidth connection are improved; for example, when attempting to use an iDisk while also playing a streamed Internet radio broadcast via iTunes over a dial-up modem connection (PPP).
* Improves results when selecting iChat message text.
* Improves spacing when using Option-Return in an iChat message.
* Improves results when transferring file names via iChat that begin with a ">" character.

Application Enhancements

* Improves compatibility for the HP Communications application.
* Provides a zero all data feature in Disk Utility, for supported hard disks.
* Improves iPhoto slide show function on some systems which use ATI Rage 128 graphics accelerator chips.
* Allows for improved results with applications that switch emulated address spaces, such as Connectix Virtual PC.
* Improves compatibility for OpenGL-based software on some computers that use ATI Rage 128 graphic accelerator chips; improves reliability for OpenGL-based software while Screen Saver effects are enabled on some computers that use ATI Rage 128 graphic accelerator chips.
* Addresses a situation in which some animated GIFs could cause Preview to unexpectedly quit.
* Allows for improved display of fonts via the Microsoft Word Font Toolbar.
* Improves compatibility with Netopia Timbuktu for TCP/IP connections.
* Improves compatibility for Image Capture when downloading large AVI files from some digital cameras.
* US English spellings are no longer interpreted as correctly spelled when using the built-in British English Dictionary.
* Improves compatibility for Mail when accessing accounts, such as AT&T Broadband, which require SSL v2 or v3 over SMTP.
* Addresses some situations in which the Mail application does not quit as expected.
* Addresses an issue in which Mail may become unresponsive when attaching certain kinds of JPEG files to a message.

Audio Enhancements

* Addresses a potential issue in which sound from some USB audio devices may "stutter" after waking from sleep.
* Addresses an issue in which iSub, when used with some third-party USB speakers, could produce static.
* Improves default reverb setting for applications which use QuickTime Musical Instruments.
* Addresses an issue in which audio recorded from a USB device with a sample rate of 48k or 96k may include distortion.
* Improves results when recording from a USB microphone with a sample rate of 11.025k or 22.050k.
* Addresses an issue in which a MIDI device may unexpectedly fail to be recognized, when several devices are connected.
* Refines MIDI device support by removing compatibility for MIDI devices that are connected via a serial port (which Apple has not shipped with machines for several years).

Printing and Print Center Enhancements

* Improves ability of Print Center to automatically find and add USB printers.
* Enhances default printer selection process after network printers have automatically been added.
* Printers configured with a Rendezvous name are now selectable from a Print dialog window.
* Improves notifications when a job cannot be printed due to a stopped print queue.

Other Enhancements

* Improves keyboard navigation behavior in Column view of Finder.
* Addresses an issue in which the computer could become unresponsive when configuring the Screen Effects preference pane.
* Addresses a situation in which the Dock may unexpectedly quit when attempting to display a hierarchical submenu while certain background tasks are in progress.
* Reduces instances on some computers in which keypresses are not detected by the "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" dialog box when some applications are running.
* Addresses a potential kernel panic situation when disconnecting a USB hub from a Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) computer.
* Adds a Canadian English language spell checking dictionary.
* Addresses an issue in which Keychain items could become unusable or not allow password changes after a series of different applications request modifications to the item.
* Addresses an issue in which some Power Macintosh G3 computers may be unable to start up in verbose mode with Mac OS X 10.2.1.
* Addresses a potential issue in which some applications may not quit as expected after a USB device is disconnected.
* Addresses a potential issue in which playing certain system alert sounds could cause the Login window to appear.
* Includes OpenGL 1.4 which contains improvements for all systems.

totally_fly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2002
[ neone have a vague idea of what some of the specific changes are?? ] edit: nvm i just saw the post above me

neways.. im not gonna update for a while.. actually im not gonna update till my mac crashes... (im in a competition with my friends who are certain their xp machines can stay on longer than my os x bot :) so i wont be getting this update for a while.. hehe)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by RogueLdr

Wasn't the MDD fan issue covered w/ a firmware update?:confused:

RL

Supposedly, but with my MDD it made no difference. 10.2.3 is fine.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by rigor
Build is 6G30.

It reset my extras.rsrc, returning the blasted stripes.

The knowledge base document will show up soon enough..

Thanks. I have 6G26.. hopefully this one will leave my splendifeous Classic mode unbastardized. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, I guess the question is .... is VPC 6 really faster under 10.2.3?

arn

SafariKC

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
It does feel a bit faster under 10.2.3 than it did in 10.2.2. The Video performance is smoother from what i can see.

KC

Originally posted by springscansing

Thanks. I have 6G26.. hopefully this one will leave my splendifeous Classic mode unbastardized. :)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Most importantly (to me)...

* Improves compatibility for the HP Communications application.

10.2.2 and HPCommuntications.app were water and oil. It was so bad that I had to roll-back to 10.2.1. I really hope they got everything fixed here - but I'm waiting to hear the "okay" from HP and/or other HP users.

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Is it just me or do the little red, orange and green jelly buttons look recessed or embedded in some of the Apple titanium Apps??? Look at Address Book, iSync, Back-up, iChat. Not sure why this would matter or if it is just my computer. Someone chime in if you have the same.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Another one, just for me! ;-)

# Addresses a potential kernel panic situation when disconnecting a USB hub from a Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) computer.

I've had this happen to me several time, but not just on hub removal. I had it happen by removing a CompactFlash reader (with no CF card).

Thank you Apple!

(And people say Apple doesn't care about us "legacy" machine owners.)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Where is the download on the Apple site? I want to keep the update on my machine + therefore dont want to use software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.