Mac OS X 10.4.2 This Week?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that retail Mac OS X boxes will start shipping with Mac OS X 10.4.2 sometime this month. Meanwhile, the Mac OS X update should be released this week:

Mac OS X 10.4.2, which is due for release from the company this week, will reportedly deliver over 80 fixes and enhancements to Tiger, in addition to those included with Mac OS X 10.4.1.
Fixes listed include graphics drivers, Finder updates, improved autologin as well as changes to various core applications including Address Book, Automator, Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, and Stickies.

Apple reportedly seeded Mac OS X 10.4.2 Build 8C29 this past weekend. There are "no known issues" with the update at the time of seeding.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I always love an update. Not really having any issues with Tiger so far though so it will be interesting to see if I really notice much.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Well now I have a choice. I just made images for our laptops at 4.1. Wonder what the fixes are, and will they be REALLY needed. I can re-image some, but I have 250 to finish in a few weeks.
Oh boy.

brentonbrenton

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2002
a pity tiger wasn't a little more finely checked before release; but good to see that apple is actively working to fix issues in a timely manner.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Good to hear that 80 bugs are being fixed. I have had a very poor experience with Tiger. 10.4.1 was worse that 10.4.0 for me. Five plus bugs really caused me problems and I reported at least 3 of the problems to Apple.

If you know of any other issues with Tiger and want to report them, just go to: http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have been running Tiger flawlessly on both my main computers at home since day one and have not had any problems at all.

But keep the bug fixes coming so they get fixed before I have a chance to find them :p .

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
God I hope they fix Safari. I really thought they'd catch it with 10.4.1, but nope. Still crashes as much as Microsoft Word used to in Panther.

And I hope it's one of those "overall performance upgrade" things, because Tiger is really slow on my dual 2ghz G5 with 3gigs of RAM. Dashboard takes about 15 seconds to load each time with only 5 widgets.

Fishes,
narco.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
It mentions finder changes in the description: would this mean they might fix some of the visual goofs, like some of the off-center graphics and such? Little things like the off center grey circle you get when you highlight a folder that has a color tag.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
wonder if it fixes the problem with Preview.app when i try to slideshow multiple images it only shows a black screen, on my 12" rev B Powerbook?

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
narco said:
God I hope they fix Safari. I really thought they'd catch it with 10.4.1, but nope. Still crashes as much as Microsoft Word used to in Panther.

And I hope it's one of those "overall performance upgrade" things, because Tiger is really slow on my dual 2ghz G5 with 3gigs of RAM. Dashboard takes about 15 seconds to load each time with only 5 widgets.

Fishes,
narco.
15 seconds!!!

on my ibook, it loads in like 5

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Also... Quicktime 7 playback is very slow on some movies. I use VLC for the ones that Quicktime has trouble with except VLC crashes every time when you go from full screen to windowed... and then press play again. Does anyone else have that problem? QT6.1 played any movie fine before.

Edit: Just installed VLC 0.8.2 Beta Test 2.... no more crashing problem :)

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
narco said:

Fishes,
narco.
It sounds to me like you have the "TrueBlueEnvironment" Denial Of Service problem. Try downloading "PTHCpu" monitor (http://www.pth.com/PTHCPUMonitor/) and once thats up and running look for a process with the name "TrueBlueEnvironment", then issue a "kill <insert process ID here without brackets>" in the terminal and you're good to go.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Speaking of QT, does anyone know if Tiger forces you to upgrade to Quicktime 7? Because I really don't want to pony up the money for QT Pro again....