Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natarix

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2005
tiger

hi can any one tell me if Tiger is going to be free to Mac OS X Panter users as an upgrade or do we have to Pay for it thanks

:rolleyes:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
natarix said:
hi can any one tell me if Tiger is going to be free to Mac OS X Panter users as an upgrade or do we have to Pay for it thanks

That depends on how recently you bought your Panther-equipped Mac, if you bought your Mac after Tiger comes out and Panther's installed but Tiger disks are dropped in the box, and of course whether you consider $19.95 "shipping and handling" to be "free." :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
natarix said:
hi can any one tell me if Tiger is going to be free to Mac OS X Panther users as an upgrade or do we have to Pay for it thanks

No, Just owning Panther doesn't get you a free upgrade. You will be in the same boat as everyone else, chances are the cost will be $129.00. Only if you purchase a Mac after the release of Tiger are you entitled to a free version. If the release is announce tomorrow, they will also announce the qualifying dates. As mentioned they will charge a $19.95 S&H fee.

This a getting very exciting, just like Christmas as a child. Think I will probably have trouble sleeping.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
wdlove said:
No, Just owning Panther doesn't get you a free upgrade. You will be in the same boat as everyone else, chances are the cost will be $129.00. Only if you purchase a Mac after the release of Tiger are you entitled to a free version. If the release is announce tomorrow, they will also announce the qualifying dates. As mentioned they will charge a $19.95 S&H fee.

This a getting very exciting, just like Christmas as a child. Think I will probably have trouble sleeping.
But what about the three (software upgrade?) coupons that came with my computer / in the Panther box? What are those good for? (Just kidding, I already know the answer).

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
daveL said:
I guess you didn't read the post in this thread yesterday on this subject:

10.3.0 came out on Oct. 24th, 2003
10.3.1 came out on Nov. 7th, 2003
10.3.2 came out on Dec. 8th, 2003
Yeah - I guess I missed that post - I was sort of skimming. But, I was hoping someone might remember what the deal was with jaguar as well.
nagromme said:
They won't actually put 10.4.1 on the CD anyway--buy now or buy later, you'll get the same CD--and then you'll download the 10.4.1 update. Buying early and not installing until 10.4.1 doesn't hurt anything, if you have the cash now.
That's true, but it's one of those compromise things. Before, she was questioning whether or not I actually needed it, and I couldn't come up with a good reason for "need" over "want." It's kind of like how I'm waiting until after the wedding (May 28) to get some RAM that I've been wanting to get.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rod Rod said:
But what about the three (software upgrade?) coupons that came with my computer / in the Panther box? What are those good for? (Just kidding, I already know the answer).

It is a very good question. It doesn't make mush sense to even print those coupons when they aren't even used. One can always dream.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's unfortunate they only supply Tiger to specific machines when you buy new. It can't be transfered if you sell or downgrade your computer. Makes you wonder if they bundle it in free, but everything has a cost associated to it.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Lacero said:
It's unfortunate they only supply Tiger to specific machines when you buy new. It can't be transfered if you sell or downgrade your computer. Makes you wonder if they bundle it in free, but everything has a cost associated to it.
What do you mean by that? I have purchased many Apple computers since 1978. Every one of then shipped with the current OS that it was capable of running.

Since all the current Macs are capable of running Tiger, I expect that each will ship with Tiger when it is available.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
We can always hope that with the delay in the announcement, will bring good news. Hopefully it will allow for Tiger to ship sooner new Macs after the official announcement.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
dicklacara said:
What do you mean by that? I have purchased many Apple computers since 1978. Every one of then shipped with the current OS that it was capable of running.

Since all the current Macs are capable of running Tiger, I expect that each will ship with Tiger when it is available.

Since even G3's can run Tiger there should be no doubt that you are correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.