Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I hope it fixes these few things:
  • Time Machine all the sudden started to take up 80% of the CPU when doing its hourly backup and take several minutes to backup 2MB. No idea why this happened, as the first few weeks of Leopard this never occurred. Nothing in my setup has changed, heck the external HD is plugged into the same USB 2.0 Hub which is plugged into the same port on the Macbook (changing ports did not fix it either). The Macbook sees it as a USB 2.0 HD too.

Other then this, I am very pleased with Leopard.
I'd attribute this to Spotlight indexing and Finder.

smadder

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
better SR drivers

i have no major problems with 10.5 what was wrong with 10.4.10 why you all want .11 so badly somebody fill me in :confused:

I wanted to keep Tiger and wait for Leopard to get an update before switching, but my 10.4.10 Tiger install on my SR MB is glitchier (great grammer here) than 10.5. I was hoping 10.4.11 would help.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Good cuz I'm tired of the crashing!

I hope Abode follows with an update for CS3. I seem to have much more crashing and WAY slower that with 10.4. So not feeling the love for Apple.

Time Machine is useless when you already have 650mb of used space... takes days to do the initial backup and then never seems to actually be able to finish. I finally just turned it off after 3 tries.

Vista, anyone??

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
  • When you select a file name in the Finder, the extension remains unselected - so I then have to reselect all the text.

I think that's one of those "That's not a bug, that's a feature!" kind of things. Probably so if you accidently named a document wrong, you don't accidently change the extension.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey
jeah... but...

Bug fixes aren't something to get excited about?

give me airdisk backup!!! NOW! please? :(

i agree that stack icons need to be set as opposed to dynamic, as an option, somewhere in finder prefs.

my other gripe is airport extreme bugs... gosh, not leopard related i know, but leopard should improve on it shouldnt it have? well i'm patient with Apple, they'll deliver, right now things are so busy and crazy all over the company that its actually quite amazing that they're even delivering as they have!

:)

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Need to add View As Folder

(Stacks are) a pretty solution for something that already was in Tiger.
I like stacks but I absolutely want to be able to click a folder in the dock and have it open a folder window! To fix this, they simply need to add to the View As menu item. In addition to Fan and Grid, they need Folder. When set to View As Folder, the icon in the dock should remain a folder, it should open a folder window when clicked, and a hierarchical menu when pressed - like in Tiger. Easy and clean.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I think that's one of those "That's not a bug, that's a feature!" kind of things. Probably so if you accidently named a document wrong, you don't accidently change the extension.

I actually like it. You can disable it somewhere in Finder.
What I miss is the ability to drag a file to a different volume, then trash or move the original while it's copying. Worked fine in Tiger, doesn't work in Leopard :(
I can imagine they did this so that Time Machine will pick up those events properly, it's still annoying for me though.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Its a pretty solution for something that already was in Tiger. What is wrong with it? It would probably be easier to mention what ISN'T wrong. First off the displayed stack MOVES when you have the Genie effect on. So take your mouse off the dock and your target moves. Its worse on Fan view then grid so I don't use Fan for ANYTHING. Nice design Apple. Second the icon in the dock is ever changing. This is beyond retarded and speaks to the notion that this was Jobs's baby and NO ONE would dare tell him its a flawed idea. I mean really. What the heck use is an icon as a representation of a folder if it continually changes? Third "view as" should have a open in finder so people who want the "normal" view can get it. Fourth. The view is SLOW as hell to show the contents of the icon. I have my docs folder in the dock and it takes a good 3 seconds to change the icons to preview icons granted I have about 50 files in that folder but still. Once you do it once its fine but it looks unprofessional to watch your icons render because Apple did a crap job on Stacks. There are probably more. I can't think of them off the top of my head.

For me, I don't don't really mind stacks. Only thing I'd change is at least to have the option to use folders in the dock the same way I did in Tiger.

As for the picture always changing, I think it's supposed to show the most recently downloaded/saved item in there or something. But I think you're onto something w/ the Steve Jobs' baby thing. He's such a control freak and wants everything done his way. I love Macs, but his Steveness is driving me nuts.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Nothing to fix on the firewall but terms

Nothing is wrong with the firewall, guys who read FUD :)

Seriously. Its an Application Firewall, not a port/network firewall. Its purpose is to allow or disallow applications from accessing the internet to protect you from malicious servers/apps. It is separate from what you think of as a firewall - ipfw. ipfw still exists in Leopard and works well. What you think of as a firewall is ipfw and works great.

What Apple does need to do is change the terminology of the App Firewall so that its better understood (instead of just being in a KB article) AND add basic IPFW configurability for advanced users.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Its a pretty solution for something that already was in Tiger. What is wrong with it? It would probably be easier to mention what ISN'T wrong. First off the displayed stack MOVES when you have the Genie effect on. So take your mouse off the dock and your target moves. Its worse on Fan view then grid so I don't use Fan for ANYTHING. Nice design Apple. Second the icon in the dock is ever changing. This is beyond retarded and speaks to the notion that this was Jobs's baby and NO ONE would dare tell him its a flawed idea. I mean really. What the heck use is an icon as a representation of a folder if it continually changes? Third "view as" should have a open in finder so people who want the "normal" view can get it. Fourth. The view is SLOW as hell to show the contents of the icon. I have my docs folder in the dock and it takes a good 3 seconds to change the icons to preview icons granted I have about 50 files in that folder but still. Once you do it once its fine but it looks unprofessional to watch your icons render because Apple did a crap job on Stacks. There are probably more. I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Quoted for truth, this is the best description I've heard as to why Stacks Suck (and they do), I suspect the people who like them never used folders in the Dock in Tiger.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
And of course the biggie, that you can no longer heirarchically navigate folders sitting in the dock.

My biggest problem, as you mention, is the ever-changing icon. As I mentioned a while ago in another thread, I have several folders docked, and use each of them for various media files while I work, plus the downloads folder and my documents folder.

As I work, download required files, shift stuff between my media folder and documents folder, the icons are not only changing each time but often end up as the same thing (ie, a Quicktime movie icon, an AC3 audio file icon). Within a few minutes I'm totally lost.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Wah, wah, wah! :(

I am getting so tired of hearing this stuff about stacks. They are missing the ability to customise the icon on the top and the ability to navigate the stack. Big deal. It's already been implied that the functionality will likely be added back soon as well as the ability to use "smart stacks."

For cripes sake it's a brand new feature in a 1.0 version of the new dock in the new operating system. Give them more than a week or so after launch to get things right before you start putting Steve Jobs' head on a pike maybe?

Personally, I was hyper-critical of a lot of Leopard stuff, but since I installed it at home last week I like it a little bit more with each passing day. The new dock enhancements like the stacks have actually improved my productivity as they might for you "anti-stack-ites" if you just relax a little and try to use it.

Tiger is already starting to look crummy, and feel "clunky" to me. Can't wait until it's gone forever! :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I hope Abode follows with an update for CS3. I seem to have much more crashing and WAY slower that with 10.4. So not feeling the love for Apple.

Time Machine is useless when you already have 650mb of used space... takes days to do the initial backup and then never seems to actually be able to finish. I finally just turned it off after 3 tries.

Vista, anyone??

Disable spotlight indexing on all drives during your initial backup. It worked for me, I was having the same problem on my initial time machine backup

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I like stacks but I absolutely want to be able to click a folder in the dock and have it open a folder window! To fix this, they simply need to add to the View As menu item. In addition to Fan and Grid, they need Folder. When set to View As Folder, the icon in the dock should remain a folder, it should open a folder window when clicked, and a hierarchical menu when pressed - like in Tiger. Easy and clean.

Word. Stacks are alright for Safari Downloads but very annoying for anything else. Even in Grid view, my applications stack (the one with the Address Book icon on top...) says "10 m...inder" which is supposed to mean "10 more in Finder". I want Tiger's behaviors back. It sccaled smoothly too. Leopard's design is alright, I like the dark non-reflective version.

Oh, and does anyone else feel spotlight is unusable in Leopard? It doesn't really find stuff it used to find and when I click "Show All" I get a cluttered up Finder window with different sorting. I'd love to be able to have icon view and sort it by kind, but oh, no view options for that! Why!? Also, in icon view I have to scale all the way up to get even the sortest filename shown without the "...". In cover flow... well that's pretty but not useful at all if your search returned 1000 items and most of them don't have quick look plugins which is good, because if they had previews, it would take ages to load them all. Please bring the old spotlight window back. Finder searching was already there in Tiger (although with less fine searching)!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wah, wah, wah! :(
Big deal. It's already been implied that the functionality will likely be added back soon as well as the ability to use "smart stacks."

For cripes sake it's a brand new feature in a 1.0 version of the new dock in the new operating system. Give them more than a week or so after launch to get things right before you start putting Steve Jobs' head on a pike maybe?

Stacks are set to "auto" where it picks either 'fan' or 'grid' based on how many files are in it. When you right-click the stack you can force it to always pick 'fan' or 'grid' based on what you want.

Would it have been SO HARD for them to add 'folder view' as an option there? So in default you only get fan or grid, but by right clicking you have the OPTION to pick the old, Tiger method for those who still want it?

So yes, Stacks deserves all the criticism it's getting. Personally, I like it and use it a lot. But they really should have left folder view as an OPTION for people who like to use it that way. People aren't so much complaining about future features not being there, they're complaining because they TOOK AWAY the way folders on the Dock used to work! It should have been left as an option. (An option that "auto" ignores so stacks still works like advertised for 99.9% of users.)

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Time Machine

WHY does everyone keep saying Time Machine has some kind of "bug" or "problem" with sucking up all the space on the hard drive assigned to it??

That's exactly how it's SUPPOSED to work! That's why you dedicate a drive to it in the first place! It's not like Time Machine quits working when the drive gets full. It simply uses all space available to it, and then starts rolling off the oldest stuff, constantly replacing it with backups of all the latest changes. The bigger the drive, the further back you can go in time to recover stuff - but you basically WANT to see it filling the drive up. That means it's working as designed.

Hopefully it fixes the problem with waking up, eliminates the problem with Airport scanning after waking up which causes the choppy mouse movement and the only thing to repair it is to restart, patches the bug with mosaic wallpaper which shows white center image or even cannot be launch (sometimes), improves the firewall, fixes the choppiness of genie effect, adds functionality back to Time machine, reduces the "greediness" of Time Machine in sucking all spaces available in our HD, brings back hierarchy function in stack, doesn't let the dock minimize when Stack is opened, lets the each folder remembers their "View" mode, doesn't make the icon grows to gargantuan size when we resize the folder, and improves the overall performance...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
[*]When you select a file name in the Finder, the extension remains unselected - so I then have to reselect all the text.

This was discussed in a previous thread. People were overwhelmingly positive about it. If most people consider it an improvement, it's hardly a bug. I'm glad they finally did that and I don't think there's any chance they'll change that back.

give me airdisk backup!!! NOW! please? :(

Sounds like it will take an airport firmware update.

I like stacks but I absolutely want to be able to click a folder in the dock and have it open a folder window!

You can do this already, just command click the stack icon.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
did I see that some people are still on Panther?????? c'mon, give me a break, you're obviously not utilizing your Mac for anything worth while. You'll be lucky to even install Leopard on a Panther machine.

I am running Leopard on a Digital Audio G4 533 with 768mb ram, and actually it runs very good despite what people might think. its defiantly more then usable

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
It would sure be nice to use Google Earth again, although I doubt this update will fix that.

Maybe iChat will stop crashing.

Or Mail...

I dont know why, but I dont have half the problems you guys have... iChat has never crashed on me in Leo - I use it every day. Multiple chats (in multiple spaces), video, screen sharing on local network, screen sharing across internet, etc. Safari hasnt crashed either.

And Google Earth works just fine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    998.1 KB · Views: 160

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I dont know why, but I dont have half the problems you guys have... iChat has never crashed on me in Leo - I use it every day. Multiple chats (in multiple spaces), video, screen sharing on local network, screen sharing across internet, etc. Safari hasnt crashed either.

And Google Earth works just fine.

:) I haven't been able to get a video chat going with iChat for a year. Irt always says "connection error" and insists the chat partner timed out. Same goes for screen sharing and audio only. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.