Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Questions???

Well, since this is a Leopard thread can we ask some Leopard questions??? I would ask them in the latest build threads but all they like to do is post screen caps of system prefs and talk about cat names :mad:

What is the transition into FrontRow like now??? Is there one? Is it like the current disappearing desktop now?

Does iChat still have screen sharing??? I know it is in Finder, I want to know if it is still in iChat as well because the last screen shots I saw still had the button for it.

Could the Aqua scroll bars and buttons/sliders etc. still be replaced??? Does that take a while or is it pretty easily done? I will be really surprised if Apple leaves them in because as much as i LOVE Aqua, they really don't fit anymore with the other UI changes :(

DISCUSS PLEASE :D
:apple:

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Just because it isn't in the known issues list doesn't mean potentially big and frustrating issues don't exist.
If issues are unknown at this point, they won't be known until after the release. So they won't delay a release. However, anyone expecting a early release will be disappointed, because there is about a 1 month delay between GM and release.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't already gone gold. Any remaining issues can be fixed in the first update on the day it ships like with Tiger.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I'm curious if iTunes still uses different scrollbars than every other application. It was always bizarre to me when they changed them in the first place... and I've been wondering when they'll fix it.

M

Mr.damien

I also think this would be genius, instead of every random app telling you when it pleases so.

Yeah, a genious idea .... I am waiting just 2 weeks before this thing get hacked a propose you to update your software on some hacker sites with rootkits, keyloggers and so on ...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Could give 2 ***** about some HP printer drivers....

The point of this story is that the "borked HP drivers" weren't actually about HP drivers, they were about third party integration into Software Update. It could have been Canon drivers, or some random third party utility they had thrown into the latest Leopard release just to test this functionality. That 'brokenness' had nothing to do with HP at all. It had to do with Software Update. Picking the HP drivers was probably because printer drivers are one of the few true 'third party' things included with the OS itself. (Not counting things like open-source software included in the core OS, like CUPS, Apache, or GIMP-print.)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
What exactly is the rush to get Leopard, aside from the novelty of it?

Tiger is an outstanding OS, and is hardly riddled with bugs. It's far and away better than XP, and it's not like it's been six years since the last update. A year from now, Leopard will be on our systems, and a few months won't make any real difference.

Delicious-Apple

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006

Tiger is an outstanding OS, and is hardly riddled with bugs. It's far and away better than XP, and it's not like it's been six years since the last update. A year from now, Leopard will be on our systems, and a few months won't make any real difference.

True indeed... but you get a rush of Innovation from the 3rd parties when you have great new developer features such as Core Animation. The Delicious-Gen Developers are going to have some really great apps and I cannot wait to empty my pockets for them.

Delicious-Library 2 should/will probably kick it all off. :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000

While I do agree that it seems early in terms of Tiger's life span, Tiger still has major problems. One being the Finder. I'd consider it one of the worst apps built-in to Mac OS X. Leopard improves on this, significantly.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't already gone gold. Any remaining issues can be fixed in the first update on the day it ships like with Tiger.

Tiger wasn't updated on the first day, it was about 17 days before the first update according to wiki

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
While I do agree that it seems early in terms of Tiger's life span, Tiger still has major problems. One being the Finder. I'd consider it one of the worst apps built-in to Mac OS X. Leopard improves on this, significantly.
Oh, I sure hope so. It annoys the hell out of me when icons flat out refuse to snap to the spot I want them or shift every other icon down or to the side.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Booo!

A simple fade to black and FrontRow appears.

Awwww BOOOOO :( One of the coolest things with Front Row was the transition. I know it sounds dumb, but it is a really good WOW factor when other people see your Mac. They should have kept it the same, just have the icons on the left spin in on the left side, and the menu bars on the right fade in at the same time. That would be much cooler!!!

Or have it like Time Machine but have the desktop wipe from bottum to top (instead of top top bottum) to reveal Front Row behind as the icons spin in on the left and the menu bars fade in on the right.

It's the cool little things like that that makes Apple's stuff so fun and exciting. A dull fade is disappointing, especially with the potential of Core Animation :(

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
By the way, there are certain apps that I definitely need to make sure works on Leopard before I can upgrade. Is there gonna be a reliable wiki page of some sort that list compatible apps?

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
I like that, if I can control what updates to check for.

Needless to say, I do NOT want every update form every printer, mouse and other gadgets manufacturer to pop up every day.

However, I want to be able to get updates to my Canon printer and Logitech mouse etc, if I actively choose it.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
By the way, there are certain apps that I definitely need to make sure works on Leopard before I can upgrade. Is there gonna be a reliable wiki page of some sort that list compatible apps?

If its only a handful of apps it's probably easiest to look at their individual websites and wait for them to say 10.5.x compatible.

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
"Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found."

Sorry no deal!! I Expected this and Quartz 2D Extreme in Tiger, it never materialized either. Sorry no Money for u Apple hahaaha

Still waiting for Quartz 2D Extreme/Resolution Independence maybe another 2 years?

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005

I'm waiting on time machine, myself. Right now I do manual backups to my external HD when I think about it. Which isn't frequently enough. Instead of buying a 3rd party backup app, it makes much more sense to go ahead and upgrade and get a nice, well integrated backup utility.

Plus, I'm a Java developer, and I've been using the stale beta of Java 6 for a long time now. Java 6 went gold long ago on other platforms. Many Java guys are starting to feel like Apple has forgotten about us. But, I guess a lot of people feel that way right about now. The iPhone really stole the show this year. Anyway, Apple hasn't really commented on the state of their Java 6 implementation but almost everyone thinks it will ship with Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.