Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.2, termed Build 10C540, to developers. The release comes one week after the release of the previous build.

As with the previous two developer seeds, Apple lists no known issues in the new build. Approximately a half dozen areas of change since the previous seed are documented, including fixes for issues related to AirPort on Apple's latest iMac models and VMware, as well as graphics-related issues affecting certain graphics cards and the Apple TV.

Mac OS X 10.6.2 reportedly addresses a serious bug involving Guest accounts that has resulted in some users losing all data from their regular user accounts. It also appears to bring full native support for Apple's new multi-touch Magic Mouse, allowing future purchasers of the mouse once the update is released to the public to skip the step of installing a separate software update to enable full Magic Mouse functionality.

Developer seeds of Mac OS X 10.6.2 have received significant attention this week after it was revealed that Apple had apparently disabled support for Intel's Atom processors that are power many netbooks modified by users to run OS X in a build released two weeks ago. Last week's released build, however, appears to have restored Atom compatibility, although the reasons behind the changes remain unknown.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.2 Build 10C540 Seeded to Developers

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Great!! Looks like I won't be upgrading to snowy for a further year! I'm still using rock stable Leopard, apparently that's a good thing judging from the number of early adopters; well I hope this release is a massive improvement for the rest of you guys.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
fingers crossed that the vmware and usb mentions refer to the fact that usb audio devices are full of static in any virtualisation environment under 10.6

bring it home baby.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
My fingers are crossed that there will be a fix for Duel Adaptors.
(Worked perfectly in 10.5, and Apple was even the one to provide the drivers)

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
As with the previous two developer seeds, Apple lists no known issues in the new build. Approximately a half dozen areas of change since the previous seed are documented, including fixes for issues related to AirPort on Apple's latest iMac models and VMware, as well as graphics-related issues affecting certain graphics cards and the Apple TV.

Anyone know how an update to 10.6 that runs on a host computer could solve graphic-related issues on an AppleTV?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
As with the previous two developer seeds, Apple lists no known issues in the new build.
Ok, so how do developers who get these seeds know what to look for then?

I actually don't understand the whole seeding process but that's no surprise.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
It looks like 10.6.2 might be everything Snow Leopard should have been on day one.

Everything should ideally be perfect from day one; but the way the world works is that they aren't. The next best thing is to speedily fix issues as they come up.

also you get to appreciate the frequent bug fixes compared to windows. When Microsoft does an update, they're extremely vague as to what problem the update fixes and they force the update on you rather than you choosing to accept the update.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
also you get to appreciate the frequent bug fixes compared to windows. When Microsoft does an update, they're extremely vague as to what problem the update fixes and they force the update on you rather than you choosing to accept the update.
Apple is rather vague about their updates as well. You're going to have to dig through the knowledge base links for specific details regardless of the provider. The average consumer in the software updater is going to see a gross oversimplification.

Better late than Windo.. er.. never.
I hate to say this but the Windows 7 Beta worked, so did the RC, and the RTM does as well.

Regretfully I can't say the same for Snow Leopard. Leopard is still great and I prefer it over 7 and Snow Leopard. It was annoying to be without printer drivers for over a week in Snow Leopard too.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2009
Can't wait. Hope this makes SL rock stable, just eliminating the few issues I've had (app crashing, blue box in expose.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.