Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
With Blu-ray and HD-DVD support seemingly built into the DVD Player in Leopard, when do you guys think we'll see readers and/or burners in the pro line (more specifically, the laptops). I just read somewhere that Dell (boooooo) has already incorporated Blu-ray burners into their high-end laptop line. So I would guess the next rev of MBP would have them too... What do you think?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I wonder if iLife '07 will be Leopard only?

I'd guess it would be 10.5 and backward compatible with 10.4.9.

But that's a guess, as with everything in life, only smarties have the answer.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I think I'm buying my 20" iMac next week, updated specs and OS or not. I am feeling uneasy about it, but I have been waiting for a few months and my friend is buying my mini and also getting tired of waiting. I'd rather buy within the window before the new OS comes out but you get a free upgrade (preferably to iLife as well) so I can still use Tiger until Leopard has proven itself to be stable. But they probably don't base their plans around me. Yet.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Well I sure hope this is due to OS X and not the Intel procs, Windows isn't exactly having a good time multi-tasking either.

Wow, this is the first I've heard such comments -- could you elaborate on what feels sluggish on Intel Macs that doesn't on PowerPC?

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Any thoughts on when an updated Mac Mini might show up?

I've been waiting to get a Duo Core 2 Mac Mini with 802.11n running Leopard. Hope they show up reasonably soon. June seems like a long way away.
A Mac Mini upgrade to 802.11n pretty much has to happen when AppleTV ships. I'm expecting an end of February Apple Event.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Unless some amazing new feature is going to be announced for Leopard then I think i'll be sticking with what I have...there doesn't seem to be that many new features that I'd use.

Mind you, if it does run faster on Intel hardware than the current OS X , then I might find myself getting a copy with my educational discount:rolleyes:

do you think the edu price for the single user will be $69 like how tiger is now? Cuz if so, theres no way im letting that pass me by at that price without buying it.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
With Blu-ray and HD-DVD support seemingly built into the DVD Player in Leopard, when do you guys think we'll see readers and/or burners in the pro line (more specifically, the laptops). I just read somewhere that Dell (boooooo) has already incorporated Blu-ray burners into their high-end laptop line. So I would guess the next rev of MBP would have them too... What do you think?

I agree. I want to get Blu-Ray on a new desktop for me, and potentially a new laptop.

But considering i bought my C2D MBP in the spring, my priority is the desktop.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Wow, this is the first I've heard such comments -- could you elaborate on what feels sluggish on Intel Macs that doesn't on PowerPC?

There are several people that OS X feels sluggish to since the switch to Intel.
Frequent beachballing on high RAM machines among other things.

I don't remember having those problems on my G4 1.33GHz with Tiger.

Either the Intel version of OS X is programmed really badly or it is something with the Intel procs. I am hoping for OS X but we will see I guess.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
The Mac OS X kernel hasn't been updated and fully optimized for Intel procs; if it were, it'd be blazingly fast, I'm sure, but my guess is that there are problems with supporting two different kernels (one PPC optimized, the other optimized for Intel).

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
I have been thinking.. Could it be possible that iLife will be included with Leopard? Honestly, having beta tested Vista since Jan '06 for MS, I can say it's utterly rubbish. However, it does finaly include many of the functionatly of iLife if you buy the normal Vista. For example, if you read http://www.xvsxp.com and see OS X really does suck in iLife realted things, without iLife installed.. It's ok, but I could never imagine using a mac without iLife.. They should bundle it with Leopard and then sell everyone '08, '09, etc till they have a new OS. Then bundle it again.. :)

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I just hope that Leopard is noticeably faster on the Intel Macs. 10.4's Intel version feels like a hack :)

It's not that the intel version is a hack. It's that the intel architecture is a lash-up. A fast lash-up, I'll grant you, but it's still a lash-up compared to PPC.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
You can file this one right along side the Apple superbowl commercial, the Valentine's day Beatles iTunes launch, the so-called February event (or was it January, I can't remember off hand) as another in the recent spate of totally bogus rumors.

Leopard no earlier than end of April.

Yeah, wasn't the "February event" supposed to be today?

Leopard and the widescreen iPod are looming like a pair of giant sumo wrestlers. I wonder now which one will show up first?

Gee4orce

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
It's not that the intel version is a hack. It's that the intel architecture is a lash-up. A fast lash-up, I'll grant you, but it's still a lash-up compared to PPC.

I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Maybe you're running too much stuff in Rosetta ?

My Intel mini runs faster than my old G5 !

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Or 10.8 Liger :D

Well said.

liger.jpg

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The Mac OS X kernel hasn't been updated and fully optimized for Intel procs; if it were, it'd be blazingly fast, I'm sure, but my guess is that there are problems with supporting two different kernels (one PPC optimized, the other optimized for Intel).

I guess we will find out when Leopard is released.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Bah, leopard. I'm holding out for 10.6 Lion.

There won't be a 10.6, OS XI will be next.

Anyone remember Steve announcing Tiger? I'm sure he said something like "This is Tiger and there'll be one more version after this" only not in as many words. It's infuriating that I can't remember his exact words. I think his RDF was up to max that day!

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
I have been thinking.. Could it be possible that iLife will be included with Leopard? Honestly, having beta tested Vista since Jan '06 for MS, I can say it's utterly rubbish. However, it does finaly include many of the functionatly of iLife if you buy the normal Vista. For example, if you read http://www.xvsxp.com and see OS X really does suck in iLife realted things, without iLife installed.. It's ok, but I could never imagine using a mac without iLife.. They should bundle it with Leopard and then sell everyone '08, '09, etc till they have a new OS. Then bundle it again.. :)

I've been using Macs for two years (three at work) and, aside from the once-in-a-blue-moon use of iPhoto (which I've largely superceded with Photoshop anyway), I've never had a use for any of the iLife apps that came bundled with my mini. Really, how essential are they? As far as I can see they're all for amateurs self-producing media, and most people just don't do that.

Anyway, Macs come with iLife bundled, so all 'switchers' will be exposed to iLife as if it had been included with OS X. Only the longer-term Mac users wanting an upgrade will have to pay extra, and if they want those kinds of features they'd certainly do that rather than switch to Vista :rolleyes: . Smart strategy, really; I can't see why they'd change it.

puuukeey

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2004
tristate area
homer18.gif

mmmmm secret features....

IMO, barring some extremely new stuff, 10.5 is still kind of a let down. I'm ready for a revisited macbook with a *multitouch screen* and direct integration into the os. Hows that for "Wow."

-matt

/they wouldn't know wow from bleh.
//slashies

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
There will be no Leopard until Apple ramps up the developer seeds. As of now, Leopard still looks like a June release.

balance0211

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2007
Got an email from system administrator at my company

The email says that Apple will announce Leopard by the end of March. And we have the opportunity to pool a large amount Leopard copies to get discount before March 2Xth. SINCE WE HAVE TO LET APPLE KNOW BEFORE THE LEOPARD ANNOUNCEMENT TO GET DISCOUNT, the release of Leopard at the end of March is very reliable.

Though unconfirmed, Financialwire.net claims that Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will be shipping by the end of March "according to sources."

This date corresponds to an earlier report from ThinkSecret that Leopard development was "wrapping up faster than many at Apple even anticipated". Based on this earlier report, the new versions of iLife '07 and iWork '07 are expected alongside Leopard.

Even after many false rumors about potential Apple media events, buzz continues about the possibility of a future Apple release event.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
You know, you're right IMO. I thought it was just me. Can't
wait for Leopard though.

I second that... I like Tiger but it feels faster (and snappier) on my PPC... Plus, I'm having some minor glitchs on my Intel that I didn't had on my PPC (computer doesn't always go into sleep mode by itself. When it does, it takes time for the computer to wake up, etc.)

LDK

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2007
Leopard offers

If you buy a Macbook today with Tiger installed, will Apple offer you a free upgrade to Leopard when it ships (assuming it ships end of March)? Usually, they allow some sort of window so you don't buy a computer that has an obsolete OS three weeks later.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If you buy a Macbook today with Tiger installed, will Apple offer you a free upgrade to Leopard when it ships (assuming it ships end of March)? Usually, they allow some sort of window so you don't buy a computer that has an obsolete OS three weeks later.
Apple does indeed offer such a program, but the window is usually 15 days, not 3 weeks, and doesn't start until an official release date is announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.