Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac OS X Leopard, iLife, and iWork Coming in June 2007?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

ThinkSecret reports that Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will ship in June 2007. This would bring it just within Apple's official "Spring 2007" release date.

The rumor site hints that Leopard will indeed include some surprises, but no details are available:

"Leopard is shaping up to be a more significant release than anyone expected, with much more to come than any of the developer builds have led on," one source said.

Updates to iLife and iWork are also expected alongside Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) but that they may be rebranded as "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard", dropping the calendar-year naming convention of the previous versions.

jtaylr77

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2004
I wonder if only users of the latest OS release will be able to install updated iLife

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Ugghhh......here we go again. :rolleyes:

I couldn't wait anymore, I ordered my MacPro yesterday. :D

Comment

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Ugghhh..."iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard"? Someone help them choose better names! :eek:

I'm impatiently waiting to find out what the new features are!

Comment

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Updates to iLife and iWork are also expected alongside Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) but that they may be rebranded as "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard", dropping the calendar-year naming convention of the previous versions.

thinksecret? think siurpee. i called it first. :)

Sources say Apple continues to toy with the idea of bundling one or both suites with the new operating system free of charge in an effort to further play up the extra value and features Mac OS X offers over Microsoft's new Windows Vista.

this would be great if apple bundled ilife with mac os x. then it would really be the "complete package."

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Ugghhh..."iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard"? Someone help them choose better names! :eek:

I'm impatiently waiting to find out what the new features are!

Yeah, While I like the idea and I know what they're doing, I hate the potential name. I never was a fan of the "tiger" or "leopard" naming scheme. But whatever, if it's true I'll live.

Comment

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
It would be nice to see iLife come with Leopard, I suppose if it calls iLife and iWork "Leopard" editions, we will be seeing less frequent major updates to these suites? May be Apple was using too many resources to get the frequent updates out in time for January?

Comment

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I doubt i will upgrade to leopard as it is, there is nothing for me there.

So these new features better be good!

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If anything significant has yet to be seen, then it must be tested for some time before release. And if gets released to testers, then word will leak.

Thus, Apple would want to hold an official event to preview the additional features, letting the news out in their own way. And this event would not be the release date--it would precede the final testing, and might name the release date.

June release sounds reasonable to me, with an "unveiling" well before then. There's no obvious reason NOT to preview the new stuff publicly: it would generate publicity, and Vista's already out if they're worried about stuff being copied.

New stuff that touches on entirely new business areas might be worth keeping secret--but not once it's being widely tested. There are no secrets then.

BTW, it's amusing how many people each have their own list of the "one or two" great features of Leopard, and call the rest useless... and for each person it's a different list :) So I'll name MY top feature:

* All the little stuff that doesn't make a good headline but adds up to a more productive experience every day. Each OS X release so far has been packed with these, and make OS X worth my $99 (Amazon) every time--even without the "headline" features. (Which, in the case of Leopard, DO sound pretty big to me--even the ones we know already.)

Re the secret features, I'm not expecting much. Apple-followers get themselves worked up that something great and revolutionary is coming every time, when of course the reality is that the new stuff is only great and revolutionary SOMETIMES. Maybe Leopard's secrets will astonish me, but I'm betting they will just be a little more icing on the cake. Like a new Finder. I finally really like the Finder as of Tiger, but it has its rough edges and I'd love to see a replacement.

And if Leopard's known new features don't impress you, I bet you're REALLY not excited about Vista :eek: (Yes, I know, Vista compares more closely to Panther or Tiger.)

Comment

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
Dropping the calendar year naming in iLife/iWork was bound to happen. I mean hell, by the time it comes out, half the year will be gone.

Comment

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
At this point, it's not hard to pick a month. There's April, May, and June left in Spring. Based on the fact that current Leopard builds (at least the ones developers are getting) are unstable, I doubt it's April. Based on the fact that they are unstable, I think it's less likely to be May than June. Based on the fact that Apple has a built in show with the WWDC in June and that they will be releasing the iPhone which is running a version of Leopard in June as well, I say June has red flags all over it!

So, yes, June is my prediction.

And yes, iLife Leopard is a bad name, but TS didn't say that was the name. They said it was something like that.

Comment

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Dropping the calendar year naming in iLife/iWork was bound to happen. I mean hell, by the time it comes out, half the year will be gone.

Very true. That's why I don't like Microsoft's product names.

NAMES- VISTA, XP- Don't give a sense of where it falls in time
YEARS- Office 2003, Office 2007- Appear out of date after time, especially when new releases aren't annual
NUMBERS- 10.4, 10.5- Give a sense of what came first/what comes next AND don't prematurely appear out of date

Comment

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007

Speaking of Leopard, iLife and iwork, what ever happened to Macs having a built-in basic art program? When did the Mac version of Microsoft's Paint disappear? Didn't old systems have a paint program?

Comment

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
anybody else find all the cat names difficult to keep in order? I wish they would just number everything, or maybe set up an alphabetical listing cats and go forward in the alphabet each year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.