Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144555-mac_os_x_lion_banner.png

As expected, the next version of Mac OS X was previewed at today's Back to the Mac event, showing new features inspired by iOS on the iPad, such as multi-touch gestures, the App Store, app home screens, full-screen apps, auto-saving capabilities, and how apps resume when launched.

Noting that over 7 billion apps have already been downloaded from the App Store, Jobs announced that the Mac will also have its own Mac App Store. It will feature one-click downloads, free and paid apps, and the same 70/30 revenue split currently applied to apps in the iOS App Store. Apps sold will be licensed for use on all the personal Macs a user owns. The new Launchpad in Lion will be a home screen for all applications.
"Lion brings many of the best ideas from iPad back to the Mac, plus some fresh new ones like Mission Control that Mac users will really like," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Lion has a ton of new features, and we hope the few we had time to preview today will give users a good idea of where we are headed."
The Mac App Store will look similar to the App Store on the iPad, featuring app descriptions, screen shots, and user reviews. The Launch Pad will display all applications on virtual pages, much like the home screen pages on iOS devices, including the ability to organize applications into folders.

In Lion, applications can be viewed in full-screen mode and navigated using multi-touch gestures to switch between open applications. The Dashboard feature will be accessible on a virtual page to the left of the current screen in the same way the search screen is accessible in iOS. A new Expose feature called Mission Control will show all windows for all open apps.

Lion will be released in Summer 2011. The Mac App Store will open in 90 days and developers can submit apps for inclusion beginning in November.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion Set for Summer 2011 Debut, Mac App Store to Launch Within 90 Days

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I love how the big feature is the Mac App Store (more money in Apple's pockets). Mission control doesn't look good enough to justify the upgrade.

GL

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
Looking forward to this. Anyone notice only mac pros were used at the event.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Love what I've seen so far.

AND, I should point out, Facetime would have totally been a "comes with the new OS" kind of feature in the past. So nice to see a free beta today instead of having them tie it to Lion.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Interesting...

I like Mission Control A LOT and I like that they're going fullscreen. (And for the record, no... this isn't the same as "maximize." It's about having apps have interfaces designed specifically for fullscreen.)

And... one more thing:

THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS CONVERGING iOS AND OS X!

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Will the Mac App store make Steam redundant?

No. The App Store wouldn't let you share games between Mac and Windows and Steam is a gaming platform with chat, friends, built-in voice and a lot of hooks that games can exploit. Some games, like Valve's, require it.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I'll be upgrading to OS X Lion. "Summer 2011" probably means the end of August.
Some of these features are pretty cool. I look forward to what other developments we hear about from now until the release.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
App Store...

For all the grumpy types who think the App Store is all about money in Apple's pocket...

Do you have any idea how much it simplifies distribution as an indy developer? There is A LOT to like about it. (Especially since we don't HAVE to use it.)

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
Lion seems interesting to me as well. I hope they keep letting you download apps from other sources after the Mac app store is released. I'm a bit worried that later they may decide to make it so you can't download apps from outside their store.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Love the Full Screen feature!

Launch Pad is pointless...

App Store is great but it isn't Lion exclusive so it is kind of irrelevant in this thread...

Mission Control is OK I guess... but certainly not wow...

I hope there is MUCH more to come in X.7 otherwise I might skip it just like skipped SL...

crockster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
They also silently updated the MacBook Pro... the i7 is now maxed out at 2.8ghz... this is really wrecking havoc on my purchasing decisions!

PigA

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Baggy
I'm loving Launch Pad and resuming apps!

Must say I was dreading coming on here for fear of 1000 angry people complaining about the iOs-isation of the Mac, but glad to see I was wrong (so far!)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
So far I'm not impressed. I think any under-the-hood improvements will be more important. So far the interface looks the same. We pretty much knew the iOS convergence would eventually happen. But from the demo, it seems like a really unholy union right now. Having the Dock along with Launch Pad seems redundant. An iOS-style app should behave just like a standard app. Why not just put them all in the Applications folder -- or get rid of that folder and have Launch Pad bring up all apps. Then the Dock could disappear. It seems like Lion is going to be a transitional OS.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Everyone should like this.

You absolutely HAVE to embrace iOS. It's the future.

Integration was bound to happen.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Will Devs start charging more for Apps you bought from them b/c of the 30% take?

I personally don't like the idea of the App Store b/c just like the one for iOS it doesn't help with trials which most softwares offer. I also like keeping my installer file and serial so that when I wipe my machine for maintenance or a new OS or a new machine, I can download the latest version or use my latest installer and I have my serials. I don't trust Migration Assistant, and I want more control over what I install on a newer machine or what to leave behind that isn't compatible with a newer OS. I also don't want to restore from Time Machine wholesale for the same reasons. The App Store leads to convenience but seems like it can be problematic later.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Quite an underwhelming introduction I thought. No "mindblowing" features such as Time Machine, a pity since they've had 4 years+ to work on new features since leopard.
The features they did introduce look useful though.
Perhaps there are a few "mindblowing" features that will be introduced at another keynote closer to launch. Has apple done that before, kept the best features secret until later?

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
App Store and Apple's Closed Ecosystem

I'm personally concerned about the closed ecosystem that is the appstore coming to OS X. This is a very bad development IMO. I know Steve said that this will only be one way you will be able to purchase and install software, but it will no doubt raise concerns. I guess on the plus side it might help small developers who don't have the resources or time to retail their software do so. I'm concerned that Apple might in time limit Macs to purchasing and installing using the app store like the iOS devices do.

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
I think that the 70/30 revenue ratio for author/apple in the Mac Store is a huge down side. While the Mac App store certainly may bring newfound attention to an application which previously would not be as known to the public, Apple's goal is to get more Mac marketshare, and more profit from that. While the App store may give Apple profit from leeching off developer's apps, no other operating system has that. It will be seen as a downside for developers to develop on the Mac, and that is the opposite of what Apple wants. With more developers for the Mac, there will be more users and more attention, and ultimately more innovation and leading progress - my speculation is that this will discourage developers to develop for the Mac by not getting all of the profits.

Also, as a 16 year old who only has $50 on my PayPal currently (and that happens less than once a year), I'm going to be weary on what applications to purchase and which to save my money on and pirate. While this may be objectable to many, I try my best to purchase my music and applications I use, and once I get a credit card I plan on doing so much more efficiently. The reason I might purchase an app is to support the developer and the firm. When Apple gets 30%, which is a big chunk of my money, it is discouraging not only for the developer but for the end user - especially a user like me with limited amounts of money - to purchase anything, because I know that the money is not going to who it deserves to be sent to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.