Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I remember playing around with OS X 10.3 on an iMac G4 at CompUSA. I also remember waiting for the launch of 10.4 and then the iMac G5 to make my purchase. I'm still happy with 10.4, although it is a drag that most new web browsers etc, require 10.5 and Intel. Maybe, I'll upgrade when Lion comes out.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
As a switcher in 2008, I feel I have to give a big thanks to Microsoft and Windows Vista - after all, if Vista hadn't been so terrible, I might not have switched ;)

Happy birthday OS X - here's to another 10 years!!

Reticent

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Denver
Huzzah! I remember using an Apple IIe. It's come a long way, and I've loved every second that I've been a part of it (except things did get a liiiittttlee sketchy around the "grey box" era).

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
X = 10

Wow.... X years already!!

Well done Steve by saving  Computer by evolving NeXTSTEP via Rhapsody and Mac OS X Server 1.x into Mac OS X!!

Some memories:

- Steve showing the OS strategy roadmap: Mac OS 8 / 9 vs. Mac OS X
- "Rhapsody" evolving into Mac OS X DP1
- Mac OS X DP3 incl. Aqua interface
- Mac OS X Public Beta "Kodiak"
- Mac OS X 10.0 "Cheetah"... I got the original CD (yes.. CD..) in Paris, France.
- Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma" and Office v. X
- Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" and Photoshop 7
- Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" largely regarded as the first real 100% usable version of OS X (not in the least because of app development)
- Mac OS X 10.4.1 "Tiger" Intel Developer Preview
- Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" Universal stuff
- Mac OS X 10.6.6 "Snow Leopard" and Mac App Store
- Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and optional Server Install

I <3  and Mac OS X

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Gelukkige Verjaarsdag, كل عام و أنت بخير, Ծնունդդ շնորհավոր, З днём нараджэння, Sretan rođendan, 生日快樂, Všechno nejlepší k narozeninám!, Fijne Verjaardag, Joyeux anniversaire, Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Buon compleanno, お誕生日おめでとうございます, qoSlIj DatIvjaj, 생일축하합니다, Felix dies natalis, Vill Gléck fir däi Gebuertsdag!, Gratulerer med dagen, С днем рождения, ¡feliz cumpleaños!, Grattis på födelsedagen, Chúc mừng sinh nhật, Halala ngosuku lokuzalwa... :cool:

So many posts of "Happy Birthday", that one more would just get lost in the shuffle... So, how many ways can one say 'Happy Birthday'? Let me count the ways... :eek:

Happy Birthday Apple OS X... :) :apple:
/
/
/
/

And don't forget 'Penblwydd hapus' and 'Boldóg szüleitésnapot'...

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I'm running Mac OS 8.5 on my Performa 6400
Mac OS 9.5 on my G3
Mac OS 10.4.6 on my Intel Duo Macbook Pro
and
Mac OS 10.6.7 on my Quad Macbook Pro

Yes... I'm all over the place.

Happy Birthday!

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
I have been using Mac OS X since the first public beta. I still have screenshots around from the public beta, 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2.

I feel like this one best exemplifies the time during which Mac OS X originated: the Matrix was incredibly popular, as was Quake III. But most popular of all were PC and Mac users trolling each other about which operating system was best, the so called MHz myth, etc. I was 14 years old when I took this screenshot, and oh boy was I an Apple evangelist reaching absurd proportions.

Really I think most of us were still very worried that Apple would go under, and despite being "really cool", OS X had serious problems that wouldn't necessarily make you optimistic. It was slow. Window resizing was really painful, and 3D games tended to run much slower in OS X than in OS9. There was a dearth of software and even much of Apple's own software was not yet compatible.

On the other hand it was really stable, right from the start. Running OS 9, the expectation was that it wasn't "if" your computer froze, but rather "when" it froze. Without protected memory (applications could corrupt eachother) and without pre-emptive multitasking (applications could go into infinite loops refusing to give back control to the OS) the operating system was just really unstable, and frankly it was getting archaic compared to Windows. OS X and its unix underpinnings with a modern pre-emptive multitasking scheduler and protected memory not only brought stability, but also finally allowed Apple's dual processor systems to actually take advantage of the 2nd processor without requiring special application support.

Here's to you, Mac OS X!

pbeta.jpg

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
I remember using OS 10.1.5 at home when my school was hell bent on using OS 9.
I skipped 10.2 but 10.3 and 10.4 I have this year FINALLY I am making the leap to Lion!
With a new iMac sandy bridge:)

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Ten Years Gone

One of my favorite old Zepplin tunes :) I think I've kept all my install CDs from 10.1 on; wow, time has been marchin' along :D

Good on ya Apple :apple:

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
As a switcher in 2008, I feel I have to give a big thanks to Microsoft and Windows Vista - after all, if Vista hadn't been so terrible, I might not have switched ;)

Happy birthday OS X - here's to another 10 years!!

+1 on this! even though I first started using Apple computers at work in 1994 with QuarkExpress 3.1.
I don't remember which OS Apple used back in the mid-90s, but I will never forget the bitmapped "bomb" that would show up way too frequently!
Thanks, :apple:, and Happy Birthday.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Happy Birthday NeXTSTEP!!! ;)

All of this begs the question... what's next for OS X?

I'm guessing they'll never move away from UNIX as the core OS... too late in the game now, but what are the alternatives?

I'm hoping they'll keep plugging at technologies like Open CL, GCD etc. to make Macs even faster...

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
While I am glad you're 10 years old OS X, I'm also a bit sad that you abandoned your big brother OS 9 at that truck stop bathroom out in Kansas. No need to be too sad though, I'm sure he's up there in that big computer lab in the sky looking down with that big happy face he always had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.