Mac OS X Turns Ten Years Old

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today marks the tenth birthday of Mac OS X, which officially debuted on March 24th, 2001 as Mac OS X 10.0 with an internal codename of "Cheetah". As noted by Macworld, the release in retrospect was a milestone in Apple's transformation from a struggling computer company into the major technology behemoth it is today.
    While the impact of Mac OS X on Apple's products and the user experience they provide is undeniable, the early days of the operating system were anything but perfect, from a shaky public beta released in late 2000 through the public launch of Cheetah that necessitated rapid fixes and improvements that led to the release of Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma" just six months later. As Ars Technica noted in an extensive review of Mac OS X 10.0.0, the release showed "tremendous promise" despite obviously still being a work in progress.
    Mac OS X has obviously come a long way in the ten years since its initial release, but Apple has also become much more than a computer company: revolutionizing music consumption with the iPod, recreating the smartphone market with the iPhone, and most recently finally catapulting the tablet market into consumers' awareness with the iPad. In the process, Apple's operating system for mobile devices, iOS, has itself matured and yielded a number of new innovations and features.

Consequently, Apple has chosen to position the next step in the evolution of Mac OS X as "Back to the Mac", an effort to bring some of the most popular features of iOS to the Mac platform for the first time while retaining the familiarity, flexibility, and horsepower of Mac OS X. That next step, Mac OS X Lion, is set to debut sometime this summer, and developers and users should be able to learn much more about Apple's efforts at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference presumably set to occur in June or July.

Article Link: Mac OS X Turns Ten Years Old

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. mlomeli macrumors member

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Happy birthday! Here's to another 10 years (hopefully dominated by OS XI, or equivalent) :D

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

10 years already? Time to touch land. It's been great 10 years at sea.

8. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

9. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

10. karatekidk macrumors regular

Happy 10th B'day!

Getting a bit sentimental just by thinking about what I was doing in 2001...

11. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Here's to another great 10 years!

OSX is the reason I switched for Linux.

For me, the first usable version was Pather. Had great performance improvements over 10.2.

UI-wise, the brushed metal of 10.2 was a very low point!

12. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Amazing longevity. A truly robust platform that brought Apple into the 21st century. Especially when you consider the competition at the time! I seem to remember Mac OS X was touted as Apple's platform "for the next 20 years" when it was introduced. So it's only halfway finished!

13. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

Mac OS X Rambling Memories

I recall the count down on Apple's homepage, waiting for it to come out. Several days after Mac OS X's release, my Power Mac G4 (which still runs) would arrive, and I slapped in a second hard drive so I could have OS 9 on one hard drive (20 GB) and Mac OS X on the other (15 GB).

I quickly made good use of Mac OS X's UNIX internals by making a PHP-Apache-MySQL project for a class. I made Mac OS X my primary OS pretty much from Day 1. I believe Photoshop was one of the last major programs I needed to launch regularly from Classic.

14. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

OS X? Never heard of it. It'll probably fail and fall into product obscurity hell like the iPod did.

15. 66318 macrumors regular

10 years ago is when I became interested in the Mac again. Went to a reseller for the release party, tinkered with it, and dug into the Unix side. Made friends with the owner, and a few months later I bought a used iMac.

Still remember the countdown on Apple.com for the release. Up till then, I had been reading about it a lot, but never had hands on time with the public beta.

Should dig out the G4 Cube and boot 10.0 for fun tonight. Once I get past the blinding pinstripes, should be interesting to look back to see how far the OS has come.

16. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Mac OS X, happy birthday to you :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

17. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Wish I had gotten a few shares of stock then!!

20. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

21. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

The cake is a lie.

22. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

23. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Happy Birthday, OS X! Thank you for making me enjoy using my computer :)

24. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

So the next will be:

OS Xi

... little i being key.

Times, they are a-changin'... when they release XCode / gcc for iOS, the corner will have been turned. From there, it'll get crazy... :apple:

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy