Mac OS X Tutorial videos ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by r.j.s, Apr 3, 2009.

1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have been thinking about putting together tutorial videos on using different different features of OS X ... but I need some ideas.

If I can get some ideas on what people would like to see how to do, I'll make the video and post it for MR.

Changing Icons

Installing XP through Fusion

Create encrypted disk image

Installing and uninstalling applications

Using Automator

Change File Associations

Quick Tip - Multiple File Info

Using Spaces

Move vs. Copy vs. Alias

Using Disk Utility

Burning a Disc Image to CD

Using Aliases

Setting up Time Machine

Using Time Machine

You can find my wallpaper here, and the icons here.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Simple stuff, I'm assuming? Not how to install and configure a MAMP server?

How long do you want these videos to be? Quick and topical, or long and broad? You could do one video on backups, covering Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (or SuperDuper) and the relative benefits of each.

3. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Simple to moderate, nothing too complex, but nothing that can be accomplished in a few seconds.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, just Time Machine then? How to configure, how to back up, and how to restore? Is that the sort of size you're after?

5. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, stuff like that ... I can do the production, as well as the technical work of the tutorial ... I just lack the creativity to come up with things people would actually need to see.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I had a similar idea a while back. Didn't seem to be much interest, though.

The problem isn't coming up with ideas, it's coming up with ideas regularly and consistently. Augh. This is why I never got into blogging.

7. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You seem to want to attempt the same thing ... but are plagued with the same limitations I am.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not quite. My idea was to document problems and their solutions, rather than straight walkthroughs. Hanging out in here, you've got plenty of ideas for problems to solve. The ideas take care of themselves. The bit that bothered me about that idea was the potential for self-medication. You probably know what I'm talking about.

9. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. I know.

10. shanshor macrumors regular

Another could be Parallels VS. Fusion. iShowU reviews, macsnapper, other 3rd party apps. Yahoo Vs. Adium. Benefits of both (webcams vs not). Garageband tutorials always help, along with iLife '09 since it is a new product.

I have been thinking about doing stuff like this for a while, but i'm shy :))

maybe dock tweakers. Like SuperDocker and Docker, and other tweaking tools like TinkerTool. (All freeware). I wouldn't recommend doing paid apps unless going into full detail because people won't be willing to go out and buy those based on a 3 minute review (no offense).

Good Luck !

11. Avi macrumors member

How to use Onyx

How to access a PC from a Mac or vice-versa

Maybe how to use - Bowtie, Geektools etc

Installing Windows using VMware

12. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, that would be a good one ... and maybe the bootcamp process as well.

13. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

Link another persons video for basic content. Like the ones you see on youtube?

14. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I finished the first video, if I could get some comments on it, it would be greatly appreciated. The longest part was uploading it to YouTube, and this is more of a proof of concept and opportunity to work out the bugs without putting much effort into it. I hope to take it much further, with close ups to focus on important steps that may be confusing.

The topic for this one is changing icons, specifically the hard drive icon, which requires a permissions change.

I'm going to do installing XP through Fusion next.

YouTube link

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What program are you using to record? If that's an option, I suggest speeding your mouse click indicator up quite a bit.

With regard to that specific tutorial, it would be helpful to explain the functional difference between a .icns file and an icon, and to briefly discuss what permissions are and why they need to be changed. Otherwise looks good.

Here's a copy of the one I made a while back. I don't really do anything, though. (My neck was stiff at the time, hence the angled head.)

16. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

That was cool and informative, r.j.s!
    Very nicely done and thanks, :)
    Morod

17. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm using iShowU HD Pro, and I don't know if that is an option, but I'll check it out.

I did this one mostly to get a feel for the software, and work out a way to define my workflow. I wanted something that was quick and not too involved.

I'll check that out.

Thanks.

How was the volume? I used the internal mic, because I couldn't find my wired lav, which I plan on using in the future.

18. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Volume was fine, but a little bit muddy. Using the lav would be a good idea. I'll try to come up with some topics that would be of interest to a lot of people. Thanks again.
    Morod

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about "How to use Google" - that'll solve a lot of people's problems.

20. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

:D

I agree, the audio quality could've been better. You might want to experiment with that a bit.

21. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

22. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think my next video will be on creating encrypted fisk images for safe keeping of files.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That would be good, actually. A lot of people should learn the simple trick of attaching site:something.com/org/net/gov at the end of their search for targeted web sites. Let's give an example...

If I wanted to see some Office vs iWork crap on Macrumors I'd type in Google,

Code:
    iWork vs Office site:forums.macrumors.com
    7,940 results. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

24. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Everyone has private documents on their computer - bank statements, tax files, work files. OS X doesn't provide a way to lock an individual folder, but you can protect files using an encrypted disk image. Here I show you how to create that image.

Create encrypted disk image

25. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

you may want to consider going to www.apple.com/findouthow and look at the text based tutorials they have and maybe converting some of those over to videos for the MR Community.