Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I'm still holding out for LOLCat. I hear it will have a new addition to iLife called iCheezeburger. It will locate all the places in a certain area that server cheezeburgers, and give you ratings and directions to the place. It will also incorporate cheezeburger recognition. With this feature, you can upload a picture of your favorite cheezeburger, and it will recognize who made it.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Why do I have this feeling that MacOS X 10.6 may be the last major development of the MacOS X line?

I (in my humble opinion!) wouldn't be surprised that Apple will announce the before the end of 2009 the development of MacOS XI 11.0, the first major OS architectural change in the MacOS design since the original MacOS X 10.0 with full ZFS support and the "Marble" interface standard. With beta kits becoming available to developers by WWDC in June 2010....

I don't think that's likely. Look at how much Apple have been milking that OS X trademark, making incremental updates x.x.1 rather than x.1.

My big question is, where will they go once they've made Mac OS X 10.9?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't think that's likely. Look at how much Apple have been milking that OS X trademark, making incremental updates x.x.1 rather than x.1.

My big question is, where will they go once they've made Mac OS X 10.9?

Mac OS X 10.10 is named Albino Lion. Mac OS X 10.11 is American Panther. Mac OS X 10.12 is Leopon, which is a cross between a Leopard and a a female Lion. Mac OS X 10.13 is Marozi (Spotted Lion).

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Mac OS X 10.10 is named Albino Lion. Mac OS X 10.11 is American Panther. Mac OS X 10.12 is Leopon, which is a cross between a Leopard and a a female Lion. Mac OS X 10.13 is Marozi (Spotted Lion).

Yeah, but then it's just stupid to keep sticking a big fat "v10." in front of every version number. IT'S NOT VERSION 10 ANYMORE!!! :p

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Maybe 10.7 will also take some things from iPhone OS for mobile Macs (like MacBook, maybe MacTablet :p)? Digital compass, GPS and automatic screen rotation are examples of things that would be useful.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
As far as mac os 10.7 is concerned it will be ocelot. it has such an awesome ring to it. and please, make it have resolution independence.. so that it has an algorithm for creating the size of text through the use of screen size compared to resolution of screen. also, having a instant on mode that boots up something like the OS on the iphone so i can quickly check my email and such without having to boot up all of the OSX stuff.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As far as mac os 10.7 is concerned it will be ocelot. it has such an awesome ring to it. and please, make it have resolution independence.. so that it has an algorithm for creating the size of text through the use of screen size compared to resolution of screen. also, having a instant on mode that boots up something like the OS on the iphone so i can quickly check my email and such without having to boot up all of the OSX stuff.

Instant on mode is called Sleep in Mac OS X.
You close the lid of your notebook, or select Sleep from the :apple: Menu and it goes to sleep.
Opening the lid or waking the computer is happening in less than three seconds.

The iPhone will have the same algorithm for being instantly there for your needs.

And re: to your signature: I disagree, as rain/water is essential to natural life, MBs aren't.

Sorry if I come across a little bit mean, I'm deprived of sleep, and I had to hold back from another thread, were a lot of plurals were build with an apostrophe.
Have a good day, sir or lady.

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Instant on mode is called Sleep in Mac OS X.
You close the lid of your notebook, or select Sleep from the :apple: Menu and it goes to sleep.
Opening the lid or waking the computer is happening in less than three seconds.

3 seconds? More like 1 second.

But what I would like is to have a hibernate option for desktop computers, so they can sleep without a power source if need be.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
3 seconds? More like 1 second.

But what I would like is to have a hibernate option for desktop computers, so they can sleep without a power source if need be.

Don't they do that already? I know the macbooks all hibernate, is it disabled for some reason on desktops?

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
Maybe 10.7 will also take some things from iPhone OS for mobile Macs (like MacBook, maybe MacTablet :p)? Digital compass, GPS and automatic screen rotation are examples of things that would be useful.

difference between hardware and software.

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Don't they do that already? I know the macbooks all hibernate, is it disabled for some reason on desktops?

Dunno. I've never seen a hibernate option, but if you know how to do that do tell.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 94

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Dunno. I've never seen a hibernate option, but if you know how to do that do tell.

The hibernate option is an emergency fail safe for all mac laptops for when the battery gets very very low. You can't activate it, even on the laptops, it's an automatic process.

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
The hibernate option is an emergency fail safe for all mac laptops for when the battery gets very very low. You can't activate it, even on the laptops, it's an automatic process.

Well that's no help for when power goes out on an iMac. They should build them with 1 minute batteries so they can hibernate.

But it would still be a nice option to hibernate whenever you want.

How about something else cool, support of Windows drivers? :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
i use the widget "Deep Sleep" does the same thing but much easier to access :)

I did use it too, but it somehow fracked up my MacBook when I first discovered, that those Intel portable Macintosh computers had this "issue" of driving the current state of RAM to the HDD, which took 30 seconds for 4GB RAM.
My iBook was already sleeping, when the lid was not even closed compared to that.

So SmartSleep offered me the better solution.

And why am even writing this?
Ah, late, tired, at work. Nighttime. And counting posts. ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I did use it too, but it somehow fracked up my MacBook when I first discovered, that those Intel portable Macintosh computers had this "issue" of driving the current state of RAM to the HDD, which took 30 seconds for 4GB RAM.
My iBook was already sleeping, when the lid was not even closed compared to that.

So SmartSleep offered me the better solution.

And why am even writing this?
Ah, late, tired, at work. Nighttime. And counting posts. ;)

Deep Sleep lets you choose what state you want to use, you use the "Quick" option if you want it to sleep instantly.. maybe you had the wrong setting??

i havent had any problems with it.

there is always the good old terminal commands that is happening 'behind the scenes' with these apps anyway :p

+1 post count :p :rolleyes:

artguy10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Deep Sleep lets you choose what state you want to use, you use the "Quick" option if you want it to sleep instantly.. maybe you had the wrong setting??

i havent had any problems with it.

there is always the good old terminal commands that is happening 'behind the scenes' with these apps anyway :p

+1 post count :p :rolleyes:

OOOOR how about something that doesn't run the risk of messing up the computer, like an option in the shutdown dialog made by Apple.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OOOOR how about something that doesn't run the risk of messing up the computer, like an option in the shutdown dialog made by Apple.

i dont see it being a risk... but that option would be nice.. or holding down the :Option: button when you hit the sleep button - or something to that accord. :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Sorry, I always think of version numbers mathematically. 10.10 = 10.1, the next logical jump from 10.8 to 10.9 is 11.0.

that would be the logical naming scheme for the versions (10.11 will most likely be an imminent release AFTER 10.6 has come out, similar to 10.4.11) but i hope the "Mac OS X" term disappears and they rename it to something else..

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
that would be the logical naming scheme for the versions (10.11 will most likely be an imminent release AFTER 10.6 has come out, similar to 10.4.11) but i hope the "Mac OS X" term disappears and they rename it to something else..

I like the numerical system. But Apple Mojave OS would be cool. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.