Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

explit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Berlin / Germany
Hello Guys:

I have a Problem with Mac Pro 4.1(5.1).

I have flashed 2x Graphic Cards wit mac EFI ROM to have a Boot Screen:

MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G
MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G

Both Graphic Cards works very good in MacOS Mojave, but as soon i start Windows 10 on the Mac Pro, i get a black Screen and the Mac Pro reboots.
With the stock Windows GPU BIOS on both cards - Windows boots just fine.

What can it be?

Thanks

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Use legacy / csm mode windows,

Uefi can harm the rom, also it needs secure boot / gop firmware in the gpu.

This is replaced by the uga part ( mac bootscreen )

Reactions: explit

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello Guys:

I have a Problem with Mac Pro 4.1(5.1).

I have flashed 2x Graphic Cards wit mac EFI ROM to have a Boot Screen:

MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G
MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G

Both Graphic Cards works very good in MacOS Mojave, but as soon i start Windows 10 on the Mac Pro, i get a black Screen and the Mac Pro reboots.
With the stock Windows GPU BIOS on both cards - Windows boots just fine.

What can it be?

Thanks
Very simple, flashed GPUs based on Mac Edition cards (Sapphire HD 7950 and eVGA GTX 680) only work with CSM Windows. Both cards were released long before UEFI 2.3.1c spec was ratified.

Windows 10 UEFI only works with GPUs that have GOP support.

explit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Berlin / Germany
Thanks guys, so all i need is to Install Windows in Legacy Mode?
Will it work with NVMe Card?

My Mojave is on SATA SSD but Windows is on NVME Card.

Strange thing is: Nvidia Quadro 2000D works fine with Mac EFI ROM in both Mojave and Windows.
Only AMD Cards make Problems.

lukesturr

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Texas
PCIe NVMe SSDs only work with EFI Windows installs. You could flash your GPUs to stock BIOS and install OpenCore to your Mojave SSD to have a bootscreen on stock GPUs and protect your firmware from EFI Windows secure boot certs.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

Strange thing is: Nvidia Quadro 2000D works fine with Mac EFI ROM in both Mojave and Windows.
NVMe Windows boot support require an UEFI install and you can't boot from NVMe with a CSM Windows install.

Read again what I wrote about GPUs, GPUs based on Mac Edition EFI don't have GOP support. Quadro 2000D Mac EFI is not based on a Mac Edition ROM, AFAIK is a MVC ROM. GTX 680 Mac Edition have the same Windows UEFI problem.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
A legacy-based installation (with "old" MBR) should solve your problem. UEFI-installations could harm the bootrom and cause a bricked backplane.

As this machine is old and UEFI will have zero advantages compared to MBR, classic MBR is strongly recommended to avoid problems.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
A legacy-based installation (with "old" MBR) should solve your problem. UEFI-installations could harm the bootrom and cause a bricked backplane.

As this machine is old and UEFI will have zero advantages compared to MBR, classic MBR is strongly recommended to avoid problems.
MP5,1 CSM mode don't enable AHCI for SATA, the SATA ports are enabled as IDE only, so you have a notable performance difference in disk access here.

While Windows 10 SecureBoot can brick a backplane with MP51.0087.B00 when it crashes saving the certificates/database/PKs inside the NVRAM volume, because this specific release is missing the Intel microcodes, with any other EFI release the SecureBoot just needs a lot of space and it's not the real problem, but NVRAM fragmentation. A fragmented NVRAM volume will brick sooner or later, SecureBoot just helps with a lot with the sooner part.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks for the answers guys.
so for this system i need a newer Graphiccard with MVC ROM.
Something like RX480.
So those cards do they have a switch on the side? That switch when flipped can give you Windows UEFI boot. But you will loose boot screen. Don't flip the switch while running.
1587951388438.png

explit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
Berlin / Germany
So Windows on the NVMe need UEFI. And UEFI Windows installation could harm Bootrom. Right?
So Windows on the NVMe is NoGo on the Mac Pro?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
The BIOS switch on R9 980X cards should be set to Position #2 prior to starting any flashing operation.

The same goes for HD 7950 & HD 7970 cards.

HuRR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2003
I have a flashed r9 280x and had no idea why my Windows partition wouldn't start. This thread mae it clear. I ended up pulling the drive and connecting it to my Macbook Pro via usb and booted into Windows. After that I ran AOEMI Partition Assistant and converted it to an MBR partition from GPT.

I placed it back into my Mac Pro 5,1 and held Alt/Option and selected Windows. Was getting errors that the drive was inaccessible but had the old Windows Safe Mode Selection menus. Decided to randomly boot into Safe Mode with Networking. At this point I was resigned to the fact that it was fubar. Lo and behold on the next restart, it booted up perfectly fine using a flashed r9 280x.

Kalanthar96

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020

Bro how to bro pls tell me me to some problem

Kalanthar96

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Pls tell r9 280 not boot screen windows how to fix this problem bios apple fine work but he not working how to clear fix pls tell me guys

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_004538.jpg
    IMG_20201213_004538.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 129
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.