Mac pro; buy now or wait a few months.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

ov i want one now, but i can certainly wait a little while if there is something better coming out soon. will apple be improving their mac pros anytime this summer? c

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's nothing to upgrade to. Buy now.

Nehalem at MacWorld '09.

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It's not likely that any major changes are coming before the end of the year. There have been rumors about new video card options and a possible Blu-ray drive, but no indication of when these can be expected.

4. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

scoop up...

... now. Those machines are awesome...:apple:

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually there will ALWAYS be something new and improved coming (even with toilet paper). But if you always take the "wait on something new" you will never buy.

6. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I agree--buy, buy, buy. The MacPro is awesome. I couldn't ask for anything more.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Especially not with the setup you've got in your sig. What are you using it for?

8. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'm a faculty member at a large research university. I compute (a lot), and I view a lot of data, but I don't need any high-speed graphics, so I settled for 3 of the basic NVIDIA GeForce 7300 graphics cards, with one monitor per card.

If you search the threads, my computer has been well-discussed several times. I don't want to steal the OP's thread here.

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for the info, I'll redirect myself to the other thread then.

10. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

that's what YOU think

11. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

If you can wait, than wait, if you really need it now, than buy it now.

It's all guessing, but the following major upgrade would occur a few months after Nehalem introduction, set up for the late 2008. Apple would probably wait for a few months, selling pro's with the current proc at a higher margin. Which means next year.

sash

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay. Prove to us that Nehalem will be released in a timeframe that allows me to purchase a Mac Pro with it inside in this year.

It's happening at MacWorld '09.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Agreed that if you don't want to wait until MacWorld 2009 (or beyond) for Nehalem, a major upgrade, then buy now. The current generation is amazing.

14. dchao macrumors 6502a

I second that, that's what I do with all my technology purchases.

1) Computer prices either going to stay the same or you get more stuff for the same price. Cash in the bank is always the better option.

2) If you need it today, to improve productivity, then don't wait, as your time is far more valuable. There will always be new models coming out. That's how computer companies make money.

15. echoout macrumors 6502a

One month after the new one comes out early 2009, murmurs will start coming out of Intel about the "new one". The cycles are so short now. Either you need it, or you don't. If you're going to buy soon, buy now. If you're leaning towards waiting a bit, be ready to wait until Feb 09. Just don't wait a while then pull the trigger (like in December) and get mad when one comes out weeks later.

My Early 2008 8-core is sick. Glad I didn't wait. I've got work to do!

16. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I love my early 2008 Mac Pro... It does everything I can possibly throw at it and doesn't skip a beat... If the need is there, get one now.

17. osin macrumors 6502

Shouldn't the Mac Pro be updated at least one more time before switching to Nehalem processors in early 2009?

18. schnee macrumors member

Why? What would change? Maybe the new ATI being a BTO option, but what else?

19. osin macrumors 6502

in online store you can buy Mac Pro single quad core processor for $2,299 I was hoping that with new update Apple will offer something else for that price...

anyway I just returned from the local Apple store disappointed that they don't have this configuration in stock.
    I was so ready to buy it today :(

20. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The question is: Do I buy the toilet paper today? Or, do I wait until something better comes out :confused:

I would only wait if you don't need the machine, and if you can wait for several months.

Many people waited for the current model. And, many of them waited for about a year. And, of course, those people missed out on using the Mac Pro for that period of time. And, the longer they waited, the harder it was to consider buying the current model (because a newer model should be even closer now).

So, I say wait only if you can wait indefinitely. Buy if you want to start using it.

21. schnee macrumors member

Get on deal-mac.com and subscribe to the RSS feed for deals for 'Mac Pro'. Then, be patient and alert, and when a single quad core appears in the refurb store, snap it up for $1999. :)

22. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Bad analogy.

23. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight. I post the following:

And you post this reply without giving any reason or contrasting opinion?

I have been following these forums and Mac news pretty closely for a while. What I stated seems to sum up what most people seem to think (as far as I’ve been able to ascertain). I also did not overstate these opinions, using phases such as “not likely” and “there have been rumors”. I suspect that most of the people on this forum would agree with my post. If you have some reason to disagree, please give it. Otherwise, I wish you’d refrain from idiotic posts like this.

24. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

The Mac Pro of today is great and will hold resale value if the next one has Blue Ray or better graphics or a built-in toaster or whatever. If you want an awesome machine today, the Mac Pro is it.

25. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I would say to buy right now but only if you have an immediate need. It's a waste to buy hardware and sit on it.

If you are prepared to wait a few months then maybe consider waiting for the next iteration of hardware.

Every time new hardware is released it generally smokes what it replaces.