Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deathshrub, Mar 27, 2008.

1. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Just came up in Software Update. Wonder if this fixes the sleep issue?

Attached Files:

2. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't even require a restart? Strange.

Attached Files:

3. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Wait and see other people's experience before installing!

For me, the last firmware update they released for the Mac Pro (the ATI one) made things worse.

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Did it change your background to that snot colour? :D

5. overcast macrumors 6502a

Read instructions.
    Code:
    This update is for Mac Pro computers with Intel processors only.

Note: Print or write down these instructions before you begin the update.

To update the firmware on your Intel-based Mac Pro:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac Pro until the status light flashes repeatedly or you hear a long tone, then release the power button.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

6. overcast macrumors 6502a

7. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't realize it was an application. The Software Update blurb didn't say anything about having to run an application to apply the firmware update, and I haven't done this before so pardon me. :p

While the firmware was being updated, both of my superdrives popped out and then went back in when the update was finished.

The computer's behavior seems to be more consistent after waking up from sleep now. Before, the fans would run anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds before the monitor came on or before the hard drives spun up. (edit: if it woke up at all. a lot of times it would just restart.) Now the fans run for about 3 seconds, and the computer takes about 3 more until the monitor comes on.

Attached Files:

8. mac2beach macrumors newbie

9. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I didn't get the progress bar; just a black screen with no image.

10. overcast macrumors 6502a

Did you follow the instructions like you were supposed to?

11. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Smooth update for me. Interesting that both of my drives popped out but only the apple shipped drive retracted EVEN THOUGH they are BOTH Pioneer DVR-112D.

12. anthonyjr macrumors member

anthonyjr

Hopefully we get one of these for the older Mac Pros; I'm having the "fan blast off at awake" issue also.

13. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

my iMac does that too. A loud puff like noise when u wake it up. I think its normal.

14. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is not that the fans would run fast for a few moments - mine still do that, and it seems to be the way machine is intended to function. The fans blasting is probably a measure in place to make sure dust doesn't build up in such a low air flow machine.

The problem is that sleeping the Early 2008 Mac Pros would result in a reboot most of the time for most(?) people. There is a massive thread on Apple's own support boards: link.

If you feel that your computer's fans are running more than they should upon startup/wake from sleep, get some compressed air and blow the inside out.

edit: mike beat me to it. and on an iPhone no less! :)

15. overcast macrumors 6502a

lol @ a measure to prevent dust buildup.

The fans blasting is the same reason why video cards on PCs ramp to 100% on boot or bios/efi update. The fan speed controller hasn't initialized yet.

16. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

17. overcast macrumors 6502a

What does it have to do with a PC? It's called logic.

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know what I did or anything but I havnt had the reboot on wake in the past 3 weeks and I sleep my mac pro overnight..

19. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

Enjoy your PC and bitter disposition.

20. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

All:

The fan "take off" noise is normal. These fans are thermally regulated - as in - the Mac monitors the temp.... If the Mac gets hot the fans spin up.

Guess what!? In order for the fans to be regulated, the Mac has to be awake/aware - to monitor the temp. That takes a few seconds when you power up. In the meantime, to protect the components, the fans are set to run at max speed in the absence of any ability to monitor the temp.

It's that simple.

Lumpy

21. overcast macrumors 6502a

I'm enjoying both, thanks!

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Either way, I dont know why so many people have a problem with the fan rev up on boot.. I like it is like a muscle car but in a computer format to show off its revving power!!

But seriously since pretty much everyone has this happen, you have to think and know that its normal.

23. anthonyjr macrumors member

anthonyjr

Ah, I'm sorry I didn't elaborate. I'm talking 10-second "blast offs" before my display pops and my HDDs spin up. The same issue someone with an Early 2008 Mac Pro mentioned earlier.

24. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

hope this fixes the restart after sleep issue

Edit: So far no restarts even when I do certain things like use parallels or do quick naps. I think she's cured!

25. sourcery macrumors newbie

Well, as long as you don't sleep with your Mac Pro overnight, you have nothing all that much to worry about :)