Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
Ok, I took the plunge and installed the Leo graphics update
upon which this apparently depends. I'd resisted that before
so as to remain 2 mistakes away from accidentally installing
the dreaded HD2600XT update.

Dreaded update? What was so dreadful about it? It fixed my screen wonkiness like a charm.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Ok, I took the plunge and installed the Leo graphics update
upon which this apparently depends. I'd resisted that before
so as to remain 2 mistakes away from accidentally installing
the dreaded HD2600XT update.

All went well if a little scarily. The beep made me jump. Note
to Apple: warn people not to install this update in rooms with
low ceilings.

Visual note to Apple:

View attachment 109668

See that little green check mark that is to show that it has been installed.

mlsiemon

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Any luck installing this with a RAID card?

Can anyone who has the EFI update in the Software Update list
please let me know what their boot ROM version is before applying it?

I'm just curious to know why it isn't in the list for me. Maybe
not all previous boot ROM versions need replacing.

My boot ROM version: MP31.006C.B02.

Yep, that's 3 below MP31.006C.B05 which comes with the
EFI update :)

Yep; version ...B02 before, supposed to go to B05.

I've tried 5 times now, and the firmware update has never taken. I see a progress bar "instantly" going from full white to full gray, and restart never shows a change to B05.

If this update is related to sleep issues, then that may explain the failure, as the MacPro with RAID does not ever actually sleep (aside from sleeping the display).

subaqua

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minneapolis
bla bla bla bla in the forum, just any that have the reboot after sleep, run the update and check that fix... its simple.... works YES OR NOT?????

FWIW. This firmware update fixed the reboot on wake problem for my system so I'm very happy.

Note, I had to download the update and install it manually. When I installed it via software update, nothing happened...

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007

I've tried 5 times now, and the firmware update has never taken. I see a progress bar "instantly" going from full white to full gray, and restart never shows a change to B05.

If this update is related to sleep issues, then that may explain the failure, as the MacPro with RAID does not ever actually sleep (aside from sleeping the display).

It shouldn't fail. I have the APPLE RAID card and it's true that the card prevents the MP from actually sleeping (only the monitor as you mentioned) but I had no problems getting the firmware upgraded - on the first try :rolleyes:

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
hmm. very interesting. I could speculate wildly. The SuperDrive bay opening was also curious....(takes off glasses, rubs chin)...but what does it all mean?

I think the DVD drive opening helps to ensure that the Mac Pro doesn't boot off of any other device to ensure the update can run on reboot...

my .02

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Raid card no sleep.

I'm getting my mac pro with raid card somewere next week, i did not know that i would not be able to let it sleep with the card, any idea on the power consumption of the mac pro when it is idelling ?

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I'm getting my mac pro with raid card somewere next week, i did not know that i would not be able to let it sleep with the card, any idea on the power consumption of the mac pro when it is idelling ?

It will also (for the time being) prevent you from doing bootcamp.

mlsiemon

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
resolved, thanks!

It shouldn't fail. I have the APPLE RAID card and it's true that the card prevents the MP from actually sleeping (only the monitor as you mentioned) but I had no problems getting the firmware upgraded - on the first try :rolleyes:

6th time was the charm. :rolleyes: -- I simply had not held the power button down long enough when starting after the shutdown. If anyone else is the impatient type, do be sure to wait for the power light to go into its quickly flashing "status" mode. I saw that in the instructions, but was too casual about it...

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008

Same her, I tried over and over again, but version number doesnt change and the update is still avaible.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
6th time was the charm. :rolleyes: -- I simply had not held the power button down long enough when starting after the shutdown. If anyone else is the impatient type, do be sure to wait for the power light to go into its quickly flashing "status" mode. I saw that in the instructions, but was too casual about it...

Ehm, what does that mean "into its quickly flashing "status" mode"? Also, how long did you hold in the button?

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Ehm, what does that mean "into its quickly flashing "status" mode"? Also, how long did you hold in the button?

I held the button in for maybe 4 or 5 seconds and then the little
light on the front flashed on and off very quickly. I let it do that
for a couple of seconds and the released the button. It just took
one try of this to get the firmware to install.

KevinPlusPlus

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
USA

I did the update last night, I think I had to hold about 8-10 seconds. You just push the power button and keep holding and eventually the power light will blink rapidly. Once it starts blinking rapidly, you can release the power button. The Mac Pro will then make a high-pitched beep from the speaker and start the update process. You will see a gray screen with a progress bar during the update.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Like I said on the first page of this thread. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I bet most of the people with "issues" did not hold the power button in until it flashed/beeped. Firmware worked the first time and took all of 2 minutes to complete.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Dreaded update? What was so dreadful about it? It fixed my screen wonkiness like a charm.

Ugh.. now the spotlight menu is flickering when I type in letters.

Grr... I just *knew* it was a mistake to install that update lol

Ok, the problem with the HD2600XT firmware update is that it
supposedly increases idle energy usage by 23W and increases
the fan speed so making it noisier.

"I obtained confirmation from my AppleCare contact that the
raised energy usage and increased fan noise is an expected
result once the Apple 2600XT firmware update is installed."

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1436811&tstart=30

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Haven't had a reboot after sleep since updating, but it's only happened three times in the two weeks I've had my Mac Pro.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks, seems to have done the trick. A question, has apple said what this update actually does?

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
The SuperDrive bay opening was also curious....(takes off glasses, rubs chin)...but what does it all mean?

It's so that if the update were to fail or was somehow corrupt, you could use the EFI Recovery CD. It wouldn't make sense that it was engineered to prevent booting off of a DVD since only one of my Super Drives popped out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.